When do you think you will next play golf?

Mick68

Visit site
China ran a scheme via your smart phone which enabled some normality to return, it was their first step after their strict lockdown ended. In effect, this may not be spot on but you will get the gist, each day you log on to the app, confirm if you have had it or not. You then take your temperature and confirm what it is. The app then gives you a green light. You can then go out but the police, shops etc can ask you at any time to show the green light. This allows you freedom of movement. Anyone who gets a red light is banned from going out, the app stays red, until the alloted isolation time is up. Equally, the app is a tracker, everyone who you came into contact with in the previous few days is identified and contacted by the app. If you have had the virus before then your app stays green, if you have not it turns red and you have to isolate.

The above is not a prefect description of how it works but hopefully it makes sense. I believe a UK version is being looked at as part of the relaxation process. My BiL works in China and used the app succesfully. It was very simple and seemed to be quite effective.
Hopefully something like that could work. We'll need to come up with something as if no vaccine this will be around for years.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
China ran a scheme via your smart phone which enabled some normality to return, it was their first step after their strict lockdown ended. In effect, this may not be spot on but you will get the gist, each day you log on to the app, confirm if you have had it or not. You then take your temperature and confirm what it is. The app then gives you a green light. You can then go out but the police, shops etc can ask you at any time to show the green light. This allows you freedom of movement. Anyone who gets a red light is banned from going out, the app stays red, until the alloted isolation time is up. Equally, the app is a tracker, everyone who you came into contact with in the previous few days is identified and contacted by the app. If you have had the virus before then your app stays green, if you have not it turns red and you have to isolate.

The above is not a prefect description of how it works but hopefully it makes sense. I believe a UK version is being looked at as part of the relaxation process. My BiL works in China and used the app succesfully. It was very simple and seemed to be quite effective.
Maybe this was their plan all along ?‍♂️

Grizzly

Visit site
The wish list is a quick vaccine. Preferably one we can make China pay to purchase or be very smug about not doing so.

I think most conspiracy theorists give the Government far too much credit...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
No vaccine for flu, sars etc, why does anyone think one can be found for this creature, which is worse!!

It’s now part of our lives I think ?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No vaccine for flu, sars etc, why does anyone think one can be found for this creature, which is worse!!

There are flu vaccines that prevent you catching existing strains but not new ones. Millions in this country alone get them every winter.

So, they will be able to develop one for this virus. Not too far off already I hear.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There are flu vaccines that prevent you catching existing strains but not new ones. Millions in this country alone get them every winter.

So, they will be able to develop one for this virus. Not too far off already I hear.
Human trials start Thursday...

Mick68

Visit site
Human trials start Thursday...
Don't want to sound defeatist but there are at least 3 other coronavirus which affect humans - the cold, SARS and MERs and we don't have a vaccine for any of them. Maybe we just haven't tried hard enough as the cold isn't severe enough and the other 2 have never really affected us - here's hoping.

D

Deleted member 21258

Flu virus mutates a lot quicker than coronavirus, cant remember the multiple but its a lot faster, so much harder to catch a moving target. This coronavirus so far seems fairly stable(it still mutates tho), three 'larger' mutations have been recorded(A,B,C) so far, and all are in widespread circulation depending on what part of the world you live in. However the attaching protein spike that the oxford vaccine are trying to use on CO19, has basically remained the same on all 'geno' samples across the world of the virus (well apart from one, which they are hoping is a miss read geno done in India iirc)

IIRC the oxford based trials are based on a vaccine originally prepared for the SARS and MERS(which are fairly similar) and is based on what they believe is a harmless 'dog' virus to us (I think, cant remember the name of that virus sorry) with that viruses protein spike modified to be the same at CO19. Apparently the human body remembers the modified virus better than it would with a coronavirus based virus. So hopefully a double win, if the oxford vaccine is successful and the virus does not mutate in the mean time....

Some of the stuff out there is really interesting to read about, and sure I have some of the technical bits wrong.

Just wish the virus would bog off tho, so we can get back to arguing about long/short socks:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My FiL would spend hours in those trees looking for lost balls. I bet he would come out with bag fulls as well.

Somehow it is soothing to see normal life happening somewhere. Australia seem to have been relatively okay in all of this.

Agree. Nice to see the world still turning.

He works in A&E in Brisbane and he said it wasnt too bad.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Talking to our Aussie cousins last night - half way up the east coast (approx) at Coffs Harbour... lower restrictions helped by much lower density of population and lower levels of international travel.

They listen to BBC World and were surprised to learn that anyone in the UK is still alive! (only partially joking)

Last edited:

5OTT

Visit site
At some point in the future the restrictions will start to be lifted and the Government will allow some sports to resume again albeit with social distancing in place, obviously we all hope that Golf will be one of the first sports to be allowed back but we are going to be biased this way. It got me thinking when the powers that be get ready to make these decisions what sports can you see being allowed back where social distancing can be followed and what is going to be out for the long haul? Lots of sports other than golf will be having this debate and I suddenly realised how few none contact sports there are.

Could come back :
Golf
Bowls
Archery
Fishing ( Is this a sport??? )
Darts????

Couldn't come back:
Football
Rugby
Cricket?
Boxing
Team rowing
Basketball
Hockey
MMA

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At some point in the future the restrictions will start to be lifted and the Government will allow some sports to resume again albeit with social distancing in place, obviously we all hope that Golf will be one of the first sports to be allowed back but we are going to be biased this way. It got me thinking when the powers that be get ready to make these decisions what sports can you see being allowed back where social distancing can be followed and what is going to be out for the long haul? Lots of sports other than golf will be having this debate and I suddenly realised how few none contact sports there are.

Could come back :
Golf
Bowls
Archery
Fishing ( Is this a sport??? )
Darts????

Couldn't come back:
Football
Rugby
Cricket?
Boxing
Team rowing