Where to buy a new mobile phone?

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
More about how you are always thinking about the battery level and where you next charge is... At 70% battery health my mobile phone is a lot less mobile!

A big part of non-removable batteries is gaining that all important water resistance/proofing rating. It’s a huge selling point that you can drop your £1000 phone in the toilet and it will still work.

Phones are mostly glued together now, change that for a removable back and kiss goodbye to waterproofing.

Have had my electric for nearly four years now, and don't think about the charge level any more than I did the diesel level back in the day. I don't have to lug spare cables or battery around either (yet ;)). It's like anything else, it's just managing things.

Weird thing is about the waterproofing on mobiles, they advertise it as a thing but then refuse to guarantee them if they get wet.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have had my electric for nearly four years now, and don't think about the charge level any more than I did the diesel level back in the day. I don't have to lug spare cables or battery around either (yet ;)). It's like anything else, it's just managing things.

Weird thing is about the waterproofing on mobiles, they advertise it as a thing but then refuse to guarantee them if they get wet.

Regarding the waterproofing, it's a bit sneaky really, but it's all in the ratings. Most phones that claim to be waterproof are IP65 rated. You can look up the IP ratings, but the first number refers to solid particle eg dust protection and the second moisture protection. In this case, for the moisture protection rating, the 5 means that the device can withstand water sprayed from a 6.3mm nozzle. For any kind of immersion protection, you need a 7 or 8 rating.

So effectively a waterproof phone is waterproof from getting splashed, but not dropped in water as most consumers would imagine after being told something is waterproof.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
More about how you are always thinking about the battery level and where you next charge is... At 70% battery health my mobile phone is a lot less mobile!

A big part of non-removable batteries is gaining that all important water resistance/proofing rating. It’s a huge selling point that you can drop your £1000 phone in the toilet and it will still work.

Phones are mostly glued together now, change that for a removable back and kiss goodbye to waterproofing.

My phone has a removable back which is needed to insert the sim card and the memory card. Are the phone charger and earphone sockets waterproof?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to update folks (and thanks for the advice), l seriously considered an Android One phone, but in the end l settled on a Samsung A8 - from Argos of all places. Think l got a pretty decent price - l dont believe their "Reduced by £100..." blurb, but in fairness, couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else.

Only problem now is that the darn thing is way more intelligent than me & I haven't a clue about half the things it can do ...