What would be the one rule of golf that you would change???

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
For me it would have to be the rule that forbids the repairing of spike-marks on the green. (16-1 part c)

I think that this rule, particularly on a heavily used course is a little bit daft as putting is difficult enough on a lush green let alone one after 50 fourballs have been out.

I think that allowing the repair of spike-marks on the line of the putt would make the game better.

What are your oppinions on this topic?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think the no swinging on the first teebox is silly, I know its a local rule but its just plain daft. I cant thik of anyone who adheres to it as the first hole is usually the coldest part of the course for some and a practice swing loosens the cobwebs.

DCB

Visit site
Ah Brendy, is that not to stop you hitting the pro shop on the backswing or knocking a divot out onto the Broadway ?

Since the first tee is what everyone sees I'm all for protecting it from the divot gouging brigade who can't swing a club without making contact with terra firma !

A few discreet practice swings off to the side are all theta needed really.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The one rule I would change is when you land in a bunker that is full of water and have to take relief outside the hazard you get a 1 shot penalty.
Should be free relief and marked as GUR.

DCB

Visit site
mwj

Spike marks on the green and divots on the fairway, both can make the game so unfair/hard at times. Ok I accept that you have to take your punishment if you put the ball in the boonies, but, a good drive straight down the middle can be punished by landing in a crater created by someone in the group ahead. A good shot to the green with a birdie putt oportunity can be wasted by a big twisted set of spike marks, all because someone can't or wont lift their feet.

Still it's only a game isn't it?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ah Brendy, is that not to stop you hitting the pro shop on the backswing or knocking a divot out onto the Broadway ?

Since the first tee is what everyone sees I'm all for protecting it from the divot gouging brigade who can't swing a club without making contact with terra firma !

A few discreet practice swings off to the side are all theta needed really.
DCB haha yea that could be a problem if someone walks out of the shop not looking!
I put one onto broadway on saturday after a 3 week layoff :D didnt hit anyone/thing though.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Although we have been here before, (no offense MWJ), this is another chance for me to get on my soap box. Why do I have to go back to the tee to play 3 off, when all my playing partners saw my ball run off the fairway 2 ft and I have lost it. This is fine for the pros, but in my monthly medal, this is stupid, let me take a drop, and just get on with it. Going back to the tee is daft for us amateurs.

DCB

Visit site
Some of the newer courses I'v played in recent times actually ask that you play a provisional because the rough is likely to eat up balls. Is it because they don't want to keep the rough in check or are they using lots of fertiliser etc as the course is still bedding in? Anyway, always better to hit a provisional just in case.

The_Squire

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree with the idea to abolish the spike mark rule, it's really daft as you are encouraged to repair spike marks after you finish the hole. I think it's good that the 'hole in one' prize rule for amateurs has been changed so that you can now recieve a monetary prize and not lose amateur status.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Mog , why not just play a provisional? Apologies if this seems an over simplistic question but I cannot see what the problem is. If you know it's toast why waste your time walking 200-odd yards to confirm it, you can do that as you walk past with your provisional and theres always a chance you might find the find the original. The provisional remains just that until such time as you declare the first ball lost.

The only exceptions to this rule seem largely to revolve around water hazzards but you don't mention one.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again, this is a repeat from an earlier post (apologies to those who have seen it).

The rule I'd change is the time permitted to look for lost balls. I'd make it a maximum of 5 minutes on any one hole for all players whether single, two-ball or four-ball, and a maximum of 20 minutes in any round.
That way if any or all players lose a ball only 5 minutes can be spent collectively looking for them, not 5 minutes for one, then 5 for the next etc.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The one rule I would change is when you land in a bunker that is full of water and have to take relief outside the hazard you get a 1 shot penalty.
Should be free relief and marked as GUR.

Not sure that I can agree with you on this one. (Even though bunker play is the weakest part of my game!) As I see it a hazard is a hazard, be it sand or water. Also consider an unplayable lie outside a hazard. You shouldn't be there!

In all cases you have the usual options -play the ball as it lies or take a drop under penalty. At least if you are in casual water in a bunker you have the chance of a free drop (as in casual water anywhere on the course) but in the bunker subject to the usual criteria of no nearer the hole and taking full relief from the condition. If that is not possible and you have to drop outside, why on earth should it then suddenly become a free drop from a hazard?

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having said that, I think that you should be able to move your ball from a divot, a replaced divot or one recently refilled with sand as in normal winter rules. Not only is completely unfair not to allow this but protection of the course should be paramount.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got online late MWJ and responded to this thread in the spirit it was started - just hadn't got round first to the viewing other thread. In the words of the classic song - Allways look on the bright side of life, di dah, di dah di dah di dah....... Think I want that one at my funeral

The number of posting is such that even more established members such as yourself don't remember all the previous subjects, or as in this case put a slightly different aspect on one. What chance do us newer members stand? Surely we can't all be expected to search all previous postings before starting a new thread.

Although the permutation of experiences and views from so many different people is almost endless there must be a finite number of subjects that arise and inevitably repeats will occur albeit with (hopefully) different slants. This is where newcomers can add value to the site with fresh views and opinions.

At last I can post this. The Zinfandel is empty, Oscar Peterson has finish and I'm off.

Regards

The old git

DCB

Visit site
A cultured forum member.

"The Zinfandel is empty, Oscar Peterson has finish" What a way to spend a friday night, a good wine and some good jazz.

T

thecraw

Again,

Divot rule for me, why do I have to play out of a divot just because some chunt cant be arsed replacing it or a big fat crow has removed it looking for a tasty worm for his breakfast. Totally stupid rule when you consider the fact that you get relief from a sanded divot which is 9/10 a better lie than a divot hole..

CRAZY