• New Wedge

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • None

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok so i'm considering buying a new club. either a new driver, a 3 iron or a 56 degree wedge and I'm looking for advice. Why the need for these clubs you might ask, well........

Driver - recently had a driver lesson and the pro told me the loft, shaft and driver itself dont suit me and that I would get a lot more out of a 9.5 degree driver with a different shaft (30-40 yeards and increased accuracy off the tee which is real problem for me at the moment. Rough cost of club £100 (inc £100 trade in for old driver).

3 iron - Bought a new set at the end of 2011 and have been hitting them beautifully. With my old set my 4 iron was a tough enough ask but a 3 iron would have been a no no. With my new irons the 4 iron is now one of the best clubs in my bag. 3 iron would offer me more distance off the tee and reduce my need to bring out the big dog. Rough cost of club £80

56 degree wedge - my 54 degree wedge has seen better days. The old guy has served me well but needs to be put out to pasture soon enough. Also I play a 50 degree wedge and a 60 degree so a 56 degree would probably be a better balance between the two. And yes I do want to have the 3 wedges. Rough cost of club £70

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Since your having lessons and trying to change your swing I wouldn't go getting a driver just yet until you have a new repeatable swing to get fitted with.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Since your having lessons and trying to change your swing I wouldn't go getting a driver just yet until you have a new repeatable swing to get fitted with.

That's one of the major things holding me back from getting the driver. The only thing is I feel like I'm not far off actually fully implementing the changes. The changes are really only to my driver swing and they don't feel like whole sale changes. Having said that if I do go down the new driver route i would definitely give it a few more rounds and range trips before I went for a fitting.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
On a slightly different note if I do go for a new wedge what's a good bounce to go for? I would like the 56 degree to my go to sand wedge but still want to use it off the fairway. I play on different courses with different sand.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i think the rule of thumb is, the softer the ground you play on the more bounce is needed to stop the leading edge digging in too easily.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If I was promised 30-40 yards more distance just by buying a new driver, then it's no contest. Your current one must be really shonky if a new one is guaranteed to give you that much of an improvement.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Dump your wedges and go for a 52° and 58°, buy a new driver and I'd personally TRY a few hybrids.... but not ugly ones :) if you really can't find one that suits your swing then get the 3-iron.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
That will be 4.
Sell the 60, you dont need it and get a 56
And buy a driver

I quite like this as an idea. I do like my 60 degree but dont use it that often and would get more use out a 56. I could then just open the face of the 56 if the need for a 60 degree ever rears its head. Time to shine up the clubs to see what they'll offer me.

AG have already said they'll give me £100 for the g15 driver. and if they give me in and around £40 for the vokey I could do my swap over for about £160 quid. Have to say I'm very impressed how well the pings keep their value.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
If I was promised 30-40 yards more distance just by buying a new driver, then it's no contest. Your current one must be really shonky if a new one is guaranteed to give you that much of an improvement.

It wasnt so much of a promise but more of a "you could get up to 30-40 yards". It was through a combination of equipment and technique. My spin rate for my driver was 6500 and he suggested that 2500 was what it should be. My driver was also hitting the ball way too high. Oh and a different shaft would be better suited to my swing speed.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Dump your wedges and go for a 52° and 58°, buy a new driver and I'd personally TRY a few hybrids.... but not ugly ones :) if you really can't find one that suits your swing then get the 3-iron.

This doesnt sound like a bad idea either but does sound like a more expensive option. The limit to my budget at the moment is probably around the £150 mark.

AxelBenito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am going to hijack this thread, to save paper.

I currently have 5i to SW and no other wedges, what other wedge do you suggest?

I have 3h, 4h, 3w and driver, oh and a putter.

Cheers,

Al