What's the level of competition like at your club.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
7 Cat 1 with 1 inactive
45 Cat 2 with 7 inactive
124 Cat 3 with 17 inactive
51 Cat 4 with 13 inactive.

This doesn't include the 40+ new members who have joined recently due to another course in the area closing.

Midweek comps have been known to be played between no more than 8 players - I won a Stableford Div 1 with 32 points because I was the only Div 1 player playing!
Weekends get a lot more (40+) and some Midweeks get 30 on occasions.......

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Dunbar's not on HDID, so I had a quick look at last years top 25 in the club championship Q

The top 25 are all CAT 1 golfers. Only 6 of that 25 play off 5 the rest are below that. One player off + 3, 2 players off +2 and 7 off scratch. Out of all who played that day 50 were cat 1 golfers.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play at Lamberhurst in Kent.

On the face of it, it looks straight forward, not too long and some straightforward looking holes. However, you never get a flat lie, it's quite undulating, it's tight in places, there are several dog leg holes which mean if you don't get your drive right your chance of par is gone, and there are only 3 par 3's, each quite lengthy.

thanks - know it very well and agree it's a difficult course to score well on despite the lack of apparent difficulty (length etc). the slopes are an element but there are plenty of other issues - not least are the number of holes you can't see the green off the tee (nearly all of them!!!) ie you are constantly hitting to an imaginary target off the tee, sometimes for length as well as line, which makes any course tough, and doubly so for occassional players. slick greens too - which can mean there are 'no go areas' to miss some of them.

I agree that handicaps are relatively strong there.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Cat 1 = 10
Cat 2 = 74
Cat 3 = 254
Cat 4 = 167
Maybe 20% inactive

Average handicap = 15

Typical Sunday Qualifier will have around 100 to 120 entries, winner will be 2 to 4 under handicap, more often than not CSS will be higher than SSS.

Guess that tells you that we're a Cat 3 club with not many improving golfers!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
not least are the number of holes you can't see the green off the tee (nearly all of them!!!) ie you are constantly hitting to an imaginary target off the tee, sometimes for length as well as line, which makes any course tough,

Never looked at our course in that context before, we have 10 holes you can't see the green from the tee.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never looked at our course in that context before, we have 10 holes you can't see the green from the tee.

but I beleive that your's is a tree lined course (like Drift)? This gives you a great choice of targets, as well as an indication of shape and where the green is etc

lamberhurst has a lot of holes that look wide open and it's not obvious where you are going - the reality is that your targets are actually quite tight, for a variety of reasons (inc slopes and blocked out approach shots). however, if you play sensible tee shots you find that the approach shots you face would all look a lot better with 4 clubs less in your hands!!!

Lanark_Golfer

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At Lanark where I am waiting to join this year, according to HDID has

Cat1 : 81
Cat2 : 231
Cat3 : 256
Cat4 : 72

It's a Par 70 with a SSS of 71, by the looks of the results on HDID it appears the CSS seems to go up regularly. I was initially think of this as having extra shots up my sleeve with a good chance of getting a better cut, but then thought, it must be going up for a reason, it's tough out there. :)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think the most bind tee shot I've played is the 13th at Brocton Hall. Loved the course and clubhouse.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have 63 category 1 players, with 2 plus players, 5 at scratch and 8 at 1.

Our SSS is now 73 with a par of 71, but CSSS is often 73 or 74 and the last medal it got to 75 !!!.
My opinion is that the tougher courses, certainly around here, attract the better players - don't know what I am doing there though:confused:

Not going to massage your ego Alan but you could be a few shots better off HC wise if you played at an open parkland course. Bogside is as tight and tough a track as you'll get.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not going to massage your ego Alan but you could be a few shots better off HC wise if you played at an open parkland course. Bogside is as tight and tough a track as you'll get.
Cheers Martin,
Have to agree that if I played somewhere else I probably would be lower, but I really enjoy the course despite its toughness. It stands you in good stead to play almost anywhere else.