When your struggling!!

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Why is it that when your struggling you never seem to get any luck.

Hit my worst score for years today, some of it down to rank bad golf but also some of the bounces I got had to be seen to be believed.

The ball seemed to be on a mission to make itself unplayable as often as possible.

And it wasn't just one ball, each of the five balls I used seemed to be in on the act.

It became soul destroying in the end.

Please confirm I am not alone in experiencing this.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Yeah, I had a round like that in a comp three weeks ago. I did hit the ball badly, especially at the beginning of the round, but I also got the worst breaks possible on every occasion. The ball ended up between tree roots, landed outside a water hazard but bounced back in, hit tree trunks and ricoched right back. It was really untrue. I scored one point in the first five holes. One. It was really the first time ever that I seriously considered walking off in the middle of the round. It did get a little bit better after that, but I blobbed four more holes on the back nine. In the end I wasn't even trying any more, to be honest. I just wanted it to be over.

And no matter how much I tell myself that a round like that is just a bad day at the office, it takes me a while to recover from a round like that and build some confidence again.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play off five and last four rounds shot 92/89/86/82 just abysmal golf .
But it’s going in the right direction.
Not played much over winter and had a ankle injury .
But my timing is all over the place.
My putting is good or it may have been worse.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had the same thing at start of this season. The winter we had meant hardly any golf and so first league game in April was first competitive round I had played all year. Played absolutely awful, found every bush/set of trees imaginable, shot 24 points and felt like giving up.

Finally the last few weeks have started to see some results and I’m shooting around handicap almost every week but still trying to find that low round for the first cut of the year...

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's simple, golf gods at work. My totality of experience has shown me that those playing well get the luck and the reverse is equally true. Should be the opposite, but sadly not.

See it on a daily basis

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to think it was bad luck when playing badly that I'd end up in bad lies, areas of the course with no shot to the flag or in bunker after bunker.

I've had this mindset for a long time and have seen my handicap rise and rise. Has taken me a while to realise that it isn't bad luck but a lack of acknowledgement of the limitations of my game.

I'm too good at pulling out a hybrid from 190, putting a good strike on it, then cursing as my ball goes into one of 5 bunkers which surround the green. A bad lie in there (another curse of my luck), two to get out and a blob for that hole. I then take that frustration to the next tee l, pull out my driver without even thinking about it and.... well I'm sure you know the rest of this common tale.

It's not all about the swing, speed, or £300 shaft. Low handicappers THINK their way around the course better than me. I've worked hard on this over the past couple of weeks- it's not easy. Yesterday I hit 5 iron, 5 iron, 9 iron to the middle of a par 5 green. Two putts, three points. Haven't parred that hole in a month.

So, instead of blaming bad luck, do consider whether, particularly after a bad shot, you are prone to THINKING like a tour pro.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when its not your day its not your day, simple as. had the same yesterday in the 2nd round of the club chmps. was sitting in the top 10 and only need a round of handicap or better to def be though.

Hit a nice 3 wood down the first, Pw to the green hit it nice, middle of the green, big bounce straight trough the back and almost in the burn, almost a 40 yard pitch to get back on the green. 2nd tee only needed iron today with the wind. topped it almost in the burn and in the divot i took playing the first. didn't get any better from there TBH;)

every one has a bad day from time to time

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site

Hit my worst score for years today, some of it down to rank bad golf but also some of the bounces I got had to be seen to be believed.

The ball seemed to be on a mission to make itself unplayable as often as possible.

And it wasn't just one ball, each of the five balls I used seemed to be in on the act.

Search for the 'Catastrophe Theory' for sport. That will provide most, if not all of your answers.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
So, instead of blaming bad luck, do consider whether, particularly after a bad shot, you are prone to THINKING like a tour pro.

Was it Sam Snead who said: The more I practice the luckier I get. I think it was. And I am sure there is some truth in that. But it is also true that there are days in golf when just nothing works in your favour. It happens to every golfer, on every level of playing. And I really believe that those rounds aren't salvagable. Beating yourself up over wrong decisions is not going to help yu much, either. Just file it under "one of those days" and move on.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

You're not, I managed the same on Saturday, first round of the club championships, consoled myself with the thought that I wouldn't get drowned like those that made the cut and it turned into a gorgeous day, just to rub it in. :rofl:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I play off five and last four rounds shot 92/89/86/82 just abysmal golf .
But it’s going in the right direction.
Not played much over winter and had a ankle injury .
But my timing is all over the place.
My putting is good or it may have been worse.

Love it - I'm off 8 and battling the sh**ks so last three rounds were 97,89,82. Prior to these three rounds I played two k/o matches and if I'd been counting my score would have been like the first. And these have been rounds with me driving and putting well!! The 97 was with...the other two without but really struggling to get the ball round. However I think I have an answer so working on that. But fully expect another two or three 0.1s before I manage to turn things around. But as you say - we are going in the right direction - but blimey it's painful and so I am with you 👌

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Back at home in the NW, we would joke that you could always tell which of the 2 people that had just hit their ball into the same tree was playing well and which one wasn't. It's as consistent as gravity!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Back at home in the NW, we would joke that you could always tell which of the 2 people that had just hit their ball into the same tree was playing well and which one wasn't. It's as consistent as gravity!

Which as all scientists know is not consistent across the globe :)