I hope i made the right decision!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok this may be a longish post so apologies in advance in case my fingers run riot.....
I made a promise to myself 3 years ago that when i took up the game after injury through football that i would try to get as low as i can and secondly that when i got to a mid handicap that i would hope to represent my club at Inter club level....
Well at the start of the season they requested that anyone interested in playing should put there names down on the relevant sheet in the club house which i duly did....As my swing was starting to show some signs of change i thought it might be a good decision to go for it now.....Anyway there have been trials 2 nights a week for the past 5 weeks and iv only been able to make 1 of them because of work...I dont finish until 6 o clock and the trials were starting at 5:30....

Anyway after playing last weekend i was really struggling with my game....Conditions were deplorable but i battled away....I knew i wasnt swinging the way i should have been..... I still havent fully settled with the changes iv made to my swing......
When i came home i decided that i should contact the club managers and tell them that i have to pull out of the team that i couldnt commit to the trials over work and that because my game was a little sketchy i would be a liability to whoever i was paired with if i happened to make the team.......and that it wasnt fair to the others me missing the trials either........I thanked them for the opportunity and wished them all the best.....

The chap i played against in the matchplay who is a very well respected member and has achieved a lot of accolades through golf and who is off of 3 and who also beat me on the 16th was pretty impressed with my game the night we played...Much to my surprise he had told me that he had a word with the team captains and said i had a very tidy game and a very impressive short game......
Now this i wasnt expecting...I prefer to achieve things on my own merit but i was flattered with his opinion of me.....

So thinking that maybe my chance of playing for the club had gone for this year at least i get a phone call tonight after work from the captain of the team.....He said that they understand my situation with work and that they had a a problem in that there wasnt enough players for the team......

He told me that i would be an asset to the team with my putting and short game alone and that they would love to have me represent the club.....
Now im one of these people that would never see anyone stuck regardless of the situation but i dont want to be seen as someone that just turns up on the day and be seen as a bit of a plank either....

There is one more trial this weekend on sunday at the course that the inter club comp is being held and i told him that i would be there for it......
So i have a Medal on sunday morning teeing off at 9:45 at our own course and i then have to drive to the other course for 4:45 to play in this trial to see if they can pair me up with a player so that our games will compliment each other.........

I just hope that iv not bitten off more than i can chew.:mmm:

Last edited:

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have made one "team" night this season yet played in all matches so far. Work is work mate and far more important than golf.

I may only be playing for the Hallets and it may be a different level to you but same should really apply.

Go out there and enjoy it, your off 13 so your no mug ;)

Read your own sig from time to time
"The most important 6 inchs in the game of golf is between your ears"

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have made one "team" night this season yet played in all matches so far. Work is work mate and far more important than golf.

I may only be playing for the Hallets and it may be a different level to you but same should really apply.

Go out there and enjoy it, your off 13 so your no mug ;)

Read your own sig from time to time

:cheers:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
All seems very formal having "trials to be considered for the team. At my club the first question is" are you available?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
"So i have a Medal on sunday morning teeing off at 9:45 at our own course and i then have to drive to the other course for 4:45 to play in this trial to see if they can pair me up with a player so that our games will compliment each other........."

I continue to laugh at this one, as I have for 30 years of on and off league play!

There are benefits to having contrasting games, and benefits to having similar games - the important issue is whether you get on as individuals rather than the golf.

That said we do the same, and the most pleasing moment in the last 3 years was being asked to fill in the end of season league event (I'd said I would be available last minute) and being paired with someone I met for the first time on the 15th tee (shotgun start worst place to start on our course!).......we won the event over 70 odd regular league pairings!

Kid, just do your best and keep a sense of humour whatever happens - it's only a game.

Bucket92

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think you've hugely overthunk this! You've been picked for the team as the captain knows that you're a good player, so don't worry about it, just go along and play. I've only played two team matches so far but they've been two of the most fun rounds I've ever had. Good luck and enjoy.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pierce Purcell?

Don't sweat it too much, bogey golf is about good enough for that (assuming I am correct :rolleyes: ) as others have said and from what I read of your posts you seem to overthink/analyse everything. Relax and enjoy it.

Theres is also a free dinner afterwards ;)

T

thecraw

I think you and Bomber would be a brilliant partnership!

Just go for it and enjoy it!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mike when ya play a few of these comps you will wonder what all the fuss is about , you think you might not be good enough or playing well enough , you will be surprised , ok there is always the day youl get your rear end handed to you & some days youl do that to others .. believe your good enough & just go play

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Kid, just play, have fun and relax. Theyre a good laugh generally. Shame about the formal attire afterwards, but the golf and after round beer is fun :)

I'm playing a match against Mitcham this weekend and as I like the course im looking forward to it. we have 8 lots of pair going off so should be a good game.

Good luck

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the positive replies fellas.....
Chris and Bill..... It is the Peirce Purcell cup.... Both of ye are on the ball

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the positive replies fellas.....
Chris and Bill..... It is the Peirce Purcell cup.... Both of ye are on the ball

Ah ok, treat it as a round of golf with a mate. It is a serious competition (aren't they all) but remember you will hit some duff shots as will your partner don't worry about it and don't say sorry ;)