When will it end? - 38 degree PW.....

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My G700s with the power spec have a 7-iron loft of 28 degree and the 4-iron is 18.5. It has taken a while to get used to the distances compared to my old irons which had much weaker lofts.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
What does it matter ? Pull out a club that goes 150, if it's a 3 iron or a wedge it doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is whatever club you pull out it goes the distance you want/need it to go.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What does it matter ? Pull out a club that goes 150, if it's a 3 iron or a wedge it doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is whatever club you pull out it goes the distance you want/need it to go.
It matters in terms of what we'll be able to buy as a set of irons though. As I said earlier, if this trend continues iron sets will start at 6 or 7 and we'll have to supplement them with six wedges instead of three or four.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It matters in terms of what we'll be able to buy as a set of irons though. As I said earlier, if this trend continues iron sets will start at 6 or 7 and we'll have to supplement them with six wedges instead of three or four.

Not if we use these lofts................

Untitledsdg.jpg

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't think lofts are going to continue to fall the way some are speculating..
There will always be sets like the Bridgestone but there will always be sets with lofts in the more(modern) traditional range - PW of 46ish° and sets in-between the 2.
The better you are, the less need for clubs which launch super easily.
I wonder how many RogueX sets are being sold against standard Rogue, for example.
RogueX 7 iron is 27°, standard Rogue is 30°
In all honesty, the super-jacked sets have a pretty limited market.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Actually, what they should do is just start counting at 3 instead of saying the 3 iron and 4 iron are not available. That would give them a 3 iron whichis actually playable at 22 ° of loft, a half way classic 7 iron at 33 ° and a pw at 50 °. All good.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

But almost every time I read a post on here about a fitting for a new set of clubs, the first comment is about how many yards the patient has gained over their current set.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The simplest way to see how 'stupid' PW lofts have become is to look at the SW in a set.

Despite all the loft changes over the years the SW in a set has remained pretty constant at 56 degrees.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Those lofts are not vintage.

Vintage PW would be around 52

You're right of course but as the post said, the lofts were typical MacGregor for the 1970s, below are typical Dunlop from the same time.

1538063121984-png.25596

1538129527754.png

Vintage doesn't have a defined date anyway, see below for across the ages, it's in the last 15 years that things have gone ridiculous.

1538129622786.png

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
As a user of traditionally lofted irons, I am usually a guy who doesn't care about the number on the bottom of the club as long as it goes the right yardage.

It did push my buttons though when a PP of mine said I should 'upgrade' my irons to get more distance out of them. He uses slightly stronger lofts, perhaps a club, though wonders why I'm often taking one more club into greens. He fully believed that the reason he was a club longer was because of the speed foam in his clubs.

I find it half funny, half annoying when people blindly accept all the guff from manufacturers about the technology but the manufacturers know this game and how easy it is to play on a golfers ego.

I'd like to think I was immune, but the fact I went on the defensive at a comment regarding distance proves I'm perhaps susceptible.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Lofts and numbers are irrelevant if you get custom fitted. Its all about gapping and the club fitter will ensure that this is done properly.

Its really a "nothing" story.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Know what you mean sheriff, I now actually enjoy the strange looks I get saying I'm hitting two more than my PPs.

("Speed foam", you have to laugh.)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I prefer to call it a farce, but each to their own.

Its not really its called advancement in technology. I've already explained in simple terms why its happening, if you want to stay in the dark ages feel free but its what it is. Club fitters will correctly fit you embracing the technology which allows better trajectory, spin and numbers. Its the way forward my friend.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Its not really its called advancement in technology. I've already explained in simple terms why its happening, if you want to stay in the dark ages feel free but its what it is. Club fitters will correctly fit you embracing the technology which allows better trajectory, spin and numbers. Its the way forward my friend.

No offence but I'd have thought that you of all people wouldn't be taken in by marketing BS.
It's not advancement in technology. it's just applying known technology to kid people into thinking the latest clubs are the greatest.

It's long been known that lower CoG gives a higher ball flight, the jigger was an early club designed to use this "technology".
It's long been known that sharper grooves increase spin, laser etching might give the sharpest grooves but they'll wear, micro grooves might benefit on a completely clean dry ball but not with a little bit of grass between the ball and face.
It's long been known that a longer shaft gives a faster clubhead speed and hence ball speed.
Less but larger grooves gave the most spin but these were banned many years ago.

I made the switch to the dark (ages) path by choice and find golf much more fun and rewarding.

D

Deleted member 21258

What surprised me when I returned back to the game(only from early 2000s to now), was how set of irons used to be almost be complete set gapping wise. Well tbh you needed to buy just one wedge an AW or GW to make gapping good for my irons. I just do not need more distance from a 7 iron on 6-6.500 yard courses, I only hit it 150 yards, what I need is good gapping from the bottom to top with ideally one set of irons for a decent price.

Now you have to buy a set of irons and then 3 wedges separately, as the gapping of new irons are so poor at the bottom end, which in my opinion is the more important end.:confused:

One guy I play with he use to take one club more than me, then bought a modern set and now takes the same or one less than me iirc.:censored: Cant argue about the height they went, they still flew similar height to my iron number(it was a shame he is a lefty, as fancied a hit of them to see the distance change).

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
What surprised me when I returned back to the game(only from early 2000s to now), was how set of irons used to be almost be complete set gapping wise. Well tbh you needed to buy just one wedge an AW or GW to make gapping good for my irons. I just do not need more distance from a 7 iron on 6-6.500 yard courses, I only hit it 150 yards, what I need is good gapping from the bottom to top with ideally one set of irons for a decent price.

Now you have to buy a set of irons and then 3 wedges separately, as the gapping of new irons are so poor at the bottom end, which in my opinion is the more important end.:confused:

One guy I play with he use to take one club more than me, then bought a modern set and now takes the same or one less than me iirc.:censored: Cant argue about the height they went, they still flew similar height to my iron number(it was a shame he is a lefty, as fancied a hit of them to see the distance change).

Lofts have also changed to accommodate the hybrid/driving iron technology. These are easier to hit and go further than traditional irons. As I say its all down to gapping, get the fitting correct and you wont ever have a problem. Every manufacturer is pushing fitting, its the way of the (golfing) world.