What's your favourite putter and why?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Given it's Putting Week at GM what's your favourite ever putter and why? How long did you use it, best putt holed, still have it etc etc?

Mine was a Tour Touch (like a fake Anser which couldn't afford) in the mid 80s that some scumbag nicked from my bag, never been the same since

https://www.golfmonthly.com/tag/putting-week

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My favourite putter is an Evnroll ER2 that AG used to have in Gosforth. Whenever I went it I would try it out. Beautifully balanced, I never missed with it on the mat :LOL:. I just could not justify the price.

Based on ones I have actually owned, my current one, an Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball Fang. It works better for me than any other putter I have owned. I've had it for 2-3 years, no change on the horizon, any misses are entirely my own. The two ball helps me line up, helps me putt straight through. The fang aspect helps keep the face square. It's a good weight for me.

Bearing in mind my memory is awful on these things I am going to say my best putt holed was earlier this year at an open at Bellingham GC. It was a fast, down hill putt, right to left, about 7-8 meters. Another player in our group had a similar putt, he missed, and I was able to see how it went. I knew the line, hit the line, got the pace perfectly, it went right in the middle. I knew it was in before it was halfway there. The green was excellent, thank you greenkeeper, so that helped. Huge putts often involve a large slice of luck but this was tricky and I did exactly what I wanted to do with it, not just a general putt it in the right direction. Not often that all comes together. There will be many sexier putts mentioned than this but I was very happy with mine.

Most disappointing putter was a Ping Cadence Ketsch putter. I loved how it looked, great grip, cover, just couldn't get on with it. Sold it within a month with a lot of sadness.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My current putter has been in the bag a while now, the Wilson Staff Bean. Perfect head size and shape, great grip and feel it spot on. Love the weight of it as well.

Took me ages to find the right putter after I made the massive mistake of lending my cherished Taylormade Big Fontana to my nephew who then proceeded to never return it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ive held/ used a LAB putter for all of 5 minutes and I can safely say - one of those!

They look awful, they cost a fortune - but they're absolutely amazing to use

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Odyssey White Hot Tour #7
Slightly firmer insert than the original Whote Hot and a gold finish.
Looks the business and, since I put a Superstroke 2.0 grip on it, I've become a better putter.
I honestly don't think there's another putter that would make me putt better.

Albo

Visit site
Currently a Scotty 11 which I love the weight and feel of that was a purchase earlier this year. Other than that I had an old ping blade back in the 90s which is still up in the loft somewhere, I have a total soft spot for that, on the days it was hot that thing was amazing, problem is those hot days were few and far between. Also had a Ram Zebra back in the day, surely everyone had one of those.

As for best putt, recency and humour bias, I was playing our 13th earlier this year, 2 tier green, i was on the back fringe on the top tier, flag on the bottom tier, lightening fast putt, lagged it to just the top of the slope and watched is just fall off down the tier and into the cup perfectly.
2 days later while playing the same hole, was telling my playing partner about the putt and once more found myself on the top tier flag on the bottom and to my amazement made the putt again, im talking a good 30 to 40ft putts too.
And if you'll allow me to finish, playing again a couple of days later, same hole same partner as the first one, im just on top tier, flag on the bottom, regaling how ive made this putt twice in a row asked if he wanted to concede the putt (tongue in cheek), which he didn't, so I roll is once more to the edge of the slope, once more it takes the slope gathers pace towards the hole, burns the lip ends up 6ft past and I miss the come back putt, to lose the hole to the hillarity of my playing partner.
Lesson learned, regardless of how good or confident you think you are, the golfing gods will always take their revenge

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
TaylorMade Spider EX. It's the mallet with the most toe-hang that I seem to be able to find. My pro has told me I need around 40* toe-hang (measured on some tech device thing they have), but that seems to rule out forgiving mallets. Not sure I'm good enough for a blade (although I do love the look of them)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
TaylorMade Spider EX. It's the mallet with the most toe-hang that I seem to be able to find. My pro has told me I need around 40* toe-hang (measured on some tech device thing they have), but that seems to rule out forgiving mallets. Not sure I'm good enough for a blade (although I do love the look of them)
What does that mean? Blade putters don't mean the same as blades for irons. You don't have to any better to use them. :ROFLMAO:

RichA

Visit site
I love my 50 year old Ping Anser putter. £24 from eBay, cleaned up and re-gripped, it's a thing of beauty and simplicity.
My favourite putter, however, is my OG White Hot 2-ball. Unlike the Anser, it wasn't cheap and the looks make me feel a bit sick. Also unlike the Anser, the ball goes exactly where I think I'm aiming it and when it misses the hole it can only be because I was aiming it in the wrong direction.
No particularly memorable long, winding putts yet but the number of <5 foot putts holed over the last few months has been a game changer.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Odyssey 2 ball. I’ve had it well over 10 years. I wanted to go to an anser style putter to save the old back (ie, not having to bend down to pick the ball up), but I couldn’t putt with it so went back to the trust 2 ball!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't they tend to be a lot less forgiving on off-centre strikes than mallet putters?
Not necessarily. Maybe they were designed to be, but if looking down at a mallet doesn't float your boat then you won't hole much with it anyway. I've never got one as I simply don't like the look of them. I've always felt it's just whatever suits the individual rather than one type being better than another.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The pair I should have never sold.

1997 Scotty Cameron Tel3 Newport 2. AKA The putter Tiger used to win his first Masters.

One was well used. The other had never seen a golf course and had only hit a few balls on the carpet.
Gave the used one to a mate when I stopped playing, and sold the other just before prices went ballistic.

I wish I could have them both back now. I've considered buying another, but not for the prices being asked these days.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Over the years, have had many putters (used to collect Scotty Camerons, had a lot of them over several years, but that's another story), but for years as a younger player, my go to was a cheap Wilson 8802 style putter, using a bad impression of Ben Crenshaw's stroke. It worked better than you might think. Still love that look of putter, simple, clean, classic. Started collecting Camerons with Napa style putters, similar to 8802s.

Subsequently moved on to a Ping Anser style, and later to a Del Mar (Odyssey number 9 style), and used several of those, at one stage one of Rory's old cast-offs. The Del Mar style, a heel shafted mini-male suited my slightly arcing stroke quite well. Now using a Kronos Metronome, a small mallet got from a member here.

And after several decades of putting right hand below left, switched to left below right in the middle of a bad putting round and like it much better.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Ping Anser circ 1975. Still got it somewhere. Bought it in Lilywhites for £18 when it was a proper sports shop.

The excitement of going up to Lilywhites with my dad was incredible. Always used to try on (but never buy) a pair of brown FootJoy Classics

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The excitement of going up to Lilywhites with my dad was incredible. Always used to try on (but never buy) a pair of brown FootJoy Classics
I made the mistake of going back to Lilywhites recently, and it was so disappointing. Nothing like I remembered as a 15 year old.

D

Deleted member 16999

My Edel putter I was fitted for in 2011, had a couple of others turn my head, but always come back to this one.