Where do you buy your golf clubs from?

evemccc

Visit site
I'm not aiming for an 'online/AG vs support your pro' line here but I'm interested to learn where people buy from, and why. Interested specifically in clubs and other big purchases that may have been trialled or custom fit, rather than generic golf equipment like tees, towels and balls etc.

So far I have bought everything n ebay / golfbidder, and in the main it has worked out pretty well. Hopefully I'll be in a position to upgrade a few key clubs this year, and want those to be custom fit.

My question is really, where do you buy and why....the pro shops I've seen have not such a huge range of options. But people disparage AG..

I presume pro shops are all part of a buying group? So their rates would be very similar to each other would they? Or is there a disparity (like other areas of retail) between pro shops?

If I get fitted from an independent custom fitter, would they have higher rates than a pro shop?
Booked for a Vokey fitting for a wedge. If I was to buy from Titleist, would it be cheaper or more expensive, or offer any benefit, rather than buying the same Vokey wedge from AG
Are AG rates much cheaper than pro shop rates?

Cheers
P.S What are general pro-shop rates for re-gripping, re-shafting, examining lie-angles?

D

Deleted member 15344

Independant Fitter for my last two sets of irons , wedges and last 4 drivers ( that’s about 10 years worth )

Found the prices for what I bought to be the same as what you would expect in a Pro Shop or AG

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Largely Ebay. There is a decent sized second hand shop in Newcastle which I have bought from over the years.

Back in the day I bought a few items via the AG bargain bin. These have largely disappeared now which is a shame. I'm not in the anti AG brigade, they provide a good service out and about, essential for those of us who don't have pro shops, or decent pro shops in their vicinity.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What's currently in the bag is from Golfbidder, Golfclubsforcash and Ebay
Irons were 100 quid and replaced irons that were custom fitted that were bought from the fitter.
I get better contact and better results with them just less distance
In 2 minds whether to get fitted again or DIY which, to be honest, seems to work more often than not.
Fitter prices were very favourable and price matching commonplace

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Booked for a Vokey fitting for a wedge. If I was to buy from Titleist, would it be cheaper or more expensive, or offer any benefit, rather than buying the same Vokey wedge from AG
Are AG rates much cheaper than pro shop rates?

Cheers
P.S What are general pro-shop rates for re-gripping, re-shafting, examining lie-angles?

Titleist will not sell direct. After fitting at a Titleist Fitting Centre they will pass the order to your local Titleist retailer/pro shop.

D

Deleted member 18588

If price is a determining factor then AG would probably be the last place I would look.

For sometime now they have not been competitive.

If you are being fitted then the expertise of the fitter is paramount plus the range of options, clubs and shafts, at his disposal.

Best option might be to pay for an independent fitting and then shop around armed with your specs.

D

Deleted member 1147

Pro shop; become normally have some cash on account from twos/winnings, and I tend to get fittings from the pro staff.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everything was ebay at the start, had far more hits than misses. But as I started to contact the ball better and more regularly I found custom fitting produced a better result - those clubs will stay in the bag a lot longer imo. Driver fitted at AG and no complaints - not all AGs are the same. Indeed it was just a good fitter cos I went back to the same store and had a different fitter who was useless.

Irons were a Mizuno day. Fantasy fitting.

Wedges, putter, 4 hybrid, 2 iron and 3 wood all ebays. Trial and error. The wedges are 2009 and the hybrid even older.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's a mix for me, my last two drivers came from Golfbidder new, irons are TM MC TP (2014) so can't get them new any more, having owned two sets, I got them both on eBay. Putter, wedges , bag etc I got from my local indy golf store who always give me a great deal.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
whilst I havent bought anything from the Pro at my new club, I did buy my driver from my previous club pro after a fitting session with them. I also got a rangefinder off them at the same time so they did a deal on the pair.

The club pro shop has a good selection of demo clubs, I dont think I would try them if I didnt have any intention of buying from him if successful.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing that has struck me over the past few months on this forum is how very rarely the advice is "see your club pro". There definitely seems to be a massive shift from the pro shop being the automatic first port of call for all things equipment and advice.

With that, I'd be surprised if more than 20%, just at a rough guess, of responses say they bought most of their gear from their pro.

I put my current gear together from nothing after stopping playing for a while. Irons from ebay, originally 3 degrees up and an inch longer, I always regrip any clubs I buy so just lopped half an inch off and paid my pro to check and adjust the lie angles.

Couple of new hybrids from the same pro after a Mizuno fitting.

Driver, 3 wood and putter eBay, wedges brand new from local High St golf store at the beginning of last year.

We were given 50 quid vouchers after coming home from the Gulf the year before last, hence I used AG for the bag, but wouldn't normally.

Shoes are a mix of ebay, local store and current pro shop.

Personally I'd rather always use the club pro, but that's often not the easiest option.

Yeah same feeling chap, but then our pro hasn’t a great range. Went about the Titleist driver and he said he could only do a few shafts cos he can’t keep the stock. At which point youre not dropping 400+ on a “that’s the best I have”. Buy plenty from our shop but never clubs

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing that has struck me over the past few months on this forum is how very rarely the advice is "see your club pro". There definitely seems to be a massive shift from the pro shop being the automatic first port of call for all things equipment and advice.

With that, I'd be surprised if more than 20%, just at a rough guess, of responses say they bought most of their gear from their pro.

I put my current gear together from nothing after stopping playing for a while. Irons from ebay, originally 3 degrees up and an inch longer, I always regrip any clubs I buy so just lopped half an inch off and paid my pro to check and adjust the lie angles.

Couple of new hybrids from the same pro after a Mizuno fitting.

Driver, 3 wood and putter eBay, wedges brand new from local High St golf store at the beginning of last year.

We were given 50 quid vouchers after coming home from the Gulf the year before last, hence I used AG for the bag, but wouldn't normally.

Shoes are a mix of ebay, local store and current pro shop.

Personally I'd rather always use the club pro, but that's often not the easiest option.
Of the 4 clubs near to me only 1 has a pro, not mine. He sells mainly high end clothes, Boss, Footjoy, and a few top end clubs. I don't blame him, it suits his market but it isn't a shop that you would use to buy your bag.

You can only use a pro if you have one but equally if you don't use them then accept you may end up like the clubs around me and relying on AG etc

Mandofred

Visit site
They used to but have stopped doing it.
Well, guess I won't bother to stop in any more (it's been a good while now). Too bad....it was real close to a Taco Bell in York.

If I buy any more clubs, I might just do a fitting. Although....other than the Ping place an hour and a half away......no idea of other good sites closer than that for other brands. Sure not driving further than that.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have had experience with clubhouse golf and golf online.

I joined a club on the play more golf membership a few years ago but never felt part of the club.

I joined up last year but because of COVID haven’t had the opportunity to talk to the pro.

Personally it comes down to price and service. If the local pro shop is offering a good service and stock is at reasonable prices I would go to them. As in my opinion you cannot beat the personal touch and an expert helping you choose. That said of costs are unreasonable and service not there I would happily go to an online retailer

Mandofred

Visit site
My local pro shop will price match American Golf so no contest.
Ours is in partnership with Snainton.....so he matches whatever the price at Snainton is. Problem is....like a lot of places....the stock to look from isn't very big. If you want to try a number of different brands, you can't do it. We usually hold a testing day for most brands on our practice field....I've never been in the market for new stuff when these have taken place.

D

Deleted member 16999

Pro Shop, also known as Bargain Golf Equipment, he will price match or more often than not beat any other price depending on whether you are trading in or paying up front.

Doesn’t stock all Brands, but has access to most.

Also does the standard pro stuff, regrips, reshafts, lessons etc.

i*windows

Visit site
ebay for all the clubs I have had, with the exception of my putter which was fit by Andy Paisley at Hexham.
I know what specs I need and what works best for me. I've always fancied a set of nice Mizuno's custom fit, but tbh I'd rather spend that sort of money on my kids.