What's the lowest handicapper that you've played with?

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Just checking that this committed standard full-swing stock shot is still ‘swinging within yourself’ and not busting a gut to hit it as far as can?

I was always told to ‘swing within yourself’ and I know DJ swings at about 90%

When you mean commit to a shot you mean more of a mental thing, and just a full shot —-which in my head is not a 100% busting a gut swing as fast as I can hit it?

Yes it's a full shot but not swinging out of my shoes so as you say a 90% swing. I just find that a 3/4 shot leads to me taking too much off and either my hands take over or I end up hitting it shorter than I would if I'd taken less club, I guess you just have to find out what patterns you have as an individual & work around them.

The funny thing is I'm quite happy to hit a half or three quarter sand or gap wedge shot.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played with one of the young pro's at my club - not sure if he has a handicap other than scratch - got to the final qualifying of the Open championship; so he can play a wee bit! Played with him a few months back before the drought and he went around in 5 under. Some amazing golf and made me chuckle with shots that he wasn't happy with and I'd bite his hand off for them :giggle:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played with one of the young pro's at my club - not sure if he has a handicap other than scratch - got to the final qualifying of the Open championship; so he can play a wee bit! Played with him a few months back before the drought and he went around in 5 under. Some amazing golf and made me chuckle with shots that he wasn't happy with and I'd bite his hand off for them :giggle:
I've been in that situation and it does make me laugh. Can I have your bad shots please?

For me, I have played with a few teaching pro's at corporate charity days.

The stand outs:

They are in control off the tee
Their ball striking is consistent and pure
Their chipping around the green, including recovery shots, is very tight
Their first putts have tremendous pace control meaning any second putt, if required, is just a tap in.

They just don't waste shots in the way handicap golfers do, everything is tighter. No miracle shots but they do everything well.

I've not played with any amateur scratch or plus golfers but I have played with some in the 2-5 h/c category. They do similar to the above but just not quite as well. It's small margins.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I went out with a friend and a couple of players that he coaches in his college team. There was a +5, +4 and a +2. They play golf on a totally different level, but it does make you realize just how good the tour pros are when these boys aren't good enough to compete with them.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes it's a full shot but not swinging out of my shoes so as you say a 90% swing. I just find that a 3/4 shot leads to me taking too much off and either my hands take over or I end up hitting it shorter than I would if I'd taken less club, I guess you just have to find out what patterns you have as an individual & work around them.

The funny thing is I'm quite happy to hit a half or three quarter sand or gap wedge shot.
If I decide lesser club with commitment but I try and swing ‘out of my shoes’ with a ‘full swing’, then again my head gets in the way and I revert to my ‘old way’ as head doesn’t yet properly know how to get club back to ball from such a place and arms and hands take over.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
View attachment 43928

This is all the + handicaps at our club. I have played with the +3.2, and he was the first golfer I have ever properly “watched”. I noticed how he hit the ball, how good his swing was, and it was different to anyone I had ever seen before. Normally I don’t pay much attention to someone’s swing… He was different gravy.

I told him after 6 holes that his swing is reminiscent of Jon Rahm. He was incredibly humble, and shot the “worst” -1 I’ve ever seen. It could have been 62, but he didn’t hole a thing all day.

I was told afterwards, whilst singing his praises in the bar, that he played on multiple tours at a younger age and had been based at Burnham & Berrow. You have to be a serious golfer to take that course on every week ? He never even mentioned any of it, whilst I was sucking up to him all round.

The ball was so driven, low flighted, but just carried forever… And he never had more than about 3 yards of draw/fade, just awesome to watch, also it looked effortless.

I think the top 2 handicaps are new members, ex pros, but not based upon more than a few scores on IG. So not a true reflection.

Our club champion/most successful player is actually +2.5 atm, but under the congu system was at +4 which I think is mightily impressive.

Same as you... Except I played with the 2.5 our most successful player.

Excellent to watch, nothing amazing really, just no mistakes. Think he shot a 72 that day.

badgergm

Visit site
Played with a British Amateur champion. 40 years ago mind you, so was only +1 or scratch. only a few plus handicap players in whole of Ireland then. A genuinely great amateur. Hit a 1 iron beautifully.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I was a member at south staffs, Ian woosnam hosted an invitational tournament there. The day before, I booked in for a solo round, checked in at the pro shop to be told ‘one of the pros has booked in with you if that’s ok.’

Can’t for the life of me remember his name, he’s played on the European tour. Anyway, played 18 holes with him, total pleasure. Bricking myself on the first tee but he was very patient and encouraging, asking me questions about the course, what lines to take, where the misses are etc, tried to give me some swing tips, told me about life on tour etc. Loved every second of it. Watching his swing was awesome, but it was the putting and short game that stood out, totally different league to us mere mortals.

Determined to remember his name, I’ll be back when I have!

Said I’d be back when I’ve got his name… Mike Reynard.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played with a -3 player at our club. He was the son of the club Pro and now plays on the PGA tour. I've watched Ollie Farrell play who also plays at our club and it's amazing to see his drives.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I've played with a couple of young lower level tour Pros who are just starting out their professional careers and it was absolute pleasure on both occasions. One of them turned pro off +6 and has played a lot of EuroPro, some challenge tour and even a couple of sponsors invite to European Tour (back when it was still called that). His ball striking was obviously on another level, just so pure and consistent and just in complete control. Off the tee with driver he was a joke. I've still never seen anyone else hit driver like he did. The flight was different somehow, the wind also didn't seem to have as much of an affect on his ball compared to us. He was able to take lines off the tee that you don't even comprehend, there is no such thing as a par 5, just long par 4s. I didn't get to see much of his chipping because I think he only missed maybe 3-4 greens. Every putt they attempt seems to threaten the hole and have a chance of going in regardless of distance from the hole. I think he shot 6 or 7 under on the day and it was the easiest 6/7 under you'll ever see.

The other lad I've played with is from my club and turned pro off +3 but went to college in America. I've actually had a few lessons off him recently he's a lovely bloke. He's not quite as long off the tee as the other guy but his all round game is very very impressive and his standout quality without question is his putting. Heavans alive if the ball is within 15 foot you might as well tell him to pick it up.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to play with an American based over here whilst playing the European Tour.
He played all four rounds in The Open at Muirfield when Faldo won!
Totally different game ................................. totally different.
My brother caddied for him in The Irish Open that year.

Visit site
I'm playing with a +3 and +1 in a 36 hole medal on Sunday. Hoping they'll show me where the fairway is... Problem is, they're not gonna be very good at finding golf balls.

Weird day of golf…. 77 in the morning from the +3, including a stretch where he had double bogey, eagle and then a 5 putt triple bogey 7 ?

82 from the +1 in the morning whilst I plodded round in 79.

Then the +3 shot 74, and the +1 shot 66 in the afternoon. Par is 70 - 66 is the best round of golf I have ever witnessed. How you can go from 82 to 66 I’ll never know. He bogeyed 16 and 18, including a 4foot missed putt on the last, but was threatening the course record at -5 through 11 ?

It’s a different game for them tbh. After my 79 in the morning, which featured a triple and 2 doubles, l limped home in 85… dropping 10 shots in the last 6 holes. Me and the +3 both went out in +5… difference is he shot -1 back 9 and I had +10 ☹️

TigerTime

Visit site
Played with all sorts up to scratch.

Two main things jumped out to me when playing with the guys off scratch. The first guy, drove the ball 30/40 yards past me every time. He also hit every green possible 90%+ of the time. The second scratcher, was just an accurate aswell, and could putt.