What Would You Do?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played golf over the weekend with the wife and a mate at our new place. I was playing to make my H/C live again, and they were for their new H/C. After we finished and signed up the cards as appropriate we went to hand them in. We were told to hang on to them and hand all three (each) of our card in together. Ok no prolem. But then someone suggested (no saying who), we make two others up and back date them, job done, "obviously not giving ourselves a 28 H/C when we're off 10. LOL......" Would you do this? I was up for it. Well, what does it matter for me? It just makes my H/C live again. I can't get any shots back, or can I? The other two were dead against it. They wanted their H/C to reflect exactly were they are at playing wise, which I get, but I know they'll be 28+ (mate) and possibly 40 for the wife.

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
Your handicap is a reflection of how you play. Making it up is silly as it’ll make you look like a bandit or conversely make medals particularly unfun. If the figure of the handicap doesn’t mean anything then no real point in having one

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I must admit that I am shocked that someone would even consider that. It is cheating. Plain and simple. It does not matter if your made up scorecards would reflect what you think is a fitting handicap for you or not. If we all played the golf we think we should be able to play, golf would be a much easier sport. What is the rush anyway? Like, why do you need an active handicap right away? If you haven't played in a while and your playing partners have not held a handicap yet, it is probably not a bad idea to play a few rounds before entering any comps. So just play your three cards each.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
D'ya know, I knew someone would just in with a comment like yours. I DO NOT CHEAT and neither does my wife or my mate. For me it's just making my H/C live. It wouldn't go up or down, as I understand it, no matter what cards I put in. And as I have already stated, neither my wife or my mate wanted to be party to such a suggestion.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course it's cheating. Handicap is based on three cards, not one. Why not go the whole way and make up all three of the cards and get the handicap you want? :LOL:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't know enough about handicaps and how re-activate one, but surely if you submit 3 cards that (potentially) are better than your 10h/c, then that would be reflected?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm definitely no handicap expert, but I thought you wouldn't go up by submitting high cards but you can be cut despite having an inactive card.

By submitting false cards, you remove the chance of a cut (although I accept this could be very remote if your ability has dropped) but it also allows you to enter a competition you potentially couldn't have if you played by the rules like others may have.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very sad imo that anyone would even consider doing this. As others have said it is wrong on a number of levels. These card reflect your playing ability on the day of submission and if you play well on a day you submit the card that will be reflected in the handicap given. Anything else is cheating everyone else that enters the same competitions as you. At my club you have to enter your name in the supplemental score section of PSI to indicate you are intending to put a card in on that day. If it isn't on PSI then our handicap secretary won't take it. It also allows retrospective and totally fabricated cards to go in

D

Deleted member 15344

D'ya know, I knew someone would just in with a comment like yours. I DO NOT CHEAT and neither does my wife or my mate. For me it's just making my H/C live. It wouldn't go up or down, as I understand it, no matter what cards I put in. And as I have already stated, neither my wife or my mate wanted to be party to such a suggestion.

To make up a score is cheating , and yes you can go up and down when making your handicap active again

How can you say you weren’t party to it but yet were up for doing it

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's a difference between 'being up for doing it' and actually doing it.

I can see the temptation, and it's probably good you didnt do it. In all likelyhood it wouldnt have made any difference, but you never know.

I'm more surprised someone openly suggested it as an option.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've no doubt it's happened in the past and will happen again but it's clearly in breach of quite a few rules,as with all things in sport,if you're not following the rules you're cheating either someone else or yourself in this case it would be both if you went there...