When others in your group don't want to let a faster group through

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
What do people here do when there is a faster group behind, you say "we should let them play through", and one (or more) of the other players in your group disagree?
Two common responses are:
- "It will spoil my rhythm if we stop and wait"
- "F*** 'em, they can wait"

Another common thing that happens is that after waiting to let them through, someone duffs their next shot, complains it's because they lost their groove, and pretty much blames me.

I'm a pretty non-confrontational type of guy, so I find it difficult to point out how selfish they are being.

What would you do?

D

Deleted member 21258

Don't have the answer sadly.

I am the one normally who would just automatically call people through or 'tell' people I am calling them through as I do it, and wouldn't even imagined that anyone would get upset by doing that. DOH, learn something new everyday.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was in this situation a few months ago. Horribly uncomfortable. I ended up posing the question a number of times and in the end one of our group, one of the ignorant ones, put a ball in the rough. "Ah, that seems a good time to let this group through then, whilst we help you look for your ball", I stated firmly. Prior to this moment I had apologised profusely to the people we were holding up and explained why. Thankfully they gave me a knowing look and understood the predicament.

In answer to your question then, if someone really doesn't want to let them through you are a bit stuffed. It is awkward, embarrassing and I would not play with those people again. Apologise to the people behind, explain you are playing with a git and you will do your best. Encourage them to complain when you get in afterwards. Other than that I will be following this thread for the same advice you are looking for.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you learn to avoid people like this.
Unfortunately they then seem to play together and you have a fourball who won’t let anybody through.
This like slow play has been brushed under the carpet by clubs .
There have been complaints at my place but no action , but it’s is a very difficult thing to police .

I just say it’s putting me off and as soon as we have a search I just call them through.
I have had arguments with pps for doing this as they don’t like calling through.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same way I'd deal with a child that doesn't accept they cant always have what they want

Or

Just wave the group through at a suitable point then tell your PP's to get out the way as you've called the group through :ROFLMAO:
THIS ^^^^
Your PP's may not like it but it's a weight off your mind!! so Stuff-em, ingnorant Twa$ts

D

Deleted member 21258

Same way I'd deal with a child that doesn't accept they cant always have what they want

Or

Just wave the group through at a suitable point then tell your PP's to get out the way as you've called the group through :ROFLMAO:

What you smack them :eek:

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
I seem to have the opposite problem with some of the guys I play with; stood on the tee with the group behind playing their approach shots to the green we've just left and they'll say "shall we let them play through?", really winds me up.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a guy who plays with us who hates letting people thru. He think he’s pretty quick so if they’re going faster than us they can’t be enjoying themselves.

He’s deadly serious, tickles me every time 😆

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Call them through and stand to one side, then tell you have already done it.

Tell them you need a pee and to call the group behind through whilst you disappear in to the bushes.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If theres doubt on the pace i'd ask the other(s) in the group, because sometimes its not entirely clear. Otherwise as per what jim says i'll just call them through if its obviously right.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Funny how everyone would let them through,obviously someone’s not.

Seriously though let them through,hate the feeling I’m being pushed.
Need about a minute for my PSR

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i have had the same issue as the OP, my stock answer to those that dont want to let them through is ,PUT YOURSELF IN THERE POSITION ,WOULD YOU WANT TO BE LET THROUGH OR HELD UP BY A BUNCH OF A HOLES usually works when they realise they are being bloody obnoxious.