Crow Person
Visit site

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a ridiculous statement challenging my ridiculous statement. Simply because you don't agree doesn't make it any less valid an opinion and it certainly doesn't render it ridiculous.

When you have something constructive to add then come back.

Well, just answer my question ......................... it really is that simple.
It didn't come across as an opinion, so much as a statement and you really shouldn't make such sweeping statements without backing them up with some form of justification.
What's supposed to happen after your suggested four hour cut-off time?

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Saturday morning is clearly prime time and there is a roll up group that goes out before hours and tees off about 7.30. We usually go out about 8.00 for the first group but you can guarantee we'd have caught them up by the 3rd. It'll be slow from then on. We have mentioned it and do so every week, in the bar periodically and even put it in writing to the club as a group. They weren't interested and so the other group now feel they are untouchable and so are deaf to any protestations. If the club doesn't take the matter of slow play seriously, and the culprits don't see it as an issue, what hope is there? Fortunately, aside from this group, there aren't too many issues and competitions are usually 4 hours.

Visit site
Well, just answer my question ......................... it really is that simple.
It didn't come across as an opinion, so much as a statement and you really shouldn't make such sweeping statements without backing them up with some form of justification.

You high tail it back to the clubhouse and get your wrist slapped by the fasties 😂

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
As this thread is near to running its course i thank u for all the replys . Alot of the replys . My own included dont mind slow (ish) play so long as WE are moving along and WE are not held up or OUR game our OUR plans for after are not affected.. some key words in there.. maybe just maybe WE are some of the problem why people dont take up golf .

Take ur (reasonable) time and enjoy ur chances to play golf . Enjoy the time on the course u pay alot for the privelage to b out the ..

enjoy time now because unlike lost balls clubs or tees no one is gona hand it back to u

.. happy golfin thanks again for replys

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As this thread is near to running its course i thank u for all the replys . Alot of the replys . My own included dont mind slow (ish) play so long as WE are moving along and WE are not held up or OUR game our OUR plans for after are not affected.. some key words in there.. maybe just maybe WE are some of the problem why people dont take up golf .

Take ur (reasonable) time and enjoy ur chances to play golf . Enjoy the time on the course u pay alot for the privelage to b out the ..

enjoy time now because unlike lost balls clubs or tees no one is gona hand it back to u

.. happy golfin thanks again for replys

Can I just comment on this post and say you are not the reason why anyone is not taking up golf, but I am primarily replying as I find it very disappointing that you have not mentioned holding others up and the importance of it. I read the post twice to ensure I didn't miss it.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Can I just comment on this post and say you are not the reason why anyone is not taking up golf, but I am primarily replying as I find it very disappointing that you have not mentioned holding others up and the importance of it. I read the post twice to ensure I didn't miss it.

Surely the primary objective is to keep up with those in front. Behind you doesn’t matter then.

Granted if you’re first out then it may be relevant to help the round flow for everyone. Imo people wanting to get past those in front is just as detrimental to others rounds as those dawdling.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Surely the primary objective is to keep up with those in front. Behind you doesn’t matter then.

Granted if you’re first out then it may be relevant to help the round flow for everyone. Imo people wanting to get past those in front is just as detrimental to others rounds as those dawdling.

Can't disagree with anything you have said. I have posts before this one and in those have referenced that when talking about letting others through I am assuming there is space in front - in other words a gap has opened. If you have kept pace with the field there is no point whatsoever in letting groups through.

My disappointment expressed remains - in a summary of the Op's importance - no mention of letting others through if you have fallen behind those in front

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Can't disagree with anything you have said. I have posts before this one and in those have referenced that when talking about letting others through I am assuming there is space in front - in other words a gap has opened. If you have kept pace with the field there is no point whatsoever in letting groups through.

My disappointment expressed remains - in a summary of the Op's importance - no mention of letting others through if you have fallen behind those in front

He wrote this in his opening post

Im getting tired of this need for fast golf, quick golf etc now dont get me wrong there is nothing I hate more than being held up by people who have lost a Cpl of holes as I would always call people through if we drop behind for more than one hole

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Your silence says it all.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He wrote this in his opening post

I'm aware of that. Just highlighting what was and was not mentioned in the summary. The summary is key points. Maybe I'm being pedantic but I see the calling through as a very important point and worth a mention in any summary

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

That's not the way the rules ettiquette section is currently worded...and is self evidently flawed anyway.

It's without doubt the primary responsibility. However if you have a game that's obviously faster than you immediately behind you should consider if there's anywhere for them to go. If they are a 2, you are a 4 and the 4 ball in front of you (that you are easily keeping up with) has a couple of holes clear in front of them whilst its still early in the round, you should facilitate their progress.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
That's not the way the rules ettiquette section is currently worded...and is self evidently flawed anyway.

It's without doubt the primary responsibility. However if you have a game that's obviously faster than you immediately behind you should consider if there's anywhere for them to go. If they are a 2, you are a 4 and the 4 ball in front of you (that you are easily keeping up with) has a couple of holes clear in front of them whilst its still early in the round, you should facilitate their progress.

I can’t say I’ve seen the rule, but I’ve only ever read “keep up with the group in front and let anyone behind play through if a clear hole has been lost”.

Tbh, if I’m stuck behind a fourball and I can see loads of space I may consider letting them through, but if they have further 2 balls behind them and so on. All people on the course have to be realistic. I’d expect all 2 balls to be faster than a fourball but there’s no way I’m letting a twoball through on every other hole in the hope that the fourball ahead do so. Because that would clearly make my round longer due to no fault of my own.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
apologies i should of course mentioned the ones who cause delays for no reason . The others must wait while WE play the game at OUR pace and it all ok with US as long as WE enjoyed ourselves .. again as i summised its WE / US thats wrong with the game but its the game ppl keep try to change .. hòpe this adds some clariy

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
M
his reply as you have highlighted say more than one hole, which is too long IMO, a hole behind is more than enough;) to let people though, do they wait till its two?
My comment actualy was if i hold ppl up for more than one hole .. its easy to drop back a bit in the playing of a hole . Guys in front play it well .cpl of ye play it bad u can delay the ones behind on that hole . U should make r try to make up the ground on the next hole and if u cant u let the group through . Falling 2 holes behind u need to b having a chat within the group