What would be your fifteenth club?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just seen your videos Gary. Playing as leftie isn't as easy as some people think. We're at a constant disadvantage. Even worse when you are 100% right handed :unsure:

I played snooker left handed as that's how I was taught by a leftie. Feels completely natural to me.

When I look at a left handed golf club my head wants to explode. Looks weird.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I already have it in my 13 but kinda like the LH club idea, I carry an extra club for a specific use

The courses round here have lots of opportunity for a rough lie if you go off the fairway/firstcut so i carry what I call my 'rock club' and use it whenever i have a lie of rough ground, stones, rocks, gravel etc etc that i don't get relief from, so rather than get serious scrapes and dings on my regular clubs this thing gets used just to get me back in play. It has so many war wounds but keeps doing the job

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I played snooker left handed as that's how I was taught by a leftie. Feels completely natural to me.

When I look at a left handed golf club my head wants to explode. Looks weird.
Like you I am "confused". Hold a cue for pool/snooker left handed and throw a dart left handed but was a right handed batsman and play golf right handed. Even though I write left handed so arguably left side dominant I doubt I could swing left handed (some say I struggle right handed!) and when looking at lefties at the club it does just seem wrong somehow

D

Deleted member 21258

A high launch driver(a big headed driver turned probably upto 14 degrees).

Would be nice to have the choice off the tee, depending on wind conditions on a hole. Also would give me another choice if hitting driver poorly on the day, nice to revert to a more forgiving higher flight.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
If I could play fifteen clubs---

and I should be able to since my cart bag holds fifteen clubs---

I would replace my 20º fairway wood with an 18 and a 22.

What would your 15th club be?

Genuinely wouldn't carry another club. I have 13 in the bag at the moment, with a gap for a 4 iron or 23 deg hybrid. If I'm on that distance of 180 to 190 I either hit an easy 3 hybrid or lay up safely. Genuinely believe this has helped me score as I'm not taking a green on at 190 yards (and missing the green and often ending up in trouble).

If there is trouble round the green, lay up and have confidence that you can get down in no more than 3 from short of the green.

If there's room to miss, then take it on with an easy 3 hybrid, playing a much more controlled swing.

Plan this year to try and dial in distances from 60 to 100 yards.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I love the idea of this. As a newcomer to golf I assume if your ball is rammed up against a tree with no access with right handed stance you have to play it. A left handed club is ideal to just punt a ball onto the fairway.
you don't have to play it you can take a penalty drop, which most of the time would be far better than some hero shot;)

Diamond

Visit site
Even if you get it forward 5 yards with the lefty that's better than a drop where you'd have to go back - in my book.

There is a Bronty Mark 2 left hand chipper on ebay for £15 delivered. I am wondering if worth making that my 13th club in my bag...For an absolute novice putting technique to chip out left handed would be an easy way to scoot it out 5-10 yards.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a Bronty Mark 2 left hand chipper on ebay for £15 delivered. I am wondering if worth making that my 13th club in my bag...For an absolute novice putting technique to chip out left handed would be an easy way to scoot it out 5-10 yards.
That's honestly not a bad idea.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Even if you get it forward 5 yards with the lefty that's better than a drop where you'd have to go back - in my book.
you don't have to go back though, two clubs length no nearer the hole, or go back on the line of the flag, way better that hacking sideways with a left handed club, where you might not..
Take your medicine is usually far better IMO

Diamond

Visit site
I have three extra clubs, so rotate things based on course, weather etc. ( plus I am a sucker for buying new shineys)

Driver
3 wood
5 wood
Super hybrid
Hybrid
2 iron
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PW, AW
putter
What is a super hybrid? I have a 5 hybrid which I assume is instead of a 5 iron...

Diamond

Visit site
you don't have to go back though, two clubs length no nearer the hole, or go back on the line of the flag, way better that hacking sideways with a left handed club, where you might not..
What about a gentle left handed putting stroke with a chipper, easier shot and less risk do you think?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, but if there are no good dropping options but a chance of advancing it forward with a left-handed punt, it wouldn't be bad to have that option would it? I never said 'sideways' I was thinking of a scenario where you're right up against a tree and have no swing right-handed, but enough room that left-handed you could execute some kind of chip forwards.

sunshine

Visit site
Interesting concept, but in my case the end result would be having one driver that fades, and one drives that massively slices it. :ROFLMAO:

You and me.

When I was swinging well I tried this by having driver set to draw and 3 wood to fade. The logic was that if I ever really needed to hit a fade off the tee I could use the 3 wood, and it's also easier to hit a 3 wood off the deck with a slightly open face. Stops working when your swing goes to pot... :LOL: