What to do when someone cheats?

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I recently played in a club competition when the bloke I was playing with carved his ball into a wooded area. We looked for a couple of minutes when he claimed that he'd found it. "Titleist 4" he said. The number was right but the ball he found was clearly older than the one he started the hole with.

I bottled it and didn't say anything.... but what the hell do you do in this situation???

This has happened to me a couple of times.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
its a tough one - we all hate cheats but it is difficult to confront them as golf has the emphasis on honesty and calling the penalty on yourself not others refereeing the situation becuase we all know what a furore there was this year when Monty was accused of 'cheating' with third parties dipping their oar

I'd suggest a a quiet word with your sec or comp organiser

in future you can always head off the problem by making evryone mark thier balls at the beging of the round that way one can't pass off a 'titleist 4' as the same one as you hit unless it really is

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've seen so many people break the rules, often through ignorance as much as anything else but they're never too happy if you point out their indiscretion. I've mentioned infringements a few times but people end up joking that they won't play with me any more if I keep giving them penalty strokes. At least, I *think* they're joking!

It seems that the image of golf as a game where cheating is the ultimate shame is long gone for many people. The most common offences I've witnessed are:
  • Dropping a ball in the wrong place
  • Placing a ball that should be dropped
  • Touching the sand in a bunker with the clubhead while addressing the ball
  • Giving advice to other players
and so on. Not that I'm an expert on rules by any means but some of these are so obvious that anyone who doesn't know them shouldn't be on the course!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I hate cheats in golf-honesty is what separates our great game from so many others. I think many golfers play to challenge themselves as well as competing with others and so cheating does not enter their mind. Cheats should be band but I suppose it’s tricky if they plead naivety

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I often see players treading down the long grass that surrounds their ball in the rough. I that's called 'buiding a stance' and it's against the rules.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dropping the ball in the wrong place is a common one. If you go into the bushes the options are: two club lengths, anywhere back on a line with the pin or go back and re-play the shot. Too many people just drop it somewhere out to the side and think they've taken their punishment.

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
If the players we are with are ignorant of the game that's one thing, but cheating, that is not acceptable.

The best thing to do is never to play with that person again, then have a chat with the handicap secretary, obviously you cannot prove your case but if it happens again with someone else then the committee can take action.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If ever I've come across someone cheating - or innocently breaking the rules – I've found the best way to approach it is in a lighthearted way. With regard to chipin1's original problem, you could lightheartedly say, "That ball's seen better days Mick" (Only if his name's Mick.) It might just prick their conscience.