Aimpoint and Slowplay

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Does she have a point ?

It was discussed a number of times when Aimpoint became fashion for a while

The player who was the slowest seemed to be Cantlay - was he using Aimpoint ? I know the Amatuer was using it
Worse was Cantley lining up a line on his ball. Its pointless Patrick ! You just cannot align it to the hole with any useful precision !
Dont think he was aimpointing. Time to ban it too though as simply un-golf.

D

Deleted member 1147

Worse was Cantley lining up a line on his ball. Its pointless Patrick ! You just cannot align it to the hole with any useful precision !
Dont think he was aimpointing. Time to ban it too though as simply un-golf.
Prove it

robbeh32

Visit site
Any method that works is fine to use. Aimpoint doesnt have to be slow. He just fannys about getting caddie to double check everything and lining up the ball. Then he steps away and does it over and over.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've seen Jimmy Bullard using aimpoint on Tubes & Ange Golf Life and he doesn't take 5 minutes every time.

If it takes them longer to read the green with their feet than it does to read it with their eyes, then it makes you wonder why they'd bother using it?

IJames

Visit site
Does she have a point ?
Two of them! :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: While Aimpoint techniques CAN be slow, most players seem to have streamlined their use of it from the early days. And if it saves 1 putt every few holes, that actually saves time! I was impressed at the quality of putting at Augusta - it was mainly pace that caused misses, not line reads.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

evemccc

Visit site
Not being ready to play when it’s your turn, taking 3/4 practice swings, then standing behind the ball to ‘commit’ / envisage to the shot (just like the pros do), then standing like a rock for 15 seconds before pulling the trigger, are the biggest reasons in the people I’ve played with IMO

On the greens it’s the lining up a line on the ball then hovering a putter midair to that line, IMO

Don’t really see Aimpoint or people using the feet much at my club

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

Does she have a point ?

It was discussed a number of times when Aimpoint became fashion for a while

The player who was the slowest seemed to be Cantlay - was he using Aimpoint ? I know the Amatuer was using it
Brooks koepka slammed them in his Masters post match press interview!

You should take more time over you put but I’ll say two things

1) it shouldn’t take more than ideally 40 seconds or a minute absolute max on occasion to survey the line. Most of this can be done between other putts too if not furthest away.

2) if you want to take more than 40 seconds a putt, you should be definitely making sure your quicker somewhere else.

sunshine

Visit site
Two of the slowest players on a green, Tiger and DJ. Both glacial, both standard readers of a putt.

It's not the method per se, it's the person using it.

Where did you get the view that Tiger and DJ are slow? Never noticed this, either live or on tv. Tiger used to be pretty quick actually I thought.

I agree with your second point though!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where did you get the view that Tiger and DJ are slow? Never noticed this, either live or on tv. Tiger used to be pretty quick actually I thought.

I agree with your second point though!
Just watching them. They both take an age walking around the green, looking from every angle. Have a look next time up. On anything other than a short one they are both very slow.

D

Deleted member 25172

Tried to find some footage of Bennett's pre-shot "routine" at The Masters. He's got a good chance of turning into Sergio Garcia at his worst when he didn't seem able to pull the trigger without having to tap the club a gaziljon times with his thumb or whatever it was. Bennett kept tapping his feet on the ground, get his head up to look at the hole, head down, tap his feet on the ground, head up, head down, tapping his feet, head up, head down... Annoying to say the least.