Which ball?

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There seems to be quite a bit of choice now for which golf ball to use. Lots of my friends swear by the Titleist Pro V1 but £10 for a sleeve is too much for me (especially as I tend to loose them all after 9 holes).

Are there any decent alternatives out there that aren't quite so pricey??

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Srixon is a new one to me and finding it gives gd distance and great feel but have to say do go for the Pro V1 when feeling flush!

My local pro says its vital you use the same ball and never use pick ups...not personally sure it's that important!

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm with True Blue on the Srixon - I had never used them until a few weeks ago when a work colleague advised me to give them a go. No complaints so far and as well as the distance and feel they seem to be quite hard-wearing.

BigStu

Hacker
Visit site
I think at the top end of the golf ball range there will not be much difference between the Titleist, Callaway or Srixon ball!

Having tried and tested most I think the HX Tour from Callaway, with the six deeper dimples, does perform better in the wind.

Apparantly Titleist have taken all their designs from the likes of Callaway and Bridgestone anyway.

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting one this. Would love to see a blind test of all golf's top balls - as much as it's possible within the limitations of certain giveaway dimple patterns. I'd bet a very large sum that plenty of ProV1 devotees would fail to pick out the Titleist in an identity parade. For all but the elite player the differences are so small as to be barely discernible. What does anyone else think??

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
I have an idea....

If you lose a lot of balls go to JJB £20 for 54 slazengers, they are OK seriously...
Most golfers have this hangup about using the best ball, but lets get real, the ball is the last thing to affect your game... What would people think if you played a really good round with a slazenger? What would people think if you played really awful but had a Pro V1? More to the point either way what does it matter to you??? Most balls are lost or damaged after a game anyway, unless if you've got plenty of money or the preference of a ball truly has an impact on your game then keep to the £10 per dozen balls or slazengers at £20 for 54 and save your money for a side bet or the 19 hole, you'll enjoy it a lot more!

The Golfer

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That makes a lot of sense. As you rightly say, if by some miracle I finish the round with the same ball as I started, it's badly scuffed and I probably wouldn't use it again. I'll give the Slazengers a go... I let you know if they turn my already weak game to jelly.

Thanks for the advice