What's the highest level you've competed at?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A post by SteveW86 in the "How good could you have been" thread got me thinking. What is the highest level that you have competed at and in what sport? Now I'm not expecting many to have been "a multiple national, European and world champion" as per Steve's post but how high have you got?

For me, I've played minor counties cricket (Norfolk) and also been in the Norfolk tennis age group squads as I was growing up.

EDIT - and have you played against anyone who has gone on to be famous in the sport?

I played against Michael Vaughan when he captained Yorkshire U15's at Cromer against Norfolk (and he scored one of the slowest and most boring hundreds I've ever witnessed). And played against Glenn Chapple when he was with Lancashire U19's.

Have also played football against Liam Botham.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25172

I didn't really compete at the level as such, but had a week trial for one of the teams in Sweden's equivalent of the Championship when I was 17. They put me as left back during the last day when we played 11 v 11. 3 assists and 1 goal. Thought I'd sorted myself a contract, but no. They said I could play with their U18s but I preferred to keep playing with my regular first team in the town I'm from. Turning 18, started going out, injuries here and there and suddenly I was just the average Joe again. Bummer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Saturday footy team I played for up until last season was in the East Berkshire League Division Three, which according to this Wiki article, is the 15th level of English football. So, yeah, it's probably that. Even that sounds more impressive than it felt. :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 15344

Cricket - was in a County academy until 17 , then played in the services

Hockey - National League and county plus services again , played against and alongside Olympic players as well as coached and umpired some

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cricket - was in a County academy until 17 , then played in the services

Hockey - National League and county plus services again , played against and alongside Olympic players as well as coached and umpired some

This bit inspired me to edit my original post to include any famous sportsmen you've played with or against.

D

Deleted member 21258

I played for a cubs football team, we almost won everything in the cubs leagues that year;) Did the normal and played in the schools football/hockey & athletics teams. Only ever played sports for fun and enjoyment tbh.

Did have a county trial for 800 metre running but wasn't fast enough and came last in the trails.:ROFLMAO:

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ran for Lancashire when I was younger.

Then at 17 I dropped a full beer barrel on my foot so was on crutches for quite a while and found beer and kebabs. Never looked back. Mmmmm beer & kebabs!!

Oh aye, swam for Wigan Wasps for a bit, but was never as good as my sis who did a few events for GB.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Best I suppose I got to was the level of a decent club cricketer. Decent bowler, ok bat. Best figures of 11.1-2-23-10 and 88 runs - not in the same game though.
Played with and against Phil Newport who played for Worcestershire and England.
Made the school badminton team and played with a ,then, current England squad player.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played rugby against Johnny Wilkinson when we were both 16 for school teams. He was pretty decent then too...

I have raced motorbikes at national level, against international race winners! The difference at that top 2% is a gulf!!

Wolf

Visit site
Played a couple of seasons at Charlton Atheletic Academy, in centre midfield along with a certain Scott Parker, but didn't take long to realise he was better and stronger than me at that age so that didn't pan out, then got offered a chance to go to Southampton academy, played a few games there and did well but quite simply I wasn't big enough or that interested after a while. Did play FA youth Cup against Michael Owen and got pounded by them he was so quick and just had the x factor.

Golf wise played in County league games as a junior along with some guys that are now really good club pro and one former tour player, if I hadn't become a dad at 19 and quite practising and give up the game think I could have made a decentish living as a club pro but never any better than that.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played county level hockey, cross country running and golf. Also played Midlands hockey and selected for England Squad training (junior level).

Fairly decent club/county level runner and started on the Ladies Elite at the London Marathon so warmed up with Joyce Chepchumba and ate her dust for about 200m!

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played a good standard of Surrey league cricket and was told by several coaches that I was good enough to play Test cricket. But I was too lazy! Played against Jade Dernbach, the Butchers, several Pakistani test cricketers (at the time when anyone was!). Rikki Clarke was a test cricketer who I played with at my club for a while. Interestingly the best cricketers I played against weren't those who made it; it was those who just played the game of the love of it. One claim to fame is that I could (can?) throw the cricket ball over 100m.

Obviously I would have made it as a footballer if I didn't have to 'retire' at U17 level through dodgy knees! :LOL:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played a good standard of Surrey league cricket and was told by several coaches that I was good enough to play Test cricket. But I was too lazy! Played against Jade Dernbach, the Butchers, several Pakistani test cricketers (at the time when anyone was!). Rikki Clarke was a test cricketer who I played with at my club for a while. Interestingly the best cricketers I played against weren't those who made it; it was those who just played the game of the love of it. One claim to fame is that I could (can?) throw the cricket ball over 100m.

Obviously I would have made it as a footballer if I didn't have to 'retire' at U17 level through dodgy knees! :LOL:

who did you play for as I had 5 years at Addiscombe?

D

Deleted member 16999

Played in School team with the Mark Seagraves (Liverpool, Bolton etc)
Played against Guy Whittingham and Maik Taylor while in the Army.
Also played Volleyball for Royal Engineers in Germany.