Where can we submit a new golf course website for feedback?

ship69

Hacker
Visit site
Hello

We are developing a new, high-resolution website for a small golf course. Where can we submit the website so as to get some friendly reviews and feedback about the website? Fwiw, the site is created using SquareSpace...

Many thanks

J

PS If anyone would like to have a look at our site please private message me.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Just post the link here.
You'll get (mostly) honest reviews with maybe a bit of advise.
If you only want 'friendly' reviews, then you're wasting your time. You need honest and constructive criticism in order to make it perfect.
Being told only what you want to hear won't get you anywhere!

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
TBH the website doesn't really make me want to play the course although it looks pleasant enough with great views, I don't think the photographs display the course as well as they might.

On the course guide tab:

Hole 1 - the map/sketch doesn't match the description of it as a Par 3

Hole 2 - The same map/sketch as hole 1

Hole 7 - 4895 yards, blimey call the guiness book of records !!

Hole 8 - why is there an 8 th tee to the left of the 8th fairway ?

Hope this helps.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
TBH the website doesn't really make me want to play the course although it looks pleasant enough with great views, I don't think the photographs display the course as well as they might.

On the course guide tab:

Hope this helps.

It's not called The Lang Whang for nothing :)

Not a fan of the cartoons of the holes which look as if they were done by an 8 year old.

You probably should put the green fees on the Visitors page instead of / as well as the Home page.

You might want to include some info about the Clubhouse - does it do food etc - and a picture or two of it.

ship69

Hacker
Visit site

On the course guide tab:

Hope this helps.

Extremely useful - thanks
Hole 1 had incorrect diagram. Now corrected.
Hole 7 isnt quite that long! Corrected
Hole 8 is a mystery which I am bouncing back to the artist himself!

Thank you so much.

J

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Course guide - holes 4 & 5 have the same sketch. And like someone else commented, the sketches themselves don't look that great. I know Traigh is a pretty unique course but a more traditional "course planner" type of thing probably better.

Under "location" I'd put something about your actual location eg something like "X miles south of Mallaig" or whatever, as your opening line - before you get into the stuff about beaches.

Main comment is that Traigh is in one of the most stunningly beautiful locations in the UK - but your site doesnt really convey that. If you show more imagery to highlight that, you should have people beating a path to your door.

Ps: first two images in your Gallery are of the same green

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I like it! :D

I've played Traigh and think it's a fantastic course, the views more than live up to the descriptions and the fact that it hasn't moved too much with the times by lengthening holes is part of it's attraction.

I think that the website should reflect this raw type of golf and shouldn't be too fancy. For that reason I like the cartoon style hole layout, but they have to be improved to make them more accurate while retaining the cartoon style. The second hole for instance presents the golfer with a proper decision from the tee but the hole plan is no help whatsoever in making that decision.

A personal dislike of mine is a scorecard that needs to be opened in another window in order to read it, why not just make it a bit bigger on the page?

For a course that must rely on visitors to a fair degree, a few testimonials would help to attract the passing golfer.

(Pleased to see that the course has recovered after the sinkhole!)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I bet it's great for vintage and hickory golf too. :D

It would also be a good foursomes course, why not set up a foursomes competition as part of the calendar?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

I've played Traigh and think it's a fantastic course, the views more than live up to the descriptions and the fact that it hasn't moved too much with the times by lengthening holes is part of it's attraction.

I think that the website should reflect this raw type of golf and shouldn't be too fancy. For that reason I like the cartoon style hole layout, but they have to be improved to make them more accurate while retaining the cartoon style. The second hole for instance presents the golfer with a proper decision from the tee but the hole plan is no help whatsoever in making that decision.

A personal dislike of mine is a scorecard that needs to be opened in another window in order to read it, why not just make it a bit bigger on the page?

For a course that must rely on visitors to a fair degree, a few testimonials would help to attract the passing golfer.

As do I, and I'd agree pretty much with all of the constructive criticism in there, I'm just not as concerned about the scorecard in a separate window. It's different, as is the course. :thup:

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I really like the sketches. Different, edgy and quite refreshing. Some seniors might sniff but I think the website would appeal to a wide audience.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I like the site you have got some stunning views. The scorecard doesn’t worry me as I’m viewing on an iPad and I didn’t open another window, I just enlarged it easily with my fingers. The hole sketches are ok but a bit basic, on the other hand once on the course I wouldn’t be referring to the website anyway.
The website is easy to navigate and I like the menus being accessible at all times. Having local places to stay included is also very good idea for the tourist golfer and family.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Click on the score card and it opens in another window.

I think its a great site, and I liked the sketches of the holes.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like the site and it's style.
I absolutely adore the course and it's easily one of the most beautiful courses I've ever played, in fact it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to!
Good luck.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Having played Traigh on numerous occasions I know how fabulous and "rough" it is round the edges. However that is part of the charm. Its a great fun course.

My biggest criticism of your new website is you're still using the tired old fashioned photographs. The ones with gentleman wearing the red and yellow jumper with sun visor are a bit "naff" and outdated to be honest. You have fabulous views and sunsets, even the mountains at the "back" of the course are stunning.

I hope to get a game or two this summer as we plan a wee return to Arisaig.

ship69

Hacker
Visit site

We had complaints that for some users the image was too tall for the browser so we shrunk them somewhat. I have now tweaked the design again. The images are "responsive" and will resize to attempt to show you the whole image. So what you see will very much depend on the width of your browser window.
Any chance you could supply a screenshot?

Many thanks for your comments, everyone. Keep 'em coming!

ship69

Hacker
Visit site
My biggest criticism of your new website is you're still using the tired old fashioned photographs. The ones with gentleman wearing the red and yellow jumper with sun visor are a bit "naff" and outdated to be honest. You have fabulous views and sunsets, even the mountains at the "back" of the course are stunning.

PS How gratifying to have found some players who have actually played our wee course! Thank you all again for your comments.

Yes, we are all too aware that we do need to re-shoot most of our photos, probably without anyone playing it we think. Most of the photos were taken way back in 1999 and the grass is much improved since then, not least because until a couple of years ago the course had so share with sheep in the winter who inevitably did a fair bit of damage. We have now 'hoofed' the sheep off the course and things are on the up.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
PS How gratifying to have found some players who have actually played our wee course! Thank you all again for your comments.

Yes, we are all too aware that we do need to re-shoot most of our photos, probably without anyone playing it we think. Most of the photos were taken way back in 1999 and the grass is much improved since then, not least because until a couple of years ago the course had so share with sheep in the winter who inevitably did a fair bit of damage. We have now 'hoofed' the sheep off the course and things are on the up.

I was even allowed to play 9 holes prior to my wedding on Camusdarach beach!

Look forward to returning.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really like he hand drawn course maps. Those along with the fantastic wee blurb on each hole looks really good.

Very different approach to a GC website and honestly very refreshing.

Absolutely gives the indication of a warm and welcoming environment.

Really like it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
We had complaints that for some users the image was too tall for the browser so we shrunk them somewhat. I have now tweaked the design again. The images are "responsive" and will resize to attempt to show you the whole image. So what you see will very much depend on the width of your browser window.
Any chance you could supply a screenshot?

Many thanks for your comments, everyone. Keep 'em coming!

I like the tweak, even on my small screen the card can now be read without having to open it up.