Where is everyone from? What’s everyone’s handicap and what’s everyone’s home course?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Originally from the sub-tropical paradise of Middlesbrough, were I first played in 1968. Lived and played throughout the UK and Ireland before moving to southern Spain 2 years ago. Sadly arthritis from way too much sport has led to a premature retirement from the game. My last game was in December, playing off 6, in which I came 3rd. I might sneak the odd casual knock this year but spending an increasing number of days on painkillers afterwards doesn't appeal.

Chico84

Visit site
Ealing GC is a gem btw.

A bit far away for membership (especially with Hammersmith Bridge closed indefinitely) but it looks great so will definitely bear it in mind for a round or two when the weather improves. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rochdale lad Louise me duck. Lived there from 63-70 and emigrated to Mansfield as me dad followed his mining career.
Always go back to Bury 3 or 4 times a year to get me rations. Just love Manchester for a night out.
if I don’t get me Holland’s pies, black pub and Lancashire crumbly cheese on oven bottom muffins. Depression creeps in.
I grew up in Cheshire and a Hollands Meat & Potato pie was unsurpassed in the culinary world when I was growing up. Hollands don't sell up here, they don't do meat and potato pies here full stop. I'd forgotten how much I loved them until your post made me reminisce ?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Originally from Shrewsbury, now living in Kingswinford which is between wolves and Stourbridge. Member at the Staffordshire (the artist formerly known as Swindon and blackhills before that). Currently off 30, prior to joining in September I only really played 5-6 times a year at most, so I’m hoping that playing weekly will help me get that hcp down below 25 before the end of the year.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks ,had a couple of injury’s but fit and well now.
Off to Ping Monday for a full bag fit so will be ready to go soon as it stops raining.
63 this year so it will have to happen soon :)

Once you can get out and playing regularly and get the feel around the greens on point it'll happen. Shiny new bats are always good for a few shots off the handicap

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Originally from the sub-tropical paradise of Middlesbrough, were I first played in 1968. Lived and played throughout the UK and Ireland before moving to southern Spain 2 years ago. Sadly arthritis from way too much sport has led to a premature retirement from the game. My last game was in December, playing off 6, in which I came 3rd. I might sneak the odd casual knock this year but spending an increasing number of days on painkillers afterwards doesn't appeal.

Arthritis is a killer, after further x-rays a couple of weeks ago I was told I have to prepare for a lifetime of pain as my arthritis is now in all my toes. I've already had three operations on my feet, two fusions and bone removed. Told they won't do any further operations and things will only get worse. No sugar coating from my doctor!

Throw that in with the arthritis in my wrists and thumbs coupled with tendonitis I'm not in great shape for early/mid 40's. I fully intend to play as much as I can over the next few years as like you there will come a day that it's just too painful.

At present I use graphite shafts and thicker grips which make a difference at impact. Let's see how long the feet hold out for.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Damn. That bad mate?
Sort of. We could have played some Saturdays but we dot around the north east for the winter league I run over the winter so we missed some. In general they got the course open and then it rained before the weekend and had to close it! They’re looking at a new drainage programme next year. The year before last when we had the prolonged heatwave they had a drone over the course which showed the drainage going through the tree copses. 20 years of root growth has collapsed a lot of the pipes. In fairness there’s not been many parkland courses open up here this year. Of the ones that were open, many should’ve been shut.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Grew up and lived all my life in Mirfield, West Yorkshire, Dewsbury District GC was my first club and played there as a junior and an adult (intermittently). Had a 3 year spell at Willow Valley where I got my handicap to 18 before moving out to Spain last year. Play in a society here, my nearest courses are La Finca and Vistabella - which is where I tend to go for a practice or the occasional round with my lad.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Originally from mid-Notts but now in south London. Off 18 at Dulwich & Sydenham Hill.

I’m in Tooting, London. I don’t have a handicap at the moment as I’ve only been playing about 8 months, but I expect it would be high if I did. No home course at present either but I play at the Oaks in Carshalton a fair bit. Tossing up whether to join Wimbledon Common or potentially Hampton Court in the summer though. Sadly given the deteriorating traffic situation recently most Surrey clubs are a bit too tricky to get to on a consistent basis to make a membership worthwhile.
We've got plenty members from Tooting area - if you're thinking of joining somewhere, we're worth a thought