When should you use a new ball?

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a high handicap golfer I usually start with a new ball (Callaway chrome soft) and then when I lose it take an old one for the rest of the round. These are generally ones that I have found so vary in make.

Recently completed 18 holes with the same ball (quite an achievement for me). so should I continue to use this one? or should I start my next round with a new ball?

As I improve I am hoping that the lost balls will be less obviously (first lesson was a couple of weeks ago and I am already hitting straighter although distance is all over the place)

Last edited:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I usually play mine until they end up in the water or I lose them somewhere in the rough. The only time I really grab a brand new ball is when I play a comp. Then I normally hit that into the pond on our par5 first and revert back to one of the old ones out of the depth of my bag.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you use a black faced driver I'd suggest always using a newish ball. A scuffed ball with any grit/dirt/sand imbedded ruins the covering on a black faced driver

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
At the start of any comp round or round with money on it, also on a short par 3 (you don't want to have to mount some scabby ball after you get your HIO!)

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I normally change every few rounds. Just depends sometimes the ball is marked badly after two rounds sometimes it's going strong after 4/5 rounds..

If I lose a new ball at start of round I play with a old Prem ball rest of round.. But if I am with a chance of winning a comp and lost my ball on 13/14 then I pull out a brand new one to take me home

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tend to play several rounds with a ball before retiring it to the practice bag when it starts to look too scabby but if it's a big comp I'll put a new ball in play for the occasion.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Can’t believe the amount of people who spend a small fortune on clubs bag shoes trolley apparel, you name it and yet they play a crap scuffed ball. I'll use two per round at least and if it scuffs up with a hard wedge shot it will get changed.
Would you go on trackman, try a new driver/shaft combination with older balls.....NO.....to then go out the course and blow all that extra distance away by using a crap ball.
Don’t scrimp on balls.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
I pull a new ball out and use it till i lose it. Once its gone ill finish the round with a ball that i have found around the coarse and then pull another new one the next time i start a new round. I average around 3 rounds before losing a ball so its not so bad.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I'll use a brand new ball for a comp and if I lose one I'll pull another new one out and so on if they're scuffed up bad I'll change it and then they go in the practice bag .mid week practice I'll use some of my scuffed up premium balls I don't use surlyn anymore only in winter when spin is not so important and the greens are softer .

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
On every hole, 18 new balls per round, after every 3 shots (birdies, eagles an pars accounted for) a new ball would maximise spin and grip, no point in using the same ball twice in the same round, scuffing on the ball reduces its effectiveness and it could get misshapen after being pummelled 270+ yards with the 3 metal.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It depends, if it is a knock about with the boys owt will do, through the winter I used new distance balls which I played very well with, and drove the ball excellent. However, I was looking at using a ball with a bit more spin Ad333 up to a Z star or TM tour preferred. But my drive has gone to tit since I changed the shaft.
Nine hole comp tomorrow, I will start off with a new ball but God knows which. At the moment am not hitting it as straight as I would like so a ball with a bit more spin could proper screw up my round.
new ball start of every round for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to get a new one out for a comp. Doesn't usually make it home with me so then I'll dive in the back and pull out the poor unfortunate sphere that didn't manage to retreat into the deepest, darkest, recesses of the pocket

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I can't understand the logic. If you start with a new ball and you loose it you'll then pull out whatever is in your bag. You loose a ball then give up mentally by budgeting for only one decent ball per comp. You would be just as well start with a used ball then go onto a new one if you play good. Same thing eh. Why scrimp on the ball you use especially in comps. Different mind set required I think. Just my opinion.

sam19113

Club Champion
Visit site
I tend to use a new one for a comp. If I lose that one then I try and pull out the ball in best condition to carry on with. Non-comp, anything will do really.