Where Does Golf Stand in Your Financial Priorities

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just had the displeasure of being put on a 4 day week for the next couple of months due to the current economic downturn and impact on the housing market. Now faced with the decision of either general economising, which will have an impact on both me and my wife, or giving up the golf membership for the forseeable. Whilst my first thought would be to take the second option, golf plays a large part in my de-stressing after work and my relaxation when out of the office. It is also ironic that I will have more time to play but less funds to spend on playing.
Anyway, faced with the choice, and no children to support as if I had kids I would not think twice about hanging up the clubs, would you be able to give up this game or would you struggle in other areas in order to keep playing.

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
for me it would be like this just when ya sit down to tea place her tea on a copy of the local jobs page i think they come out today and point out that she needs to start and pull her weight as you wont have time to spend on her as you will be down the golf club more for the next few months !!!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Explain to the wife the pros of keeping your membership, Point out what that does health wise for you in terms of stress releif.

If things are that tight then just use the range or local muni every other week like I have been the last couple of months.

For me, Golf is near the bottom of the list, once the bills and food are paid for if and if we have enough left I will be playing golf that month, if not I am not.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Suspect that is what I always thought I would end up doing. Not easy to accept that it is likely to be one game a month and no more shiny new sticks for the forseeable. Bet the weather improves now as well!!!

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
golf membership comes first on my recreational money.

I more or less stopped going to the pub cause of golf!

its not just the money side its also the time side.

i work constant night shift so i don't have normal time with my family, basically a few hours together at night before i go to work so i cant go to the pub say 1 day at the weekend then say the other day at the golf course.

Roll on the early light mornings as i can go golfing after work (finish at 7.30am) then still have all my time with the family as they are at school or work. yippee

At the end of the day pick carefully where your money goes first, if your fee's are £40 per month then that's £10 per week and in turn that's 3 or 4 pints. Look at it that way.
If you smoke then there you go sacrifice that, get healthy and play your golf.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
It is a low priority in the great scheme of things as I have to a) make sure my partner and litle one are comfortable, I have an expensive wedding to pay for and a honeymoon too.

As for social budget, golf takes priority over everything else.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just had the displeasure of being put on a 4 day week for the next couple of months due to the current economic downturn and impact on the housing market. Now faced with the decision of either general economising, which will have an impact on both me and my wife, or giving up the golf membership for the forseeable. Whilst my first thought would be to take the second option, golf plays a large part in my de-stressing after work and my relaxation when out of the office. It is also ironic that I will have more time to play but less funds to spend on playing.
Anyway, faced with the choice, and no children to support as if I had kids I would not think twice about hanging up the clubs, would you be able to give up this game or would you struggle in other areas in order to keep playing.

sorry to hear that GB. Hope it sorts itself out. I too have to run a fairly tight ship in order to play and there's not much slack left if the income stream shrinks.

The pub is now a once in a while treat- at £3.40 for a pint of the dark stuff in my local quite a rare treat at that. Against a fourpack at £4 from the offie' it's a no-brainer.

I think I would ditch the membership and pay-and-play with 2-fore-1's (or similar)with a mate once in a while to keep my hand in until things looked up and you'll have those great matched irons from SRG on standby when they do.

Needs must when the devil drives.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As somebody who has experienced life on VERY limited funds for a 2 year period my priorities were and still are

1) Golf
2 Golf
3) Food
4) Golf
5) Health
6) The Wife
7) Golf

Only kidding but in reality I put as much time into being able to hit a ball be it a bucket once a week at the range or saving the coppers for a round at the local muni.

It gave me time to get out of the house and have some quality thinking time. Fortunately times are a bit better now and I'm able to afford my membership fees this year!!

GB72 I hope it works out for you soon and doesn't end up impacting your golf too much

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the words of support, greatly appreciated. Hopefully will still get out once a month with the odd trip to the range.

At least with a day off in the week now I may be able to pick up some bargain last minute rounds.

T

thecraw

Think Madandra has the best solution pal. Suspend your membership for a season and take it from there. Hopefully your mates will rally round and sign you on to their courses etc.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
On how much things cost me each month

1) Property (Mortgage) Looking to buy our second house early next year so saving like mad on top of mortgage.
2) Bills, including savings for new car etc
3) Holidays
4) Social life, meals out etc
5) Golf

I reckon I spend about £100-£150 a month on golf so it is still a relatively big expenditure.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
HTL you could be banned from the forum. dont you know its rules to spend at least £1000000 pounds on golf per annum. Your not reaching Benchmarks Boy!!!

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would love to mate but the joint bank account with H.I.D is crippling my golf splurges "lets save for our future" "lets save for babies"