What Would You Do?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been Comp Sec for, well this is my second year. Captains day out, my doubles partner and good mate on my newly formed Comp committee, was asked by the previous Comp sec, who had been the job for years until it was decided that he wouldn't get his fees paid for the year, if he wanted him to "do the cards" as long as I didn't mind. Mr Captain said yes and was sure I wouldn't mind. I'm going on the day out too. This isn't the first time this bloke has done this. He nicked Captains Day and Captains Day out off me last year. But if I ask him if he wants to do the job, he laughs and says he's done with it! This has really hissed me off now and I've just dropped Presidents Day, must to my own disgust at myself, in favor of earning £80 elsewhere that evening. I'm going to stop there.
So, what would you do?

1. Suck it up can carry on as normal?
2. Have a quiet word with Mr Captain explaining how you feel?
3. Tell them all to go to very hot burning place?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Take a step back and think why you play golf. It's for fun. If something is stopping it being fun, ie golfing politics, then drop that aspect. Personally, if someone else wanted to give me a day off then I'd take it but it is getting under your skin so do something about it.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I'm not sure I am getting the story right ... it is a bit confusing ... too many characters. Let's pick it apart:
chara A, you, the current comp sec
chara B, your mate
chara C, the villain, the former comp sec
chara D, the Captain

Why would C ask B anything at all? Does B have any official function in this? And do you have any idea why C wants to do the cards? Is it because he thinks you incompetent? Or because he just loved that particular part of his comp sec job so much? I think that's the point you should talk about, preferrably with C himself. If that fails (and only then), you should talk to D and tell him that yes, by default you do mind, and would like to be asked before anything that should be your responsibility as comp sec is delegated elsewhere.

But anyway, I don't think you should just suck it up, because it is oviously bothering you. Be nice about it, but talk to the people involved in a quiet moment. Buy them a drink first.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no B

Me
Mr Captain (whos a good mate)
The Villan

Ooops I've re read op and I've missed out bits in my head, hence confusion.
But see above

Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why would C ask B anything at all?

I'm guessing 'C' (the old comp sec) is a control freak and doesn't want to really let go.

If it was me and I wanted to do the cards I'd just thank them for the offer of help but say I'd like to do it as its part of my role.

D

Deleted member 21258

If it was me and I wanted to do the cards I'd just thank them for the offer of help but say I'd like to do it as its part of my role.

Agreed 100%:thup:

Have to say I did laugh over The Villian comments, thought I was reading about a looney tunes cartoon:D but got to say life really is to short, think if I found myself getting annoyed over this kind of stuff I would not wish to continue with it the 'job' and I hate internal politics stuff myself, hence why I work on my own.:eek:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
When you say he "nicked" Captains Day and Day-Out off you....what do you mean? Is there some sort of kudos or recognition to be gained by processing the cards?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'd say to him, if you want to help in any way then please ask me directly as it's my role and my responsibility, if you have a problem with that, then tough, if you want the job back then feel free and fill yer boots....or in short, tell him to go forth and multiple :smirk:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just tell both of them that, while you appreciate the offer it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, so you'd prefer to do it yourself thanks!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Noooooo, it's just that it's comp secs job, and he wanted to do it, so I used the term "nicked".

In that case then as long as he's competent I wouldn't give two hoots about him doing it. If he ballses it all up just point the finger at the Captain....it was his decision after all.

I do agree however that it seems odd that he wants to volunteer to do some comps but when asked for help he doesn't want to know....sounds like he's brown nosing the Captain.

....and did I read it right that the Comp Sec gets his fees paid for the year??? Wow!!....Where do I join? How do I volunteer? :)

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
There is no B

Me
Mr Captain (whos a good mate)
The Villan

Ooops I've re read op and I've missed out bits in my head, hence confusion.
But see above

Ah, okay, that at least partly explains why C would ask him about this. Still, I think you should talk to C and ask him why he is so eager to do this part of what should be your job. I think it is a fair question to ask and if you are both civil about it, it might clear the air without any hard feelings. Since B turns out to be identical with Mr D, though, maybe it is easier for you to speak to the captain instead, since you seem to get along with him quite well.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
How would of said villan felt if somone had stepped on his toes when he was doing the job. None to chuffed me finks. Have a quite word in his ear, buy him half and politely ask him if he could run it past you in future. Why is he going to the captain. Next year it will be a differant captain. He may well point said villain to you anyway.
Trouble is, if he is a fossil, it might of been the way they did things when he started playing with his dunlops back in the day.