Played with a plus 2 handicapper

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe a bit of silly one to some but played with a guy off +2 there the other day and wow I was super impressed I mean his game plan and how he plays the hole is completed different to how I see it.

He takes lines off the tee that I be thinking to myself I'd only do that if I was playing tiger woods on the playstation.

Even comparing his game to 2/3 handicapper. It really is on a different level..

Then I think to myself the step up to the players on the tour how much better again they would be.

Suffice to say I now feel like a 20handicapper after that golfing lesson at the weekend lol

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A Mates son last time I played him was off 4 think it was few years back

Apparently he is off plus 2 now

Be interesting to see what level he gets to. Think they are targeting the states college system but covid will have affected that

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
great to watch, but depressing for your own game esp when you fill the card out at the end and have to add a load of shots on and they still beat you by miles:LOL:

playing with my mate Robert this morning who will be off +2 after his win on Saturday gross 71 Css76 off the back tee and a 4 club wind, beat all the youngsters and is almost 60(y) at least he may give me a load of shots:cry:

Last edited:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played with a lad off +2 in a medal a couple of times at my place and it's insane. He played college golf in the US and was apparently one of the bigger hitters in the college comps he played so watching him play our course was mad. Par 5 2nd is an uphill pretty long par 5 playing 522 off the whites, he hit driver-8 iron, never seen anything like it. Then the 3rd is a par 4 that isn't reachable in 2 for most members, he had a flick on from 70 yards with a lob wedge, just a totally different game. Impressive to watch.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was control of the ball that stood out to me whenever I've played with golfers of that standard. When they are playing off the same tees as us mortals they are not having to over extend themselves and so can dangle the ball on a piece of string. Go down the left side, right side, over the corner, draw, fade, all to order at will. An absolute pleasure to watch close up. Oh to have a fraction of that control.

D

Deleted member 3432

great to watch, but depressing for your own game esp when you fill the card out at the end and have to had a load of shots on and they still beat you by miles:LOL:

playing with my mate Robert this morning who will be off +2 after his win on Saturday gross 71 Css76 off the back tee and a 4 club wind, beat all the youngsters and is almost 60(y) at least he may give me a load of shots:cry:

I bet he is no longer than you off the tee, hits the faiway, hits the green, even with longer approach shots, chips it close and putts solidly taking birdie opportunites when they present themselves.

No frills just very very solid all round.

They don't hit better shots than us, just don't hit our bad shots and certainly don't follow a bad shot with another bad shot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have played a lot of Regional Pro Ams over the years some of the guys have impressed me some have not.

Two of the guys that impressed me the most for different reasons

One sprayed his driver absolutely everywhere but up and downed it from some seemingly impossible places 23 putts for the round and a 4 under.

The other was like setting a guided missile, him " where do I go here Jim?" me "aim at that tree with a slight fade/draw to take it round the corner" boom exactly as I told him. The only thing he lacked was professional distance with the driver and he was reinstated as an amateur after quickly realising he was not going to make it as a pro for that simple reason.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I've posted this a few times before but it's a fond memory of mine and I still think about it often. Was fortunate to play with a local lad about 18 months ago who had not long turned Pro and was playing Challenge Tour and had had the odd invite to European Tour. He turned Pro off plus 6 and I tell you this lad was something else. You try to learn from them but you can't because they play the game differently. They take lines off the tee that you wouldn't even consider. The ball striking and control of ball flight is just on another level. There's no such thing really as a par 5 to them just long par 4s. It was an absolute pleasure to watch up close. Think he shot 6 under on the day but probably should have been 8-9 under. It was astonishing.

Without sounding full of myself I've always considered myself a decent ball striker and I hit the ball pretty well when my games on. Then you see a pro or a plus handicap golfer hit a ball and it's almost a humbling experience and brings you right back down to earth and you realise you're not actually that good after all. Was at the range the other day, this lad comes in the bay next to me and starts hitting balls and I could feel the floor vibrating as he was hitting his irons he was compressing the ball that hard. The sound it was making was like someone cracking a whip. I said geeees fella you hit them irons well don't you. Turns out he was a former Pro who'd had a break and was getting back into it after a few years pursuing a long drive career. This was at a Toptracer range so I was able to see his numbers - he was hitting 5 iron launching at 9 degrees, 162mph ball speed, 120 peak height and carrying about 220. Imagine that for a ball fight! Like I said. Just another level.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've played with someone off plus 4 and similar comments around how in control they were, distances hit etc. At times they would make a birdie so straight forward you'd forget to congratulate them!

Interesting this thread is so positive about the distances hit, control and shape of a golf ball, sound of it and low scores (although not huge numbers of posters) compared with the conversation on the distance debate thread that seems slightly the opposite around tour viewing. The fact we also acknowledge a plus 2 is still a way behind tour pros etc shows how talented they are.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe a bit of silly one to some but played with a guy off +2 there the other day and wow I was super impressed I mean his game plan and how he plays the hole is completed different to how I see it.

He takes lines off the tee that I be thinking to myself I'd only do that if I was playing tiger woods on the playstation.

Even comparing his game to 2/3 handicapper. It really is on a different level..

Then I think to myself the step up to the players on the tour how much better again they would be.

Suffice to say I now feel like a 20handicapper after that golfing lesson at the weekend lol

I've played with a few guys off scratch or +1.

In fact, thing that's surprised me is that they actually play quite a lot of average shots. Difference is;
* not compounding an error
* good recovery shots
* giving themselves birdie chances throughout the round, even when they might not have gotten their drive away as well as they'd hoped
* eating up par 5s & short par 4s

But even then, there is still a huge difference from a good scratch club golfer to getting anywhere near getting status on tour. Especially given how tough a tour venue will be compared with most members clubs.

D

Deleted Member 1156

We have a +4 in our Sunday rollup. Ex British amateur champion and European tour player.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Have a lad at Spalding who plays off +4 and he is a top lad too.

His score just kind of creeps up on you. No major wow shots because they’re all just good shots. Hits fairways and greens in reg and makes the putts.

You’ll be waking off 18 and and he will have shot a 66 and you won’t have noticed. It’s surreal

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I've played with a few guys off scratch or +1.

In fact, thing that's surprised me is that they actually play quite a lot of average shots. Difference is;
* not compounding an error
* good recovery shots
* giving themselves birdie chances throughout the round, even when they might not have gotten their drive away as well as they'd hoped
* eating up par 5s & short par 4s

But even then, there is still a huge difference from a good scratch club golfer to getting anywhere near getting status on tour. Especially given how tough a tour venue will be compared with most members clubs.
Dan Hendrikesen did a youtube video with his brother, and the one thing that stood out was distance control. If you need to shoot 170 yards and you shoot 170 yards then you are only ever a few yards left or right, but if you spray the distance then you might be 15 yard short or long on top of that.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’ve played with loads of low guys over the years. Some have outstanding long games, some are short game wizards, and some are very good at everything, some have great course/game management, some make loads of birdies and quite a few bogies.
Much like some higher handicappers are good ball strikers who can’t putt and some are good putters but are wayward off the tee etc.

I’m off 3 instead of being low, because I have a decent long game and a pretty good short game. I don’t excel at anything and I make too many errors.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve played with loads of low guys over the years. Some have outstanding long games, some are short game wizards, and some are very good at everything, some have great course/game management, some make loads of birdies and quite a few bogies.
Much like some higher handicappers are good ball strikers who can’t putt and some are good putters but are wayward off the tee etc.

I’m off 3 instead of being low, because I have a decent long game and a pretty good short game. I don’t excel at anything and I make too many errors.
You weren't that shoddy around my place (maybe you had a good 'caddy' - though I doubt it) :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
That's probably one of the best points.
I'm in the low category, often I hit it fairly well, sometimes it can look very, very ordinary as ball striking has never been my strength.
Short game is key, but one thing I do think separates low players from most is distance control. Unless there's a hard bounce or swirling wind, on a parkland course with receptive greens I wouldn't expect to be long or short by more than a few yards with any iron (notwithstanding mis-hits). Anything up to around 130 (wedges), my genuine expectation over the ball is to be absolutely spot on distance - wise.

I'd also add that being short or long is often a deliberate choice, eg in between clubs with the pin right at the back (must leave it short), or pin at the front with a very soft, maybe uphill, fringe (must not be short). A low player will be factoring this in automatically and aiming to hit the ball to the right place, not necessarily AT the pin.

So whilst all players have different strengths and weaknesses, I doubt if there's a scratch or better player who's distance control is poor.

Is that all I need to get my handicap down to near yours?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I bet he is no longer than you off the tee, hits the faiway, hits the green, even with longer approach shots, chips it close and putts solidly taking birdie opportunites when they present themselves.

No frills just very very solid all round.

They don't hit better shots than us, just don't hit our bad shots and certainly don't follow a bad shot with another bad shot.
alass i wish it were the case, but he's 30 yards past me off the tee. Quality player has been CC a couple of times in the last 10 years.

but shows just how good some of the really low guys are, Robert was in the same place today as Sandy was a few weeks ago, but today was down wind, Sany it was into the wind... put on some distance after being at US Coll for the last few years... +5 though

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a guy off +2 in a scratch match a few years back. We were chatting down the first fairway and I asked him what events he had coming up.
"The British Amateur and then qualifying for the Open. How about you?"
"I've got a roll-up on Friday with my mates".
I had exactly the same scenario except he said +6.
I was playing number 1 because I was CC but just watched his game.
Took him to 16 th which I was chuffed with.
Probably the only time I happy to be beaten