What would be the one rule of golf that you would change???

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think it's a tad harsh to moan at MWJ for raising a topic again.

Besides, when did life become so dull you could only ask a question once? Isn't this what clubhouse banter is all about?

'Right lads, if you could have any woman's face, boobs and legs and put them together, whose would you pick?'

'No, we've already talked about this two weeks ago. New topic please'.

Come on!

Anyway, as far as rules go, being made to drop in a bunker. Stupid rule and like being taxed on your savings, it's a double penalty.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Billyg, I have lost balls that were inches off the fairway before now, so, I would have thought (over optimistically, obviously) that I would find it. Also, If I play provisional every time I am not on the fairway, (and with the number of ball pinching crows we have at the moment, on the fairway too, because if you don't see them steal it, then you have to call it lost) then I will waste even more time hitting, then picking up my provisionals.
If your partners agree where it was (obviously if it is hit into deep bundu then a pro should have been played) then why not take a drop under penalty to speed things up?

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If your partners agree where it was (obviously if it is hit into deep bundu then a pro should have been played) then why not take a drop under penalty to speed things up?

Well , i'm still digesting the rules to be honest and i'm sure one of the more experienced players here will correct me if wrong but the simple answer appears to be...

it's a stoke AND distance penalty. If you just drop a ball at the point where you think the ball went OOB or rough etc then you have complied with the stroke penalty but have GAINED distance.

Im not saying I haven't done it myself when ive been convined that the little bleeder has just toddled off the short stuff but how often do we find ourselves standing there cursing over the fact we cant find a bright white ball in some dark green grass

I also agree that it is time consuming if you hit your provisional the other side of the fairway to the lost ball but thats only when you set it against taking a drop from the lost ball(which is not allowed). When you set it against going back to the tee it's a time SAVER.

Just my 2 penneth worth and will probably find what ive said is complete garbage

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's not garbage, it's a valid opinion. I just think for amateur golf it is daft to make people faff about with going back to the tee on those occasions when you really didn't think you would have to. You wouldn't gain a great advantage, as you would still be dropping in the rough, which was of sufficient length to get your ball lost in in the first place. Any thing to speed up play really, it is slow enough in medals already.

This rule is ok for the pros, because they have ball spotters, and hence seldom loose balls unless they are really wild. We don't.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's not garbage, it's a valid opinion. I just think for amateur golf it is daft to make people faff about with going back to the tee on those occasions when you really didn't think you would have to. You wouldn't gain a great advantage, as you would still be dropping in the rough, which was of sufficient length to get your ball lost in in the first place. Any thing to speed up play really, it is slow enough in medals already.

This rule is ok for the pros, because they have ball spotters, and hence seldom loose balls unless they are really wild. We don't.

I suppose the acid test for me would be:- would I feel like I had cheated if I handed in a card towards my H/C having not applied this rule correctly?and risking being a kind of reverse bandit.
If it's just a laid-back round and you're way off the pace when it happens anyway then it's not so important I guess.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The rule I would change is one I thought had changed for 2008 but apparantly it has not.

Free relief from plugged ball anywhere on the course apart from in hazard. At the moment relies on local rules to get relief from plugged ball in the rough.