Which of these are worth using?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Guys and Gals.
Having a bit of a clear out in my garage and came across this lot.
Which of these do you reckon are worth using, if any?
They've all been kept out of direct sunlight but some of them are pretty old.
I didn't include my 13 individually wrapped Dunlop 65s because I already know the answer to that one, sorry Crow.
Here they are;

VuA9ZIa.jpg

(y)

D

Deleted member 3432

Tour Balata would be great fun and a great reminder how much easier it is with the modern ball.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Imurg

The Tour Balata and the 90 PTS

are rubber elastic wound and I bet the winding if not already having done so would quickly disintegrate and the balls goes out of shape.

Titleist used to say these balls have a shelf life of 3 years from the date on manufacture and the Tour Balatas use to have a use by date on the large box.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wish you could get a balata ball .. I would like to see some of these boys who think they are good try their hand

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tour Balata are worth £10 a ball to the idiots that want to play them with them with their 1980 sticks!
And they are knackered … however the 80 s sticks are not and the distance loss is not as big as everyone thinks when using the modern ball.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Thanks @Slime for another great thread.
I'm always more than happy to talk balls.

The Srixon Softfeel are usable all year round and most of my "best 8" scores were done with some white ones.
The Nikes and the NXT would be OK for me in the winter.
Never did like the Velocity or HP Eclipse. I did use HP2 sometimes.
All the rest, although perfectly good balls in their day and I played with them all, I would have no use for today - not old enough to suit my 1960s and 70s clubs and not young enough for my 21st century clubs.

I'm not an "idiot" with 1980s sticks. I don't play with any irons from the 1980s. (only one set of persimmons from the 80s and they were a bit "retro" when new)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spin , you got a lot of it. So the bad shots were bad and the good ones would come back to you. So you had to have a game where you could add it, apply it and reduce it.
Also clubs were not as forgiving
So skilful players shone
Not like today where high cappers can outdrive single figure lads because of the tech.
If you mishit one iron shot thin your ball was knackered.

TigerBear

Visit site
Also clubs were not as forgiving
So skilful players shone
Not like today where high cappers can outdrive single figure lads because of the tech.
If you mishit one iron shot thin your ball was knackered.

Would like to see us go back to the small driver heads and see guys trying to use gear effect exaggerate shot shape.

Although wouldn't like to see us go back to the days of thinning a shot and your brand new ball's ruined :ROFLMAO:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would like to see us go back to the small driver heads and see guys trying to use gear effect exaggerate shot shape.

Although wouldn't like to see us go back to the days of thinning a shot and your brand new ball's ruined :ROFLMAO:
I think we can have a durable ball but with the balata characteristics.. that to me is the distance solution. If we make the heads smaller there will possibly be an affect but it could also marginalise new starters to the game. I think if your a pretty good striker already (by that I mean you nail a small headed 5w - then your okay with a reduced size driver head) then the club head reduction won’t be a painful change. You may wind your overall speed back to improve your contact but that will probably yield a drop of 5mph of head speed. The ball will pull the distance back.