What's the lowest handicapper that you've played with?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played against a senior last week who was off 3. 70yo but still hit the ball a long way and was very accurate with his irons.

Forgot to ask him what the lowest was he had played off over the years.

Anoetic

Visit site
+5 at the time under the old hcap system…..he was using the original callaway warbird woods, Spalding tour edition irons and a bullseye putter…the only thing people would use the 1 iron for now is to butter bread….

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Plus 5 with a man who had been coached at our club and had been given membership. He looked at the course in a different way to me regarding driving lines.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Guy at my place is currently +5.2 but I wouldn't be so rude as to post his name on here, nor should anyone else.

When I played against him in a 4 ball he was +2 I think.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
+5, he made final qualifying for the open several times and held off turning pro as he was trying to get into the walker cup team.
I've since left the club sono idea of what happened to his ambitions/career.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
+5, several times club champion, Gary O'Neil, ex-footballer and now assistant manager at Bournemouth. Very good golfer who makes it look effortless.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
The guy was at 1 when we started on the 1st tee, scratch when we finished the 18. Can I claim I took him there? I think he was 18 or 19 at the time, hit it miles.
(Technically he became scratch after results have been computed)

evemccc

Visit site
Guy at my place is currently +5.2 but I wouldn't be so rude as to post his name on here, nor should anyone else.

When I played against him in a 4 ball he was +2 I think.

When people play against +scratch golfers what is it that stands out generally? Is it ‘everything’, is it short game, putting, the knowledge and golf IQ to play the right clubs and shots in any situation, or bombers with their driver and long irons?

When I walked around with a +6 and a +3 I’d say it was both their driving off the tee…v long and straight, and their putting….it felt like almost everything was a puttable chance for them

Springveldt

Visit site
One of my regular playing partners is usually +2 (currently +1.4) and my game has came on loads just by watching him. He’s been club champion 5 times now. It’s always a bit of an eye opener when I’m marking his card and you get to the turn and realise he’s 2 under without doing anything spectacular.

I’ve also played with quite a few of the other team members ranging from +4 to scratch. Sometimes it feels like I’m playing a different game from them when I hit a Sunday best drive only for them to knock a 3 iron past me with what looks like a slow, smooth swing.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Pro in a local pro-am league who had been off +5 or more and was apparently in the same group as the Westwood and Clarke sign-ups, but lacked that bit of something extra to be a successful tour player so went back to being a pro teacher. Played with him several times and he blew my mind away.

D

Deleted member 1147

+4 on the old system
So probably +6 in the new one

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I've mentioned it a couple of times on here but the best amateur I've ever played with was a lad who didnt have a handicap at the time but was off +2 as a teenager and used to be in Rorys junior team in Northern Ireland.

He just saw the course differently and was hitting shots I could only dream of.

The father in law plays off scratch at 58 yrs old still and set the competition course record off the whites at St Annes Old Links last year with a 66.

He doesn't carry a driver and isn't the longest but is metronomic with his FIRs and GIRs. Quite boring to watch really... and then you realise he's 2 or 3 under. His short game is phenomenal though, anywhere within 50 yards of the green and I'd back him to get up and down 9 times out of 10.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When people play against +scratch golfers what is it that stands out generally? Is it ‘everything’, is it short game, putting, the knowledge and golf IQ to play the right clubs and shots in any situation, or bombers with their driver and long irons?

Whenever I've played with really good golfers, the thing that stands out most of all is their short game. Chipping and putting will be deadly. They don't have to be particularly long, their short game makes up for any deficiency elsewhere.

Bobthesock

Visit site
No disrespect to the lady in the OP, she's clearly an amazing golfer, but, what handicap would a man be with an identical game? Scratch to +1 maybe?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've mentioned it a couple of times on here but the best amateur I've ever played with was a lad who didnt have a handicap at the time but was off +2 as a teenager and used to be in Rorys junior team in Northern Ireland.

He just saw the course differently and was hitting shots I could only dream of.

The father in law plays off scratch at 58 yrs old still and set the competition course record off the whites at St Annes Old Links last year with a 66.

He doesn't carry a driver and isn't the longest but is metronomic with his FIRs and GIRs. Quite boring to watch really... and then you realise he's 2 or 3 under. His short game is phenomenal though, anywhere within 50 yards of the green and I'd back him to get up and down 9 times out of 10.
Really interesting he doesn't carry a driver. You'd imagine at that level he'd be good enough with it and would be looking for the extra distance as he gets older