Aimpoint and Slowplay

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not being ready to play when it’s your turn, taking 3/4 practice swings, then standing behind the ball to ‘commit’ / envisage to the shot (just like the pros do), then standing like a rock for 15 seconds before pulling the trigger, are the biggest reasons in the people I’ve played with IMO

On the greens it’s the lining up a line on the ball then hovering a putter midair to that line, IMO

Don’t really see Aimpoint or people using the feet much at my club
At the risk of going off topic, I do that, not to visualise the shot or whatever its called (wouldn't know how to do that), I'm just looking for something on the ground near the ball on my target line to aim over

evemccc

Visit site
At the risk of going off topic, I do that, not to visualise the shot or whatever its called (wouldn't know how to do that), I'm just looking for something on the ground near the ball on my target line to aim over

I suppose I think any of these on their own are not the problem - heck, we all have our ‘foibles’ with our swing tendencies and how we play our golf - but it’s the combination of all of the above taken together and when it’s all done too deliberately can border on being slow

D

Deleted member 18121

I use aimpoint and take no longer than others I play with that don't use it. Plus it's easy to do the routine whilst others are going first or indeed still sorting out their bags.

I think we've all played with slow conventional players.... Unfortunately add in an extra something and it makes them even slower.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t think it’s aimpoint that’s the problem. I’ve watched a few demos of it and it seems to take no longer than traditional methods. The problem in the pro game comes from the pro going through the aimpoint process, then their caddy doing the same (or traditional), lying flat on the green to get a worm’s eye view of it, then spending another few seconds debating it until eventually ‘yeh, I like that’. So frustrating. Stop caddies reading greens and you’ll halve the putting time.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The issue isn't with the method. The problem is the player.
Slow golfers will be slow whatever they do, quick players quick whatever they do.
But if you are doing fewer things, then of course you will be faster.
I might be possible to be quick with aimpoint. But the problem is that not everyone is.
Very very few waste their time with it in the amateur world fortunately.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do think that getting rid of any alignment aids on the ball would save more time than anything else you could do. That leaves the issue of identifying a ball though as someone would quickly use a mark they could align with
Agree. But you dont have to throw out ball markings with alignment aids.
One replace of the ball after marking, would be a great rule.
As would no deliberate aligning of a mark ( like the discussion of string anchoring a tee cant be aligned withthe intended target).
And stop caddies reading greens, but then, thats only for TV, and doesnt affect most golfers. The pace of play of pros when watching as a spectator doesnt bother me. They are at work. The knock on effect on amateurs is the downside from that. Especially when its a pointless routine anyway.
- look at your putt. And hit it.

D

Deleted member 1147

But if you are doing fewer things, then of course you will be faster.
I might be possible to be quick with aimpoint. But the problem is that not everyone is.
Very very few waste their time with it in the amateur world fortunately.

Because they are slow 🥱

Teebs

Visit site
I use a sharpie line on the ball for alignment as I'm left eye dominant but RH player (I can't line up and trust my eyes without an alignment aid)

Does it take me a little longer than someone else to line up? Probably.
I'm pretty quick elsewhere on the course, even using a GPS and a laser for the distances.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it is unreasonable to expect aimpoint critics to know how to do it, to take their criticisms seriously. I would certainly accept that it can be done quickly, but the lack of any independent or objective scientific basis for it adding to one's green reading capability, is enough to question whether it brings anything more than just eyeing a line for 5 seconds. Who we can guess do know how it works, or claims to work, are any professional tour players. That all but a tiny minority dont use its suggest there is indeed nothing in it. So in that sense, any time at all spent on it, is time needlessly wasted. But would class it no worse nonetheless than aligning lines on balls, or dummy putts half way to the hole. Just needless affectations. The more there are of these gimmicks, the more time on the course is spent wasting time watching people waste their time.

I watched a video yesterday featuring a DP World Tour Pro (Clements) and he said around 50% of DP tour Pros now use aim point.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tour pros will use a lucky coin as a marker, and are sheep rather than analysts, in the main.

Would be surprised if the caddy is correct, though maybe its just that they dont show it on TV.

Bottom line is, has anyone shown categorically that it is better than a traditional look ? I think the world would be using it - like they use 460cc drivers, or a flat blade to putt - if it were more than a wishful thinking fad. I am not saying it doesnt put you in the ball park of the line. Just no better.

The Fader

Visit site
"Some of the things I do on the golf course make me a slow player"

Said no player ever!!

And I include you - aimpointers, visualisers, pre-shot routiners, strollers, chatterboxers, non ready golfers et al.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pressure being exerted on this golf plague, and about time. Really needs to be brought into mainstream discussion. Rulesies - can a local rule forbid it ?

Next revision to the Rules should hopefully ban it outright, by both player and caddy. And no 6 year grace period, or 'elite' level or such postponements or fudgings. Straight ban.