Where do we stand on Rory now?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Aside from all the nonsense eg he'll never win again/he's a busted flush where do we think the boy wonder is now? One commentator said last night that he should be the new favourite for the PGA in a couple of weeks which seemed like a big leap of faith though obviously he's done the business at Kiawah before.

It's a pretty big turnaround from where he was (which wasn't quite the crisis that everyone was making out) and it's nice that Harry Diamond is getting a bit of love after his help at the 18th. Watched all of Sunday's round and thought Rory's demeanour was incredible, seemed to flat line all day which seems to be the plan. Lovely to see

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I've always liked him as a player, and think that the press (and us) give him a lot of grief when he isn't playing well. Although I don't think he's the favourite for the PGA, there is definite improvement, and it was good to see him win without hi "A" game (his driving game was around G or H!) and that he ground out a 72 on day 1 whereas in years past he may have tried lots of hero shots and ended up shooting 78/79 and be on his way home on Friday. His course management seems much improved as well.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
When Rory is on it he’s one of if not the best to watch for me.
I dint see him going on a winning streak tho.
As for majors,I wouldn’t be surprised if he wins one or misses the cut.

Grizzly

Visit site
He played well enough but this was very much a victory ground out with the putter, his ball striking still some way short of its glorious best!

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
He played well enough but this was very much a victory ground out with the putter, his ball striking still some way short of its glorious best!
I think you are right Grizzly, The stats say he holed every one of his 52 putts that he had from 6 feet and closer

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
great to see Rory winning again. Let's hope that his new coaching team can help him stay on track and fulfil his potential (y)

sunshine

Visit site
Proven winner on Tour, major winner who has won at Kiawah, now on form with a win at just the right time against a strong field. Why wouldn't Rory be favourite for the USPGA?

The way I see it, if any of the "big names" go into a major on form with a recent win(s) under their belt they are the favourite.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Proven winner on Tour, major winner who has won at Kiawah, now on form with a win at just the right time against a strong field. Why wouldn't Rory be favourite for the USPGA?

The way I see it, if any of the "big names" go into a major on form with a recent win(s) under their belt they are the favourite.
Agree with this - exactly same way Jordan Spieth was favourite for the Masters - won on course before and win recently.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hardly a surprise to me. Has his play been that bad? He missed two cuts, one of which he was paired with BDC who managed to scramble his head for a while. Quail Hollow he clearly likes so that's an advantage as well. Hairball_89 summed it up well. Maybe we can talk about someone else for a change.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Hardly a surprise to me. Has his play been that bad? He missed two cuts, one of which he was paired with BDC who managed to scramble his head for a while. Quail Hollow he clearly likes so that's an advantage as well. Hairball_89 summed it up well. Maybe we can talk about someone else for a change.
YOU Can talk about whoever you like,as can anyone else ??

D

Deleted member 1147

He's exactly where he's been for the last 10 years.
One of the best players on the planet, who's always capable of winning, and is therefore always one of the favourites.
All that's happened, like with so many of the top players in history, is that he's had a poor spell.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Maybe we can talk about someone else for a change.

I really don't understand comments like these on a public forum. If you don't want to talk about Rory. Don't go in the thread discussing the very thing you don't want to talk about.

The other great thing about a public for. Is, you can start a new thread to talk about any other players you want to talk about.

Its a great system that works well if you embrace it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
In most tournaments where someone wins by one to two shots, there is a large degree of luck involved. If someone wins by 6 or 7, not so much. Rory has been playing decently enough, 10 top-10s since his last win, and could have won events, but didn't. Some of those near misses were just the way things worked out. The better team sometimes loses, the worse team sometimes wins.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rory has been due a win for a while now he’s to good not to have won.
Now that he has I expect him to go on and win more without such a big break in between.
Let’s be honest it was a bit of a scramble and hardly vintage Rory,luckily he didn’t need a par to win.
For all the ones who said he would never win again to quote MarkT they are clearly deluded,however no more deluded than the ones who say he’s head and shoulders above the rest.
Tiger was head and shoulders above the rest and proved it,Rory hasn’t.
I would just like to add I don’t think Rory or BDC will ever win the Masters.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not sure what we’re supposed to say, take your pick I suppose:

A] He's too good. it was only a matter of time before he won again
B] Even a broken watch is right twice a day

He’s still capable to shoot 8 worse than the leader or top the field... this week he did both

In case anyone missed it, Garrick Higgo, now that was an incredible demeanour on show

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think he may have been the most impacted by Covid - playing well when golf got cancelled, lacking something without fans, and probably had the more hectic change to life with baby arriving.

Anyway, he's just won, course history and top 10 in the world. Yes he's one of the favorites but these are seriously hard to win so stiff competition. Iain Carter on BBC says it's premature to start discussing him winning majors but i've never understood this when he's clearly capable, just got to find that little something extra on the week.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Have I got a wrong impression, but was he hitting fades mostly on his drives?
I thought he was, and that this is new for him. He seemed to have more control doing it, and that fact that distance is not the "be all and end all "of a fade may have calmed him down somewhat. Plus the added concentration of creating a fade ( for him)?