What would be your fifteenth club?

Diamond

Visit site

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably a second fairway wood, probably a 5. I carry a 3 wood then move down to hybrids. There is a gap there that could do with filling but I do not have the room as I carry a lot of wedges.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love the idea of this. As a newcomer to golf I assume if your ball is rammed up against a tree with no access with right handed stance you have to play it. A left handed club is ideal to just punt a ball onto the fairway.
I used to carry one when I was learning .
Soon found out it costs you more than you gain ,so just take an unplayable lie it’s easier.
But if you can use one it’s a good club to have.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I'm going to be honest. I enjoy golf, but I play golf for social and recreational reasons.
While my friends and I may play for the bar tab, competition is hardly the primary factor.

I played baseball and boxed as a kid and those were competitive. I certainly don't need anything like that as a retired senior.
When I ask about a fifteenth club, it was mostly for fun, but to be honest, I really enjoy golf the most playing with all of my clubs.
I leave one home in compliance with arbitrary rules, and I invariably come to a place in my round where I could have used that club.

You hardy Brits play more walking rounds than we do, and so you may be less familiar with cart bags (although they work well on trolleys too).
But many American carts bags have fifteen dividers, and I think that's the right number.

bag format.png

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Since you mention it, I have always wondered why the make bags with 15 dividers. Usually they have a separate 'putter well' but surely the vast majority are only going to be carrying 14 clubs? Is it one slot for your golf ball extendable lake grabber thing??

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Since you mention it, I have always wondered why the make bags with 15 dividers. Usually they have a separate 'putter well' but surely the vast majority are only going to be carrying 14 clubs? Is it one slot for your golf ball extendable lake grabber thing??

Some people use it for that, I suppose, but those things often have a bicycle type handle that's too thick to fit. If you have a big putter grip and have to use the putter well, those ball-retrievers might not fit in a regular slot.

To me, the R&A / USGA just blew it choosing fourteen as their arbitrary number. I like fifteen, and one could make an argument for more.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm going to be honest. I enjoy golf, but I play golf for social and recreational reasons.
While my friends and I may play for the bar tab, competition is hardly the primary factor.

I played baseball and boxed as a kid and those were competitive. I certainly don't need anything like that as a retired senior.
When I ask about a fifteenth club, it was mostly for fun, but to be honest, I really enjoy golf the most playing with all of my clubs.
I leave one home in compliance with arbitrary rules, and I invariably come to a place in my round where I could have used that club.

You hardy Brits play more walking rounds than we do, and so you may be less familiar with cart bags (although they work well on trolleys too).
But many American carts bags have fifteen dividers, and I think that's the right number.

View attachment 28961
most of the Americans i've played with or caddied for have a lose understanding of the rules anyway so wouldn't sup if most had 15 clubs anyway:ROFLMAO:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

View attachment 28961
Isn’t one for those massively oversize cigars you guys seem to smoke.?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carry 13 anyway .. don't think I need any more, it's too confusing and how many times do you actually select the right club ?
Crazy question I know but be brutally honest with yourself and answer it ... are their clubs in your bag having a free ride ?
Are they just there for vanity reasons ? (like my driver :eek::rolleyes:)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carry 13 anyway .. don't think I need any more, it's too confusing and how many times do you actually select the right club ?
Crazy question I know but be brutally honest with yourself and answer it ... are their clubs in your bag having a free ride ?
Are they just there for vanity reasons ? (like my driver :eek::rolleyes:)
I think a lot depends where you play!
A short easy course you may need 9/10 but if you play somewhere like Wallasey/ Birkdale I assure you you need 14!
My course is 6500yds not long by modern standards but it’s very tricky around the greens so I carry four wedges.
46/50/56/60 most days I use them all.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think a lot depends where you play!
A short easy course you may need 9/10 but if you play somewhere like Wallasey/ Birkdale I assure you you need 14!
My course is 6500yds not long by modern standards but it’s very tricky around the greens so I carry four wedges.
46/50/56/60 most days I use them all.
46 should be your std pw, 50 is a gap, 56 a sw and 60 is a flopper ( but 56 can be opened easily enough) .. Do you carry a full compliment of woods ? I only need 2, driver & 5w, where ever I go. Then everything is 10y steps down from 200, if that makes sense. But I do know my yardages for 3/4 power on 7iron to 60 degree. 70y or less is more feel and depends on carry required

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
46 should be your std pw, 50 is a gap, 56 a sw and 60 is a flopper ( but 56 can be opened easily enough) .. Do you carry a full compliment of woods ? I only need 2, driver & 5w, where ever I go. Then everything is 10y steps down from 200, if that makes sense. But I do know my yardages for 3/4 power on 7iron to 60 degree. 70y or less is more feel and depends on carry required
Driver
3 wood
5wood
DI
5/pw
Putter
50/56/60.
We have some very steep slopes at green side and some big faced bunkers.
Course has a premium on short game to score.
Driving is not a prob.
But if you miss the green you are in trouble.
I use clock system to hit most yardages but up/ down hill shots can call for more less club.
The 60 does cause me probs sometimes and thinking of going 54/58 to gap better.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
If I have to go with fourteen, I do a couple of things.

First, I change bags so that I don't have an extra slot giving me a start that I left a club out on the course.

Second, I change my set composition a little bit. I do have extra clubs that give me options.

This illustration that I used in the cart bag thread shows my fourteen club set, and that's basically become my regular setup since you people conspired to afflict me with a conscience.

Modern extra strong lofts have also played a part in configuration changes.

Back to point, what I'd LIKE to add to this set is a specialty "sand only" club that I wouldn't hit from grass due to the extremely curved leading edge.

If my sand game goes truly pear-shaped, I have to change the fairway woods to cover a similar range in three rather than four clubs.

bag format.png

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I have a half set of the Callway X2 Hot and there is a 5 hybrid in there which I can hit up to170 yards on a good day on winter fairways (when i dont shank it, top it etc).
Is this Super Hybrid instead of the 3W or is it just a marketing gimic?

The "Super Hybrids" are new clubs that sell for over three hundred bucks each. They claim to fly the ball the same distance as a full-length fairway wood of the same loft.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If I have to go with fourteen, I do a couple of things.

First, I change bags so that I don't have an extra slot giving me a start that I left a club out on the course.

Second, I change my set composition a little bit. I do have extra clubs that give me options.

This illustration that I used in the cart bag thread shows my fourteen club set, and that's basically become my regular setup since you people conspired to afflict me with a conscience.

Modern extra strong lofts have also played a part in configuration changes.

Back to point, what I'd LIKE to add to this set is a specialty "sand only" club that I wouldn't hit from grass due to the extremely curved leading edge.

If my sand game goes truly pear-shaped, I have to change the fairway woods to cover a similar range in three rather than four clubs.

View attachment 28978

I'm feeling quite smug this morning cos i've just 'decoded' your numbering system (I admit it had me baffled for a bit)