What's the highest level you've competed at?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Used to play table tennis at a national league level. Played against (in practise not competition!) Desmond Douglas and Chen Xinhua. Both sooooo many levels above what I could ever have acheved.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
County level at football and athletics.

As a kid, I played against Craig Bellamy for a number of years (this was before he signed for Norwich). Always got on well with him but had a bit of a temper even back then!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many years ago I had a rally driving day and came 1st of all the competitors.
I was asked back for a regional finals day, with the overall winner being sponsored for a rally in Dubai in a works rally car.
For some reason I couldn't make the day of the finals.
Hey ho, what could have been!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
played county cricket upto u18 and then division 1 and premier league cricket in Kent and Surrey. Had the joys of playing against Brad Haddin (complete tool), a young Rob key (he was festively plump back then as well), former Indian test player nilesh Killarni, Kent and England all rounder mark ealham and Zimbabwean Trevor gripper.

Played Kent league premier football for VCD at u18 with various England youth players against the likes of chartlon, millwall. Don’t recall if any of them made it

Wolf

Visit site
played county cricket upto u18 and then division 1 and premier league cricket in Kent and Surrey. Had the joys of playing against Brad Haddin (complete tool), a young Rob key (he was festively plump back then as well), former Indian test player nilesh Killarni, Kent and England all rounder mark ealham and Zimbabwean Trevor gripper.

Played Kent league premier football for VCD at u18 with various England youth players against the likes of chartlon, millwall. Don’t recall if any of them made it

Would that be the VCD that play up near the gas works in Crayford. Remember playing playing a friendly against them for Charlton Academy nice little pitch and set up they had with the little stand at the side of the pitch. With use of the social club area as well.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Won a National tenpin title at 18. Whoop!

Was offered chance to do regional and national team trials, but at same time I was told the training sessions were 8am sat/sun morning. Social life meant that wasn’t an option.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Would that be the VCD that play up near the gas works in Crayford. Remember playing playing a friendly against them for Charlton Academy nice little pitch and set up they had with the little stand at the side of the pitch. With use of the social club area as well.

Yes it would mate.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 seasons Junior football in East Scotland Superleague when I was 18/19. Got a job that meant I had to work Saturdays and had to stop playing. Then did my knee good and proper 3 years later.

D

Deleted member 1147

I played 40 minutes at fly half for derby under 18s.
I got battered!
I ended up walking off the pitch like something out of a George A Romero movie 🧟‍♂️ !

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played cricket to first class level with Ireland (1999 - 2006; 43 caps) and Essex (2003 & 2004). Played a handful of first class games & List A games for Essex. Played with and against quite a few test players/ODI players - played with Eoin Morgan/Sir Alastair Cook/Ravi Bopara/Andy Flower.

Unfortunately I never had any notable performances really for Essex apart from one bowling performance against Durham and 3-55 off 10 against South Africa in a mixed Middlesex/Essex XI - highlight being, bowling Lance Klusener first ball with a cracking middle stump yorker. For Ireland had some good performances in 50 over matches before Ireland had ODI status; 2-26 against West Indies (2004) including Chris Gayle - also played against Australia in a match that ended up being rained off but bowled against Hayden & Langer only conceding 15 runs in 7 overs and was the catalyst to making me believe I could give trying to get a contract with a county a go.

Ended up being released in 2004 but I was so injury prone it was ridiculous. I could bowl half decent pace (around 85mph) but the body couldn't cope at all!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A post by SteveW86 in the "How good could you have been" thread got me thinking. What is the highest level that you have competed at and in what sport? Now I'm not expecting many to have been "a multiple national, European and world champion" as per Steve's post but how high have you got?

For me, I've played minor counties cricket (Norfolk) and also been in the Norfolk tennis age group squads as I was growing up.

EDIT - and have you played against anyone who has gone on to be famous in the sport?

I played against Michael Vaughan when he captained Yorkshire U15's at Cromer against Norfolk (and he scored one of the slowest and most boring hundreds I've ever witnessed). And played against Glenn Chapple when he was with Lancashire U19's.

Have also played football against Liam Botham.

Fair play to that. I've watched a fair bit of Minor Counties cricket over the last 3/4 seasons and have found it a very enjoyable watch and a decent standard. Saw Norfolk play in the T20 Finals Day last August at Wormsley.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I played in goal for Corinthian Casuals when I was 20, due to an injury to their first choice keeper. Played about 6 games.
Think it was the isthmian league.
Similarly I played 24 minutes of an FA Cup first qualifying round for Banstead as the first team and reserve keepers were injured and their next choice decided was unavailable through work. Definitely scraped the bottom of the barrel and probably a blessing I got taken off injured. Mind you it was still 0-0 at the time. I played school cricket with James Boiling who went on to play for Surrey and Durham and played for England A

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Before golf snooker was my game I was never good enough for top amateur but good enough for the team that always got in the top 3 of the Guildford and District League, (big league of 12 divisions of 12 teams).