Where to buy a new mobile phone?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Battery on existing phone is dying and not replaceable - so I need to get a new mobile. Only need a Sim free phone (& not a new contract) . Probably looking at a Samsung. Any suggestions as to where the best deals are?

And is the internet a good place to buy? There's loads of sellers there , most of whom you've never heard of. I might chance it for something worth only a few quid, but is it risky for something that might be 3 or 4 hundred?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a OnePlus a few years ago, was decent enough, but since then they seemed to have upped prices and charge the same as the premium brands.

If going with Android, which it sounds like, then I would look for an Android One phone. Basically, this means it is running stock Android from Google, with none of the customisations that the phone manufacturers make. It tends to mean better compatibility, and you will get the updates as they are published instead of waiting for the phone manufacturers to package them.

I haven't been on a contract for ages, and just buy phones as I need them, last year I picked up the Nokia 7.1 which I thought was among the best Android One phones at the time, but there are a few out there, so have a look as to what fits your needs and budget.

User20204

Visit site
Your battery is replaceable, they all are, problem is it's not an easy job also a lot of fake batteries out there saying they are genuine.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
For a good value, stock android phone with a great camera I went for a pixel 3. Reconditioned ones turn up on Amazon every now and again at good prices

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last phone I bought direct from the manufacturer (Motorola).

samsung.com/uk

The even offer trade in on your old phone

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My iPhone7 battery health is at 70% now, I just bought a £15 external battery and a long cable, no need to buy a new phone.
Quite (and indeed, l already have an external battery pack for phone/tablet/etc for those occasions when l am likely to be away from a charging source for a while) but i don't really want to be lugging about a phone, a battery & a cable for day to day use.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your battery is replaceable, they all are, problem is it's not an easy job also a lot of fake batteries out there saying they are genuine.
Yes, but l am of the persuasion that some are designed to be replaced, and others merely can be replaced - if you have time and inclination to dismantle a phone not so designed for the purpose. I am of the persuasion that life is too short.

And any how, my current is a crappy phone.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Quite (and indeed, l already have an external battery pack for phone/tablet/etc for those occasions when l am likely to be away from a charging source for a while) but i don't really want to be lugging about a phone, a battery & a cable for day to day use.

You get used to it, it’s a bit like owning an electric car.

User20204

Visit site
My iPhone7 battery health is at 70% now, I just bought a £15 external battery and a long cable, no need to buy a new phone.

I have to be honest and say the only reason I would need to upgrade from my S6 is purely battery life alone, the phone itself does everything I need it to do and the camera is still great. It does require constant charging during the day as I do use it a lot but I guess the battery pack is the easiest answer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Remember back in the day when the battery could simply be unclipped a new one put on? Then at some point (I guess along with smartphones) they decided the battery has to be fixed in and thus difficult to remove. As you said in your other post, almost every time I've had to change phones it's because the battery life has wound down to impractical levels, while all the functions and apps are pretty much fine. I wish you could just purchase a new battery and swap them over cheaply and easily, then I could make a phone last 5 years probably, rather than the 18 months they usually seem to last me.

User20204

Visit site
....and that is most probably the reason why the batteries aren't removable now, the companies wouldn't sell new phones if they were.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Remember back in the day when the battery could simply be unclipped a new one put on? Then at some point (I guess along with smartphones) they decided the battery has to be fixed in and thus difficult to remove. As you said in your other post, almost every time I've had to change phones it's because the battery life has wound down to impractical levels, while all the functions and apps are pretty much fine. I wish you could just purchase a new battery and swap them over cheaply and easily, then I could make a phone last 5 years probably, rather than the 18 months they usually seem to last me.

A lot of it is to do with manufacturing process/cost/waterproofing etc.
Making the battery removable makes all of the above cost extra. Also having seen Apple get away with it they have seen that the public are generally ok with it.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, I'll bite.
What part of owning an electric car means that you're lugging spare batteries and cables around on a day to day basis?

More about how you are always thinking about the battery level and where you next charge is... At 70% battery health my mobile phone is a lot less mobile!

A big part of non-removable batteries is gaining that all important water resistance/proofing rating. It’s a huge selling point that you can drop your £1000 phone in the toilet and it will still work.

Phones are mostly glued together now, change that for a removable back and kiss goodbye to waterproofing.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I have to be honest and say the only reason I would need to upgrade from my S6 is purely battery life alone, the phone itself does everything I need it to do and the camera is still great. It does require constant charging during the day as I do use it a lot but I guess the battery pack is the easiest answer.
Why not look at a Motorola G7 Plus? Excellent battery life, almost stock Android and good pricing.