Be careful what you use as a ball marker on the green

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
and how you use it

New rules update

2. When Use of Alignment Device Results in Breach
If a player places an “alignment device” (see Definition in Equipment Rules to see when a ball-marker meets this Definition) to show the line of play and then orients his or her ball based on the direction of that alignment device, the player is in breach of Rule 4.3a.
For example, a player’s ball comes to rest on the putting green and the player marks the spot of his or her ball with an “alignment device.” When doing so, the alignment device is placed to show the line of play. If the player then lifts and replaces his or her ball (which includes rotating it) so that a marking on the ball is lined up with the alignment device, the player is in breach of Rule 4.3a. (Added 1/2020)

I was looking for the thread about such a device but could not find it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So if I use that 25 quid Trident thingy, that I didnt buy, then I'm breaking the rules..?
So something like a triple-track ball marker would too.?
Interesting

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
PART 6 – DEVICES AND OTHER EQUIPMENT
The following paragraphs prescribe general regulations for the design
of devices and other equipment, together with specifications and interpretations. They should be read in conjunction with Rule 6.2 (Teeing) and Rule 4.3 (Use of Equipment) of The Rules of Golf.

7. Definition of Alignment Device and Treatment of Ball-Markers (Rule 4.3)
The following criteria are used to determine when an object manufactured to mark the spot of a ball is an alignment device. Features include, but are not limited to:
  • The object incorporates features designed to measure, gauge or interpret slope, green speed or other conditions, or includes optical or electronic components or,
  • The vertical height of the object, in any configuration, is greater than 1.0” or,
  • The maximum dimension in any horizontal direction exceeds 2.0” and incorporates any of the features noted below (or similar features):
o the object incorporates painted, etched or inscribed line(s) or similar features greater than or equal to 2.0” in length (“line” includes any line, arrow or other straight marking that could be solid or broken, but has a defined start, a defined end and whose length can be measured),
o the object has an appendage(s) or an extended feature(s) greater than 2.0” in length or that extends a feature of the object to a length greater than 2.0”.
Note 1: An object is an alignment device if it exceeds the dimensional specifications listed above and advertising, marketing or intellectual property descriptions or claims related to the object indicates that it is primarily for the purpose of showing the line of play.
Note 2: An object is an alignment device if it is modified in any manner that would satisfy any of the above provisions.

Is the Trident marker that big?

sunshine

Visit site
I’ve personally never seen a marker over 2 inches.
Sort of defeats the object if you are marking your ball with an object bigger than a ball :oops:

Quite. Tell that to all the fans of poker chip ball markers :ROFLMAO:

*Whisper it quietly because I remember Golf Monthly issued a free poker chip ball marker with the magazine.*

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
mea culpa for not reading the definition and just assuming it had been brought in to cover the item I could not remember the name of.

I wonder if those providing the new guidance forgot to do so as well.