Whats The Rush

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf should be fun

If you go shopping at weekends it takes longer. If you drive in rush hour it takes longer. If you post something at Christmas it takes longer. Guess what playing golf at peak times takes longer.

I agree with OP. It’s not a sprint. I personally enjoy the game and the company I am with. It takes as long as it takes. Never let it bother me. If I am pushed for time I walk in after 12 or skip the drink after.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't have an issue with say, 4 to 4 1/2 hours. What bugs me is waiting. I've had long rounds where I've just been sat waiting on tees. We're not rushing, we're just playing good golf, and the guys in front are unnecessarily slow, and won't let us through.

I have no problem with other groups playing quick, and no problem with them playing through if my group is being slow. It does piss me off if a group is playing slowly compared to the rest of the field and don't let anyone through.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't get me wrong HFH and the guys organising it is fantastic.

I get the day is about enjoyment and raising money but my point most on here are compentant golfers and are aware of slow play ( and some complain about it) but it still can take them around 4 hours 30.(y)

kevingopher

Medal Winner
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with what the OP says. Somedays 18 holes takes 3 hours sometimes it takes 4 1/2. Played a comp at St Enodoc the other day in 30 mph winds that took 5 plus. The weather, combined with the competitors abilities caused the long round, not players being slow or uncourteous of those around them. It was still better than being at work. If I only had 3 hours available on a Saturday to partake in a hobby, golf would not be it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm pretty sure H4H this year flowed pretty well.
We were off at 10 and I'm sure we finished at or not long after 2.
I'm with many here - if I'm moving I'm happy, if I'm standing around waiting then I'm not.

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Myself and playing partners are pretty quick and would regularly get round in 3 hours for a 4 ball and 2.40mins if two of us are playing. We don’t try and get round fast that’s just our pace of play.

Today two of us got round in 4 hours. We were let through by two 4 balls on the 2nd and 3rd hole. We then caught up with the two ball in front on the 5th and followed them through to the 18th. They were a little slower than us but didn’t really seem as though they held us up. I was suprised to see that the round had took 4 hours.

What frustrates me is when we finish a hole and arrive at the tee box whilst the 4 ball we have caught up with are still teeing off. They say “there are two four balls in front so no real point in going though” this is rubbish and ruins our golf as if we were to to take our tee shots we would be out of there way after our second shot and then could do the same in a couple of holes time when we meet the next four ball in the tee box. Instead we have to wait for them for the the rest of the round.

What really frustrates me is there is a Marshall bombing round in a buggy all day long not pushing the two balls through the slower groups. Instead they generally chat at the half way house or spend there time in the clubhouse drinking coffee.

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Somehow I always feel guilty when I hold up those behind me, even though it’s always because I’m being held up in front. Guess it’s the years of being hammered about slow play.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Fact 1
Some people like to play quickly
Fact 2
Some people like/need to play slowly.
Fact 3
Some people play in between

The only way to keep everyone happy is to let the fast players out first and the slower players out last.
That way, the fast players take 3 hours =happy
Slow players take 5 hours =happy
Everyone else 4 hours =happy.

Fact 4
Mixing slow players with fast players will not help anyone.

4 ball should be 4 hours maximum!

Fact 5
No-one has the right to tell anyone else how long their game of golf should take.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If someone wants to play slow, that’s up to them. Personally I can’t stand it, but I consider 4hts for a 4 ball about right.
What does wind me up is the dawdling between shots, those who continue to stand and chat when the way in front is clear and the group out of range and those who are unable to replace their club or whatever back into a moving trolley bag and need to stand still.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What does wind me up is the dawdling between shots, those who continue to stand and chat when the way in front is clear and the group out of range and those who are unable to replace their club or whatever back into a moving trolley bag and need to stand still.

If they were behind you, there would be no problems

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Fact 1
Some people like to play quickly
Fact 2
Some people like/need to play slowly.
Fact 3
Some people play in between

The only way to keep everyone happy is to let the fast players out first and the slower players out last.
That way, the fast players take 3 hours =happy
Slow players take 5 hours =happy
Everyone else 4 hours =happy.

Fact 4
Mixing slow players with fast players will not help anyone.

Fact 5
No-one has the right to tell anyone else how long their game of golf should take.

So the signs on golf courses saying "are you on time" "you should be 90 minutes to here" shouldn't be on the course to advise and encourage players to play appropriately and considerately.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think I read somewhere that there is no correct answer. This totally bemuses me. Its so simple. If you have lost ground on the group in front and are holding up someone behind you LET THEM THROUGH. It's that easy. If your doing this several times a round on this basis or SHOULD be doing this several times a round then you know you are slow.

I have no problem with you at all if you let everyone through. I doubt anyone would admit it here, but there are groups, many many of them around who don't or won't do this

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why go out in 4 in medals? At my club 3 is the max allowed in any medal.

We used to do 3 balls at 8 minutes, and now we do 4 balls at 10 minute intervals. Initially it worked well, and medal rounds were taking 4 hours, but it has stopped working now, and I have no idea why.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Some days it takes 3:45 to get round, and some days it takes 4:30 to get round. I don't care. I make time to play golf, which includes an hour or so for a post-mortem in the club afterwards. If I need to pinch a bit of time from the post round chat to be home at a certain time I will but, equally, if the craic is good I'll stay longer. Why spoil a good time by rushing it?

There's no right or wrong answer. If you have family you have to get back to, then you have family you have to get back to. If they've flown the nest, and your better half expects you when you arrive, that's equally fine.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What they used to do at Chesfield was put the quick players out first. Think they still do.

They also have zoned draws (So you can pick to go out 7:30-8:15, or say 8:30-9:15 etc) and have a gap between the zones to create a bit of room for the ebb and flow of the round rather than have the whole course bunched up.

obv only works with drawn comps when someone can control who goes out when.

Think that system works really well.