When do you think you will next play golf?

User20204

Visit site
i think after these 3 weeks we'll get another week or two of the same or stricter measures then a lift but with restrictions like those before the lockdown

I think there will be no golf before June, I think there will be no pubs/clubs/bookies/sport etc etc open before June, so I don't see much changing tbh.

As for the lockdown itself, as much as we think we are locked down, it's still fairly relaxed. I've seen more people out walking/excising than I have ever before. Yes streets are quieter but most seem to be getting on with life. Personally haven't earned a penny since the official lockdown but my good tory government will see me ok..................

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think there will be no golf before June, I think there will be no pubs/clubs/bookies/sport etc etc open before June, so I don't see much changing tbh.

As for the lockdown itself, as much as we think we are locked down, it's still fairly relaxed. I've seen more people out walking/excising than I have ever before. Yes streets are quieter but most seem to be getting on with life. Personally haven't earned a penny since the official lockdown but my good tory government will see me ok..................

one thing to remember is how the disease is transmitted. walking past someone within a few inches is not the same as social gatherings and social interaction. they say this is a virus that is spread through association rather than a brief encounter. with that in mind (if it's true) how Much benefit would we see if things got even tighter? once again. my opinion not fact

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My thoughts, an they are just my thoughts, is that we may get a tightening up at the end of this week simply to allow control over the easter weekend when the nutters will be out in force at parks and beauty spots, around relatives' houses for easter sunday etc. I can then see a relaxation back to where we are now for a week or 2 after easter and after that it will depend on the figures.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Apart from the traveling for exercise recommendation, there's nothing about a 2 ball playing golf and practicing good social distancing that contravenes existing guidelines.
So in theory, any relaxation of guidelines might see some form of the game being allowed.
In practice, I'm not sure that this logic will apply.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
Quite simply I'm not expecting to play golf before the autumn at the earliest. I'm not saying we'll be on strict lockdown until then but we won't go from lockdown back to normality over night. It'll be a phased approach. If what the government was saying is true and it's going to be 6 months of lockdown / strict rules on social distancing that takes us to September and then I imagine it'll be another month or more before pubs, bars golf courses are allowed to open again. I can be quite pessimistic at times but I also think a lot of people don't realise how serious this is. One bloke today was speaking to the misses saying "we'll be back to normal in a couple of weeks". No mate, I'm afraid we won't.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Apart from the traveling for exercise recommendation, there's nothing about a 2 ball playing golf and practicing good social distancing that contravenes existing guidelines.
So in theory, any relaxation of guidelines might see some form of the game being allowed.
In practice, I'm not sure that this logic will apply.
To be honest were we to be still playing I am not sure that that would send the right message to non-golfers. We can't look at this from just our own golfing perspective - we must look at it from the outside. Us playing might only reinforce perceptions and prejudices that many have about golf and golfers. Bottom line is that any golf course is somewhere that people can gather for a social purpose, and therefore they must be out of bounds.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be honest were we to be still playing I am not sure that that would send the right message to non-golfers. It might only reinforce perceptions and prejudices that many have about golf and golfers. Bottom line is that any golf course is somewhere that people can gather for a social purpose, and therefore they must be out of bounds.
Yeah, I was thinking they kind of have to tar all sports and activities with the same brush. If you allow golf courses to reopen, then tennis players will be arguing they should be allowed to play again, as would footballers, etc. Before you know everyone's doing exactly as they were before.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah, I was thinking they kind of have to tar all sports and activities with the same brush. If you allow golf courses to reopen, then tennis players will be arguing they should be allowed to play again, as would footballers, etc. Before you know everyone's doing exactly as they were before.
Fair enough.
I would imagine the difference between contact/non contact sport is obvious enough to pass without judgement.
Outdoor/indoor too. Requirement to use communal changing rooms.
I'm only thinking out loud, so no zapping/moralising!
After all, cycling, walking, golf - what's actually the difference from the point of view of viruses transmission?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair enough.
I would imagine the difference between contact/non contact sport is obvious enough to pass without judgement.
After all, cycling, walking, golf - what's actually the difference from the point of view of viruses transmission?

I guess most of the non contact sports could be played whilst still observing social distancing. The problem is, can you trust people to apply the regulations and in a number of cases I say not. There are a number of instances whereby a broad brush stroke has had to be used(eg applying the same rules to tightly packed inner city areas to small rural communities) but the more exceptions you make, the more people will think that there is room for leeway. For example, if golf were allowed you may be able to trust some established golfers but if you could head out and play for a few hours, how long before non golfers picked up a set of cheap clubs and headed in their droves to the local municipal as it would be a way of getting out in the fresh air for a time. Especially think of that in the context of courses near an urban environment. Sadly you have to be strict on everyone to have any chance of success.

IanMcC

Visit site
Answering the original question, my guess would be mid Autumn.
I don't think it will be at my home course at the moment, however. Most of our fees are due April 1st, and I know a lot of selfish b******s who are not renewing. Cant see past the end of their nose!
With no bar or green fee takings, and subscriptions decimated by these people, I fear we will close.
Ironically, we had just turned it around last season, with an increase in comp prices and bar prices. All for nothing now I fear.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think it will be at my home course at the moment, however. Most of our fees are due April 1st, and I know a lot of selfish b******s who are not renewing. Cant see past the end of their nose!
With no bar or green fee takings, and subscriptions decimated by these people, I fear we will close.
Ironically, we had just turned it around last season, with an increase in comp prices and bar prices. All for nothing now I fear.
in all fairness. calling someone selfish for looking after their own camp is a little selfish in itself. if i was one of those unlucky people that's been benched I probably wouldn't pay my fee's either.

User20204

Visit site
I think it's naive to think folk will just stump up their fees if they are due. Ours were due come mid Feb so that's just tough but I very much doubt I would be paying mine if they were due now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but remember this is the British public we're dealing with. Joe Bloggs who likes his footy will be pointing fingers at golf courses shouting "how come they can play but I can't go down 5-a-side!" etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not fair at all to call them selfish b******s unless you intimately know their home & life situation.

Edit: If anything you could be perceived as the selfish one, expecting people to throw in money they potentially can't afford just so you can keep playing golf.

User20204

Visit site
I'm sure many of you have red the article that was in the Guardian the other day about the Italian who wrote a letter to the UK, in it was many great points but for me the most poignant was the line. " You will count all the things you do not need. " That for me was a reality check on life.

I've looked around my house with all the boys toys I have etc and in the grand scheme of things, they don't mean much, you quickly learn how we can live without them.

IanMcC

Visit site
in all fairness. calling someone selfish for looking after their own camp is a little selfish in itself. if i was one of those unlucky people that's been benched I probably wouldn't pay my fee's either.
So the great British tradition of togetherness in a crisis stops at the gate of the golf course, where apparently it becomes 'every man for himself'. Its called a golf 'club'. Clubs should stick together. Anyone not renewing membership should be ashamed. And don't preach the money thing to me. Anyone affording membership before the crisis can afford it on 80% wages. Tough decision only if you are self employed, but I would suggest every self employed person has an emergency fund. It would appear my feelings are in the minority, but if someone assists in their golf closure by not renewing then they cannot complain when the inevitable happens.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
So the great British tradition of togetherness in a crisis stops at the gate of the golf course, where apparently it becomes 'every man for himself'. Its called a golf 'club'. Clubs should stick together. Anyone not renewing membership should be ashamed. And don't preach the money thing to me. Anyone affording membership before the crisis can afford it on 80% wages. Tough decision only if you are self employed, but I would suggest every self employed person has an emergency fund. It would appear my feelings are in the minority, but if someone assists in their golf closure by not renewing then they cannot complain when the inevitable happens.
Jeez. How far detached from reality can you get?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
you come across as a stuck up entitled idot. your prioritys should be your family, yourself and then luxurys imo. even at 80% you don't know people's circumstances. and who's to say how long this 80% will last. my wife would be pretty mad if I paid £1300 for a luxury to find out in 2 weeks that that has changed to 70,60,50% or even nothing. let me ask, how deep would your club dig to pay your mortgage if you lost your job. I'm certain that they'd tell you to jog on.

id be amazed if you get even one like on your post.

the one thing we can agree on is you can't then moan if your club is forced to fold

Last edited:

User20204

Visit site

Well here is one self employed person with no emergency fund and hasn't earned a penny in 9 days now, yet you think I should be propping my golf club up.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well here is one self employed person with no emergency fund and hasn't earned a penny in 9 days now, yet you think I should be propping my golf club up.
your just selfish mate. cant you sell something or cash in a pension? you club needs your money.

on a serious note i hope things get better for you