What Would You Do?

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You dont even have to be a member of our club to sign a card. If I was in a round with my girlfriend, who's a member of a different club, she would be able to sign my card.

I think sometimes we get a a little too precious about certain things!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played golf over the weekend with the wife and a mate at our new place. I was playing to make my H/C live again, and they were for their new H/C.
Did you register before you played. If not your card wouldn't count anyway. If so, you would have to register for the other rounds also.
This wouldn't apply those cards for initial handicap allocation.
But in any case it is simply cheating.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you register before you played. If not your card wouldn't count anyway. If so, you would have to register for the other rounds also.
This wouldn't apply those cards for initial handicap allocation.
But in any case it is simply cheating.

Nope. Although they (the Club) knew we were playing for H/C (as I'd told them). No one said anything about registering. In fact I've NEVER had to do this. What do you mean "register"? And I'm a little shocked at the fact that you would have to do something like this. No wonder people are put off golf. It actually make me feel a little sick that we've (technically) wasted playing a round. I do not think that this is going to apply where I am. Do you? I had a chat about this with the Pro at my last place, and he just said, "well it goes on" and was not surprised in the least. I think we all know it goes on. Yes, we're all compliant and would love to think others were the same, but in the real world, if things can be circumvented, they will be. My two playing partners will be given H/C's of 30+ and 40+ respectively. So really does it really matter THAT MUCH? They'll be restricted to H/C of 28 and 36 if they went to play in any opens ,so would have no chance of winning them of even a club comp. I really think that to say that they would be cheating is a little heavy. 30+ and 40+ and we're all a little worried? Pah!

But cheers rulefan. I'll be asking this weekend about "registering" before this Sundays game.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Nope. Although they (the Club) knew we were playing for H/C (as I'd told them). No one said anything about registering. In fact I've NEVER had to do this. What do you mean "register"? And I'm a little shocked at the fact that you would have to do something like this. No wonder people are put off golf. It actually make me feel a little sick that we've (technically) wasted playing a round. I do not think that this is going to apply where I am. Do you? I had a chat about this with the Pro at my last place, and he just said, "well it goes on" and was not surprised in the least. I think we all know it goes on. Yes, we're all compliant and would love to think others were the same, but in the real world, if things can be circumvented, they will be. My two playing partners will be given H/C's of 30+ and 40+ respectively. So really does it really matter THAT MUCH? They'll be restricted to H/C of 28 and 36 if they went to play in any opens ,so would have no chance of winning them of even a club comp. I really think that to say that they would be cheating is a little heavy. 30+ and 40+ and we're all a little worried? Pah!

But cheers rulefan. I'll be asking this weekend about "registering" before this Sundays game.

Anytime you put a card in for which a handicap will be calculated, adjusted or altered (my wording) you have to record your intent beforehand otherwise it's open to abuse. I might be wrong but didn't you act as a committee member at your last club, I'm suprised you weren't aware of this requirement

Wolf

Visit site
Anytime you put a card in for which a handicap will be calculated, adjusted or altered (my wording) you have to record your intent beforehand otherwise it's open to abuse. I might be wrong but didn't you act as a committee member at your last club, I'm suprised you weren't aware of this requirement

If that's true it makes the question of what would you do in the OP absolutely farcical as should know better than to even consider cheating the system

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why wouldn’t someone who is putting cards not be acceptable markers ? Surely if you are trusting them to join the club and uphold the values of golf you trust them to sign a card and keep count for a player

Is someone putting in cards untrustworthy then ?
It's not a case of new members not being 'trusted ' when they join the Club.... they simply pay their money & roll up & until an 'experienced' member plays with them who knows how much they are familiar with scoring a card let alone basic rules of golf. I'm sure many are ok but a rule has to be set to cover all eventualities.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nope. Although they (the Club) knew we were playing for H/C (as I'd told them). No one said anything about registering. In fact I've NEVER had to do this. What do you mean "register"? And I'm a little shocked at the fact that you would have to do something like this. No wonder people are put off golf. It actually make me feel a little sick that we've (technically) wasted playing a round.
For my tuppence worth, I find this almost as sad as the OP. Most people on here have already said that its a requirement to register the intent to submit a card before going out. Otherwise there is no audit trail and anyone can do what you were suggesting and make cards up. I stand to be corrected but isn't it laid down by CONGU as a requirement. I can't see how it'll put people off as they would already have paid to join a club in order to put the cards in to start with and will understand it's a requirement to getting a handicap and what is involved in the process. If you wasted a round (and feeling sick is such an OTT snowflake reaction) then you only have yourself to blame

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
For my tuppence worth, I find this almost as sad as the OP. Most people on here have already said that its a requirement to register the intent to submit a card before going out. Otherwise there is no audit trail and anyone can do what you were suggesting and make cards up. I stand to be corrected but isn't it laid down by CONGU as a requirement. I can't see how it'll put people off as they would already have paid to join a club in order to put the cards in to start with and will understand it's a requirement to getting a handicap and what is involved in the process. If you wasted a round (and feeling sick is such an OTT snowflake reaction) then you only have yourself to blame

To give the benefit of the doubt, I'm not sure many would make up a card but they might just decide on the quality of the card and how putting it in/or not will affect their handicap. If its logged as a h/c card then it will for sure be looked at by the handicap secretary and if not submitted a reason will surely be sought

D

Deleted member 15344

It's not a case of new members not being 'trusted ' when they join the Club.... they simply pay their money & roll up & until an 'experienced' member plays with them who knows how much they are familiar with scoring a card let alone basic rules of golf. I'm sure many are ok but a rule has to be set to cover all eventualities.

Sorry but what suggests that an “experienced” members knows the basics ? Seen plenty of “experienced” members fail to fill in the basic requirements of a card or simple understanding of rules

Golf is already full of barriers and rules we don’t need to continuously add more

Every single situation is judged on its own merits

If someone has a golf background or has played loads of pay and play rounds plus societies but finally joins a club - why can’t they fill and sign a card for someone or vice versa and if someone is brand new to the game then they will be getting lessons and asking for advice etc

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To give the benefit of the doubt, I'm not sure many would make up a card but they might just decide on the quality of the card and how putting it in/or not will affect their handicap. If its logged as a h/c card then it will for sure be looked at by the handicap secretary and if not submitted a reason will surely be sought
And as I said there has to be a clear audit trail. Sign up to put a card in and if you don't like it and don't put it in then as you say questions should be asked. The OP may not make up a card but I am sure it's been done (or considered) elsewhere. Does any of the handicap experts know if CONGU have guidelines a club and members should follow and is it a requirement to declare the intent to put a card in before playing

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You only have to “sign a book” or let someone who is in the right role that you are intending on putting in a card for Handicap Purposes. That way when someone is doing the card they check the book to ensure the round has actually been completed
Sorry, but in the context of this already confusing thread this post is even more confusing!
As I know you know, there's no requirement to register for, or sign a book, when playing a round for handicap allocation purposes.
On the other hand, when submitting supplemental scores, which are also for handicap purposes, there is a requirement - not because someone needs to check the round was completed but because if the card isn't returned the record will be created to show a NR and 0.1 increase.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry, but in the context of this already confusing thread this post is even more confusing!
As I know you know, there's no requirement to register for, or sign a book, when playing a round for handicap allocation purposes.
On the other hand, when submitting supplemental scores, which are also for handicap purposes, there is a requirement - not because someone needs to check the round was completed but because if the card isn't returned the record will be created to show a NR and 0.1 increase.
You’re right - got myself confused with supplementary cards

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry but what suggests that an “experienced” members knows the basics ? Seen plenty of “experienced” members fail to fill in the basic requirements of a card or simple understanding of rules

Golf is already full of barriers and rules we don’t need to continuously add more

Every single situation is judged on its own merits

If someone has a golf background or has played loads of pay and play rounds plus societies but finally joins a club - why can’t they fill and sign a card for someone or vice versa and if someone is brand new to the game then they will be getting lessons and asking for advice etc
Yeah they might be doing all of those things before getting around to submitting cards but you need a rule to cover all eventualities otherwise there's too many decisions to be made by someone as to whether they are ' responsible persons' We had 100 new members last year... only about 20 were H/ cap transfers & we insist on it being someone with a H/cap......can be non 'c' or from another Club. We have no problems with them getting 3 cards in & can speak to the marker regarding the new member. It also reinforces the fact that there is a rigor involved in being the holder of a golf h/ cap & that it"s not something you just make-up.
Our members pay £3 for 9 or 18 hole Supps or have to pay £3 to enter a Comp to get their 'c' h/cap back. It hasnt put folk off joining us.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah they might be doing all of those things before getting around to submitting cards but you need a rule to cover all eventualities otherwise there's too many decisions to be made by someone as to whether they are ' responsible persons' We had 100 new members last year... only about 20 were H/ cap transfers & we insist on it being someone with a H/cap......can be non 'c' or from another Club. We have no problems with them getting 3 cards in & can speak to the marker regarding the new member. It also reinforces the fact that there is a rigor involved in being the holder of a golf h/ cap & that it"s not something you just make-up.
Our members pay £3 for 9 or 18 hole Supps or have to pay £3 to enter a Comp to get their 'c' h/cap back. It hasnt put folk off joining us.

You charge someone to enter a supplementary card ?! Why ?

And you don’t “need” a rule at all - you do need to show “trust” in your members

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
chrisd said:
"Anytime you put a card in for which a handicap will be calculated, adjusted or altered (my wording) you have to record your intent beforehand otherwise it's open to abuse. I might be wrong but didn't you act as a committee member at your last club, I'm suprised you weren't aware of this requirement "

"If that's true it makes the question of what would you do in the OP absolutely farcical as should know better than to even consider cheating the system "

Sorry for above....Yes it's true. I was comp sec. That's it. Nothing to do with H/C's, although they tried to push this on me but I told them where to go. It's beyond my comprehension. As I think I've shown quite elequantly. LOL. I never got invited to any other committees. I had enough to sort out, and did a damn good job. (With calming help to stop my certain strong views). Anyway I digress.

"As I know you know, there's no requirement to register for, or sign a book, when playing a round for handicap allocation purposes "

So, we don't have to let anyone at the club before we go out that we are playing for H/C?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Duncan what about getting back you "C" Status, as you already have a handicap as such don't you have to put in comp scores/supplementary scores to get that, so have to go through that process??

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
From CONGU

GETTING STARTED

If you are a member of a club that is affiliated to one of the ‘home unions’ (ie, thegoverning body for golf in England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales), then you are eligible to have a CONGU® handicap. To get your first handicap you will need to complete 54 holes of golf (this may be any combination of 18-and 9-holes*) with your card markedby someone who understands the Rules of Golf. (Whoever is in charge of golf at your club –this may be the manager, the professional, the captain, a committee member or another member -will advise you who can mark your card and also tell you which tees you must play from.) Once your rounds are completed the handicap committee will consider the scores you have made and, taking into account any previous golfing experience you may have had as well as any other sporting achievements, will ‘allot’ you a handicap. Now, every time you play in a qualifying competition your handicap may go up or down

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Supplimentary Scores

"......You must check with your club manager or professional –or whoever runs ‘golf’ at your club -which tees you must play off. There will also be some form of ‘sign in’ before you go out to play to indicate your intention to play a supplementary score. You will need someone to mark and sign your card – just as in a competition. "

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
There seems to be nothing on the correct process on making a handicap "active" again. Of course I may be wrong. I tend to skim read things.