Which is a good winter ball. Distance required

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Hello
Now that winter is approaching and the greens are going to hold etc, what is a good winter ball.
I am a senior with a relatively slow swing speed, so distances are going to be a lot lower than summer ones.
Recommendations please

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why not the same ball as summer? Unless your playing a super high end premium ball its prob not worth switching around.

AD-333 would suffice, otherwise go lakeballs and get a bunch there to account for the higher loss rate over winter.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't feel that distance changes much from ball to ball in real life scenarios.
All balls are designed to be lowish spin from the driver to maximise distance and even Titleist say there's not much more than 5 yards between all their balls from the tee.
I always go from the short game out. That's where there will be a difference in feel but, again, not much in distance.
Play a ball that will give you what you want around the greens.
With softer greens I often find a premium ball spins too much and I get unwanted backspin, unless I've picked past the pin ( which ain't often!)
I tend to use Titleist Tour Soft or similar in the winter.
For some reason I don't tend to spin the backside of a Chromesoft either so, for me, they make a good winter ball too.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i use a Pro v 1 in summer but up here with the air pressure and cold in winter i can lose 20 yards with a prem ball

last winter i used a Pink callaway super soft, and didn't lose any distance with this ball, i fouund it hardly spun at all, but with the soft greens stopped fine.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
AD333 or the AD333 tour my preferred choice. I've still got a load of Titleist NXT to get through as well. Tempted to test the theory that Pinnacle Soft is actually the NXT (or equivalent model) and made on the same production line but simply re-branded and aimed at a different market and try those as well

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I used to play Dunlops from Sports Direct through the winter. Course I played could get boggy in quite a lot of places, plus the leaves on the ground made it sometimes impossible to find a ball.
I guess it depends on the level you play at, but for most golfers the ball isn't going to make a huge difference in winter.

I've also ised Tour Specials (it's a Srixon ball), they're cheap as chips and perform well enough, also the Inesis from Decathlon. Saw a review on them a week or so ago and a lot of the figures on spin, distance etc were pretty good.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you still want greenside control ( a big factor for me)

due to the fact that the greens are a bit slower I switch from a spin version of a premium ball to a distance version of a premium ball.

What I use in Summer is Bridgestone B330RXS and in winter B330RX. I do not know however what the current models are called.

In the Autumn when our greens are still relatively fast I have been trying Wilson DX3 urethane but again I do not know what the current version is called.

AS Imurg says the Chrome soft is a lw compression ball and probably makes a good all year round ball , personally I do not like the feel of the graphene version.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Titleist Velocity is designed for distance, that's mainly why I use them. Seems to go pretty straight as well, I've probably lost these at slower rate than any other ball I've used in the past. In intend to keep using them through the winter to continue maximising distance (hopefully).

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
AD333 or the AD333 tour my preferred choice. I've still got a load of Titleist NXT to get through as well. Tempted to test the theory that Pinnacle Soft is actually the NXT (or equivalent model) and made on the same production line but simply re-branded and aimed at a different market and try those as well
I used the pinnacle soft for the last 2 rounds and really like it, I normally use a mix of brands, mostly Wilson dx2 and trying the ad333 (like them too) but I might stick with pinnacle for the winter cheap and performing well so far

Robin Hood

Visit site
Titleist Velocity is designed for distance, that's mainly why I use them. Seems to go pretty straight as well, I've probably lost these at slower rate than any other ball I've used in the past. In intend to keep using them through the winter to continue maximising distance (hopefully).
Agreed - Velocities for me

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Winter golf is such a variable that it is impossible to give a specific answer to which ball. Sometimes a course can be extremely wet with no run and soft greens, sometimes it can be rock hard with frost and greens like concrete, and other times it will be like a summer's day.

AdamW

Visit site
You can get some orange slazenger v300 balls 48 for £18 in sports direct.

Not sure how good they are as I am still loosing too many balls to buy new, but they are orange so will help finding them amongst all the bloody leaves :ROFLMAO:

stevenk

Hacker
Visit site
DX2 for me all year round slow swing speed so they work for me. Using the orange at the moment really stand out both in the air and the fairways.