When do you think you will next play golf?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
But I also guess we be playing casual golf all year, season a write off, with no comps
Which in the grand scheme of things
Wouldn't bother me 1 iota
Agree with this. And like you, I wouldn't be too worried about golf without comps. Comps are great, but right now any kind of golf would be welcome to me.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I can't help it if you don't get that I was putting up a counter-argument to the bleating golfers.

Restrict a cinema to online booking, staggered entry, restricted capacity so everyone sitting 3 metres apart, masks on, at the ? everyone leaves in single file keeping their distance, that's exactly the same as your golf example.

?? so even 3,4 seats away from each other, or more, how many times do you see people get up mid film, what then! This example of yours is, well ???

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Personally I don’t think they will be open, and not sure if I would play even if they did

This is a good question & thought, so they relax restrictions, golf can be played but with strict guidelines, schools start to reopen, but, if the risk is still well out there, and I know it won’t fully go away, how many will jump at the chance to play and how many will gladly send there kids to school, even though fresh cases are still being reported, but in much smaller numbers than currently.

I can’t see numbers of positive tests falling in under 3 weeks, in fact when we start testing more, those numbers will greatly increase, I accept that won’t necessarily mean a jump in deaths, but I can’t see those numbers drastically dropping either, so, what’s the barometer for individuals to ‘get on with their lives’ when able to do so?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had an email from club (Bristol) last night, they are planning on opening 11 May if possible, bookings for 2 balls open 4 May. There is a caveat that it may change

I would be very interested to know on what basis your club is coming up with this date. All of the governing bodies associated with running golf say the same thing - golf clubs will remain closed. The message on my post #492 on this thread was dated yesterday. I am on a WhatsApp group for all Golf Club Managers in the East Midlands Region and none of those managers has come up with such a suggested date or anything remotely like it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm imagining there are other sports, tennis is one that immediately springs to mind, that are having this exact same discussion. Golfers are not unique, everyone is looking for a route back. Tennis could quite easily start back up and be played safely, singles matches only to begin with. When the restrictions start to be loosened golf will not be the only sport offering suggestions for how it can begin to operate again.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm imagining there are other sports, tennis is one that immediately springs to mind, that are having this exact same discussion. Golfers are not unique, everyone is looking for a route back. Tennis could quite easily start back up and be played safely, singles matches only to begin with. When the restrictions start to be loosened golf will not be the only sport offering suggestions for how it can begin to operate again.

What about them both handling the same balls ??

Doodle

Visit site
I don't see any problem at all with golf clubs reopening for play from now on.
Judging by the majority of posts on here, most of you are so risk adverse that it seems you will need counselling to enable you to leave your personal fortress.

Meanwhile, for the half a dozen or so of us on here who are gagging to get out for a game, we will have loads of room.
???

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't see any problem at all with golf clubs reopening for play from now on.
Judging by the majority of posts on here, most of you are so risk adverse that it seems you will need counselling to enable you to leave your personal fortress.

Meanwhile, for the half a dozen or so of us on here who are gagging to get out for a game, we will have loads of room.
???

Attachments

• _20200419_114931.JPG
    _20200419_114931.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 3

Mick68

Visit site
The fact is that golf is unlike nearly any other outdoor pastime/hobby in that there is no physical contact, you don't need to be near anyone else (car park and 1st tee etc can be easily managed) , you don't need to touch anyone else's equipment and there's an almost unlimited amount of space. I know I'll be called an entitled golfer - I could name you - but the fact is golf is different. You can say it's unimportant but when the government takes away individual freedom it is a big deal and they should have to justify it which they can do for now but it should be challenged and tested every so often eg every 3 weeks and the rules altered as appropriate. It might be that in the coming weeks or months the governing bodies of different sports and different industry groups eg cinemas have to put forward proposals of how they can reopen safely and be judged on their merits. If that happened I think golf would be well-placed.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The fact is that golf is unlike nearly any other outdoor pastime/hobby in that there is no physical contact, you don't need to be near anyone else (car park and 1st tee etc can be easily managed) , you don't need to touch anyone else's equipment and there's an almost unlimited amount of space. I know I'll be called an entitled golfer - I could name you - but the fact is golf is different. You can say it's unimportant but when the government takes away individual freedom it is a big deal and they should have to justify it which they can do for now but it should be challenged and tested every so often eg every 3 weeks and the rules altered as appropriate. It might be that in the coming weeks or months the governing bodies of different sports and different industry groups eg cinemas have to put forward proposals of how they can reopen safely and be judged on their merits. If that happened I think golf would be well-placed.

What about traveling to golf, where is line drawn between essential travel & traveling to exercise, if indeed golf is an associated form of exercise?

I’ve read we can now drive to exercise as long as the exercise exceeds the drive, it takes me 2hrs to get to Woodhall Spa, a round is typically between 3.5 - 4hrs (fourball), so is that acceptable, or is the distance too far and falls into essential travel, and if so, where’s the line drawn?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Didnt they says they would look at relaxing things at different times depending on location.

N.ireland has been alot less affected by this than say london for example.

Would it not be prudent to attempt to relax things here first and see what they does to the numbers.

Obviously you would get people outraged at being Guinea pigs for the UK but I think it has merit.

Even when we start the exit strategy, its not a case of that's us now having turned the corner. We may be forced to take a backwards step if things deteriorate rapidly.

Mick68

Visit site
What about traveling to golf, where is line drawn between essential travel & traveling to exercise, if indeed golf is an associated form of exercise?

I’ve read we can now drive to exercise as long as the exercise exceeds the drive, it takes me 2hrs to get to Woodhall Spa, a round is typically between 3.5 - 4hrs (fourball), so is that acceptable, or is the distance too far and falls into essential travel, and if so, where’s the line drawn?
I suppose they would bring in what was deemed to be fair rules re travel and if you can comply great but if you can't then that would be a pity. Would you want no-one to be able to play because you couldn't. Tbh I think by the time they allow golf the travel rules will be less stringent.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is a good question & thought, so they relax restrictions, golf can be played but with strict guidelines, schools start to reopen, but, if the risk is still well out there, and I know it won’t fully go away, how many will jump at the chance to play and how many will gladly send there kids to school, even though fresh cases are still being reported, but in much smaller numbers than currently.

I can’t see numbers of positive tests falling in under 3 weeks, in fact when we start testing more, those numbers will greatly increase, I accept that won’t necessarily mean a jump in deaths, but I can’t see those numbers drastically dropping either, so, what’s the barometer for individuals to ‘get on with their lives’ when able to do so?

But could you not travel to a closer course if I choose to , to enable you to play?

My course is 15 mins from home and on my drive home from work (key worker) could play 9 holes after work (hour and half) without even changing my route home

Or I could drive 15 mins on a day off and play 3.5 hours or whatever it takes

If you are traveling 2 hours each way you would probably break the guidelines but on other hand could you pick another course just for the ability to play

Fish

Banned
Visit site
But could you not travel to a closer course if I choose to , to enable you to play?

My course is 15 mins from home and on my drive home from work (key worker) could play 9 holes after work (hour and half) without even changing my route home

Or I could drive 15 mins on a day off and play 3.5 hours or whatever it takes

If you are traveling 2 hours each way you would probably break the guidelines but on other hand could you pick another course just for the ability to play

It’s an example, my home course is 5 minutes away. I’m simply asking where the line is, if you are allowed to travel as long as the ‘exercise’ is greater than the travel time, where is the line drawn before it becomes so far it morphs into essential travel restrictions.

Mick68

Visit site

The number of positive tests might not fall as much because as you say more will be tested but I think the number of people contracting it has to fall and the number of deaths will fall - surely the lockdown is doing something. The people dying now contracted it 3-5 wks ago so pre or soon after lockdown. I think it is eventually going to be a case of everyone having to assess their own risk and the risk of those they live with and acting accordingly and what that is will also depend on their personality - selfish or unselfish, risk-taker of risk averse etc. I'll play, but will take the social distancing seriously but others in an identical situation to me might choose not to play.

Dannyc

Visit site
Fair enough lads I assumed that some were trying to say we should be golfing at the min
I agree golf should and will be one of the first things to reopen
I’m as frustrated as everybody else golf is my life
Work golf and piss my lady off is really the only 3 things I do now

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair enough lads I assumed that some were trying to say we should be golfing at the min
I agree golf should and will be one of the first things to reopen
I’m as frustrated as everybody else golf is my life
Work golf and piss my lady off is really the only 3 things I do now
No one is suggesting we all charge down and play this afternoon. We are just mulling over how it could work when govt allows us to do it. Us and every other sport but as someone posted earlier it is easier for golfers to play safely and keep distances than with many other sports.