Played with a plus 2 handicapper

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I had exactly the same scenario except he said +6.
I was playing number 1 because I was CC but just watched his game.
Took him to 16 th which I was chuffed with.
Probably the only time I happy to be beaten

Ha - that would be tough going. I'd always fancy my chances in a match, really playing a smart game, keeping it in play and making a load of net pars and few birdies.

But I guess someone off +6 is going to be making birdie at about half the holes - maybe with the odd miss contributing to a bogey but not doing much damage in matchplay.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ha - that would be tough going. I'd always fancy my chances in a match, really playing a smart game, keeping it in play and making a load of net pars and few birdies.

But I guess someone off +6 is going to be making birdie at about half the holes - maybe with the odd miss contributing to a bogey but not doing much damage in matchplay.
He was at a reputed easy course ( not my words) but a hell of a player.
It was a pleasure to watch him.
I play with a few scratch lads and they don’t come close, seems silly to say until you see someone like him!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had exactly the same scenario except he said +6.
I was playing number 1 because I was CC but just watched his game.
Took him to 16 th which I was chuffed with.
Probably the only time I happy to be beaten

I got to the 16th too - I was 1 up through nine on his own track until he hit me with four birdies in the next seven holes. I was happy just making one more in that time. Great match though.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I had a similar experience but was playing a very good scratch player iirc, I was in touch all the way round until near the end of the round then birdie, birdie, birdie, I got the feeling he was just being polite, and there was never a doubt in his mind he was going to win.

D

Deleted member 1147

I was runner up in the club champs a few years ago...I was 6 behind a +4 handicap after 2 rounds.
I was delighted by this because I was off 5 at the time, and thus he should have beaten me by 18 over those two rounds.
That’s where you see the amount that better players beat us by. A few shots in one round doesn’t seem to much, but 20-40 shots over 4 round events is just mental.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Back in '92 I played quite a bit with an American pro who was over here to try and qualify for The Open.
It was a game I didn't recognise!
Effortless power, sublime short game, ridiculous confidence in his ability and a phenomenal array of recovery shots.
We generally played at Pyrford or Bramley, quite clearly far too short for a player of that standard.
It was wonderful to be a part of and he was a real nice guy too.
Unfortunately, my brother got the gig to caddy for him at The Irish Open that year.
As for The Open, he did qualify and played all four days, finishing in T55.
He beat Jack Nicklaus!
I exacted my revenge by taking him fly fishing.
He blanked .................. I didn't. :LOL:

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
I have been lucky enough to play with some amazing golfers over the years and consistent controlled shot shape and Unbelievable short games are what stand out most. The distance has not been the main thing in my view. Although it is probably what impresses people most.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have played with a few low players, some Tour players or future Tour players and as low as +4. One game with a +4 was along with a 2, and the 2 (who got round in +1) looked like a chopper next to the +4 (who was -8 gross), who was rarely out of position, never compounded minor errors and managed his game like a master tactician. Of course, that is a bit easier to do when you can hit it where you want it and leave a makeable birdie putt on practically every green.

I used to work with a guy who was a very tidy 1 handicap. Hit the ball a good length, shaped it nicely and good short game. At the start of one season, he told me he was taking lessons because his two-way miss was hurting his game. I hadn't noticed he had a two-way miss, but he worked on it for a few lessons. Two months later he was playing off +2 hitting a consistent fade (about 6 feet in the air).

Another guy was a scratch player at Uni. Very tidy straight game. We lost contact after graduation, and over 20 years later I noticed he had got to the later rounds of a high level scratch event. I contacted him to congratulate him and asked about his game. Turned out he was now playing off +1 despite having a hideously busy career that barely left him any time to practice or play, and a family. The guy was just a natural and a small amount of the right sort of practice was enough to maintain his game.