When do you think you will next play golf?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The population of Denmark is roughly the same as Scotland, they have more cases of the virus than us.
The UK on the whole is about 11 times the population of Denmark withe cases about the same pro rata.
At least articles like the one you posted the link to are better than the doom and gloom norm
We just have to hope things will get better sooner than later, stay safe.
Obviously there are many angles. When I looked yesterday relative to population the UK death count was about double of Denmark

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Folks, it is not worth trying to establish the 'death rate' based on the no. of cases vs no. of deaths.

There is far too much variance in testing with some countries only testing those who present with symptoms and others testing far more widely. There are also a huge number of people who have the virus and have very mild or basically no symptoms and the vast vast majority of these people will not get tested at all. In reality the number of deaths is the most reliable piece of information in order to assess the impact of a virus in a certain country or region.

On the wider subject, I don't feel that blanket testing is necessarily going to do anything. The NHS's job is not to test and assess the spread of an illness, it is to care for the sick and they should 100% prioritise that. If the Government, WHO or academics want wider testing to study and work out how to possibly stop further viruses, then they should fund and manage these.

FWIW, I've seen a bit of content on the death rate and it seems like 1% death rate is probably not a bad guess. Perhaps rising to 4% or 6% if healthcare becomes overwhelmed.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've got a spreadsheet on my laptop with all my golf trips on. There are lots of crossings-out already! :-( More to follow.

July sees a trip to Sherwood Forest mid month and last week of the month is Bideford Bay Open at Saunton and RND. Accommodation all booked and paid for, early enough to be insured (I hope)

I have a slight hope that I'm doing to Devon for that!

End Sept and Oct is the Scotland trip. Surely that will happen??? Actually, who knows? Fingers crossed

D

Deleted member 17920

End Sept and Oct is the Scotland trip. Surely that will happen??? Actually, who knows? Fingers crossed
Same, fingers crossed we are back to some normality by then.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I don't think that anybody my age and with health issues can be hyper-confident of ever playing golf again.
I've got a bagful of new clubs that haven't been outdoors yet.
Maybe I should throw it over my shoulder while I'm walking Molly.

That will give the nosey neighbors something else to talk about--from six feet apart, of course.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
In my opinion Easter is the Line in the Sand. If the British public do as been asked and stay at home over the bank holiday weekend and stay away from coast and national parks, government will look to relax something’s slowly. Golf, a few shops, garden centres. But if the British public just do what they want then government will say ok we gave you the big boy pants and you shat in them so back to nappies and we will have at least another month of lock down. Even so Pubs, cinemas restaurants will remain *** till Oct in my opinion as these are mass gatherings of people sat in close proximity for a length of time which until we have almost wiped it out would be reckless and start the whole cycle all over again but in the dark cold winter months ..

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In my opinion Easter is the Line in the Sand. If the British public do as been asked and stay at home over the bank holiday weekend and stay away from coast and national parks, government will look to relax something’s slowly. Golf, a few shops, garden centres. But if the British public just do what they want then government will say ok we gave you the big boy pants and you shat in them so back to nappies and we will have at least another month of lock down. Even so Pubs, cinemas restaurants will remain *** till Oct in my opinion as these are mass gatherings of people sat in close proximity for a length of time which until we have almost wiped it out would be reckless and start the whole cycle all over again but in the dark cold winter months ..
I cannot see the lockdown being eased until May, and maybe the end of May, at the earliest.

jmcp

Visit site
I dont think the infection rate or the death rate will be the primary measurement that the govt will use to release/reduce the lockdown, in my opinion it will be determined on how much they have scaled up the support infrastructure to deal with people who fall ill with it, once they have scaled it up, they will be looking for people to start mixing again and possible spread the virus to hopefully create this ”Herd” environment that they originally mentioned.

The stats on death rates in various countries are the guaranteed minimum, they are not the actual number of fatalities from covid-19, the french govt mentioned earlier in the week that they suspect their death rate is many times the recorded death rate as they are only counting those that die in hospital and those that die outside of hospital are not receiving a post mortem but are getting sent straight to the crematorium, this may also be the case in many other countries.

I just bought a new set of irons, arrived yesterday, still got the wrapping on them, desperately hoping we will get back on the course by June.

cheers, John

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I dont think the infection rate or the death rate will be the primary measurement that the govt will use to release/reduce the lockdown, in my opinion it will be determined on how much they have scaled up the support infrastructure to deal with people who fall ill with it, once they have scaled it up, they will be looking for people to start mixing again and possible spread the virus to hopefully create this ”Herd” environment that they originally mentioned.

The stats on death rates in various countries are the guaranteed minimum, they are not the actual number of fatalities from covid-19, the french govt mentioned earlier in the week that they suspect their death rate is many times the recorded death rate as they are only counting those that die in hospital and those that die outside of hospital are not receiving a post mortem but are getting sent straight to the crematorium, this may also be the case in many other countries.

I just bought a new set of irons, arrived yesterday, still got the wrapping on them, desperately hoping we will get back on the course by June.

cheers, John
I think the infrastructure is a major point and challenge for them and I think you are largely right when it comes to the governments strategy. As long as they can meet the hospital demand they will not see it as necessary to have people locked away and will look to ease restrictions barring pubs,cinemas, cafes, restaurants etc. The herd immunity is something that will happen naturally and of course to some degree a percentage of the population will have had the virus, shown little to no symptoms and now built up an immunity to it. The government will look to ease restrictions on people and the economy at the earliest opportunity they think the NHS cannot be overwhelmed.

Ratter

Visit site
I am a newbie so please accept my apologies if i am covering old ground . Two things occurred to me about the course closures. One being my thought that golf could have safely carried on , if you set out rules such as members only no green fee payers /societies so no need for pro shop /bar etc , 2 balls only ,employ safe separation,no flags ,no rakes etc i think it could have been done. Dont get me wrong my views are entirely selfish and driven by the need of a fix of golf and there are bigger issues to resolve in the world than when can i play golf next , but logistically if not morally it could be done .

My second point is wondering how much maintainence the courses are getting with people been laid off and how long after the green light will they be ready to play on.

badgergm

Visit site
Folks, it is not worth trying to establish the 'death rate' based on the no. of cases vs no. of deaths.

There is far too much variance in testing with some countries only testing those who present with symptoms and others testing far more widely. There are also a huge number of people who have the virus and have very mild or basically no symptoms and the vast vast majority of these people will not get tested at all. In reality the number of deaths is the most reliable piece of information in order to assess the impact of a virus in a certain country or region.

On the wider subject, I don't feel that blanket testing is necessarily going to do anything. The NHS's job is not to test and assess the spread of an illness, it is to care for the sick and they should 100% prioritise that. If the Government, WHO or academics want wider testing to study and work out how to possibly stop further viruses, then they should fund and manage these.

FWIW, I've seen a bit of content on the death rate and it seems like 1% death rate is probably not a bad guess. Perhaps rising to 4% or 6% if healthcare becomes overwhelmed.

You're right about the deaths relative to testing. But I think people were referring to deaths/1M population. i.e. the last line on the worldometers site. UK now up to 53 (and rising between 6-10 per day at the moment) and Denmark is 24. As you and others have pointed out though, even those figures are suspect, as no f deaths is highly dependent on how you count. Over counting in the sense that anyone who dies in hospital when positive is counted (even though may not be cause of death), and under counting in the sense that deaths due to the virus ouitside may not be counted because not tested for it.

In summary, take all absolute figures and comparisons between counties with a pinch of salt, but so long as the methodology being used by a country doesn't change, then you can see the trends for that country.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I agree that both this weekend and the Eater weekend are going to be big markers as to whether the British public are taking lockdown and social distancing seriously or if it's an inconvenience that can be flouted once we get warm weather.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
With Denmark reopening courses and now some places in the US following suit after they originally closed their doors, I'm starting to think that we may be doing the same here in a few weeks.

For all those saying 'but then people will want to play football, go to the gym, etc.' The differences between contact and non-contact sport are really easy to see. As golfers, we don't have to get near each other during a round. That isn't possible with football, and the shared spaces and equipment in a gym make that an obvious no-no.

Plus, currently jogging and cycling are allowed - I don't see anyone playing football as some sort of protest against these.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
With Denmark reopening courses and now some places in the US following suit after they originally closed their doors, I'm starting to think that we may be doing the same here in a few weeks.

For all those saying 'but then people will want to play football, go to the gym, etc.' The differences between contact and non-contact sport are really easy to see. As golfers, we don't have to get near each other during a round. That isn't possible with football, and the shared spaces and equipment in a gym make that an obvious no-no.

Plus, currently jogging and cycling are allowed - I don't see anyone playing football as some sort of protest against these.

Take your blinkers off!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Despite it being highly unlikely anyways, our day at Bearwood on the 20th April was officially cancelled this week. Seems I am destined not play there :(:cry:. This is the third year running the society has booked there, first time (2 years ago) it was cancelled after we arrived for brekkie due to rain making the course unplayable. Last year couldn’t make the date, this year bloody covid. Was hoping for third time lucky, feeling the pain :cry:

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like today they are saying end of may seems like the aspirational goal for trying to ramp things down if people have complied with the lockdown till then.

Im not sure why anyone thinks it will be eased straight after easter weekend - thats when the UK will be in the peak of this if predictions are right.

Im hoping we can get back out in june or july.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Just had some plum walking past trying to tell me I wasnt allowed to hit golf balls in a field which my family own. I politely told him to do one and also think about my family having to open the gates he'd obviously been touching by coming through our lane. Tosser

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Certainly looking like the end of May into June.

Six months membership down the drain and hardly hit a ball in anger.

Last edited: