What To Do About Slow Play

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But if attitudes don't change then the pace of play around those 12/14/18 holes will be the same, the same problems will occur and instead of a short round taking 1 1/2 hours it will take 2 1/4.....so no real change except you're on the course for less overall time...

But being on the course for less overall time is surely the core of many people beef. 'Pace' of play is used with the assumption that it is for 18 holes, rather than that pace itself is the problem. So fewer holes would possibly suit many. This seems to be the conclusion of the R&A and their pushing of 9 hole competitions.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would be gone at the end of the first year on any course that took this long to play 9 holes (OP's first post). They don't want to address slow play through fear of loosing more members, where the slow play itself could be the cause of loosing members.

This question has been done to death over the years. In my experience there are 2 types of slow players. One that lets you and everyone else through (I have less of a problem with this group) and the one that does not and backs up the entire course. They will never self police and no amount of advice/encouragement will change or fix the problem. Force is the only way. This has been employed (through committees/pro shop/marshal's etc) with success in other places. Other than force/authority I have not seen anything else work.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
But being on the course for less overall time is surely the core of many people beef. 'Pace' of play is used with the assumption that it is for 18 holes, rather than that pace itself is the problem. So fewer holes would possibly suit many. This seems to be the conclusion of the R&A and their pushing of 9 hole competitions.

But that 9 holes is taking over 2 hours instead of 90 minutes because the same attitude that lurks for 18 holes is still there for 9.
Yes, overall you're spending less time on the course but if people didn't faff around and actually got on with it you can play 18 without taking too much longer.
Time on the course is a factor, no doubt. But the option to just play 9 has always been there unless the course is a true "out and back" course like the Old Course.
There's little difference between playing 9 and waiting on every shot and playing 18 and waiting on every shot...except you're on course for an hour or 2 less...it's still taken longer than it should

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In a 3 ball comp make sure that all groups go out as 3 balls? So if a member of a 3ball drops out then someone from the next group or another player with a later time joins them to make up the 3.

And where there is a gap on the tee - the next group to play does not wait until their time - but takes up the empty slot. Would mean that for comps groups should be on the tee and ready to play 15mins before their tee time.

Point of this is that problems are caused by two balls in the midst of three balls. The two ball is fast and and presses three balls in front and has to be let through - slows things up. And as they are a two ball they are reluctant to let a following three ball through - slows things up.

Last edited:

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played in a field of 76 for a society day on Friday. 4 ball. And it took just about 5 hours. we were not really held up by people in front. We did not spend endless amounts of time looking for lost balls. and we did not hang about and smell the roses so to speak, we had a good pace between shots. We did not go to the hallway hut etc. it did not feel slow either. my PPs did not seem to have elaborate routines either.

Just a few observations -

Ready golf, whether on the tee, second shot or green is vital to speed up play
Range finders, course maps, hazard distances etc were more often than not discussed on every tee between the three better players. it was maybe 2 minutes, but add that up etc.
Also, the better player in our team hit it the longest and often went first, meaning he had to wait for the group to be out of range. again ready golf would help
As we were playing stableford, best two scores etc, the majority of the time we were all holing out, or at least 3 of us were, so perhaps there is an argument about gimmies in comps?
Directions to next tee signage needs to be much better
The rough was bad in places, but if you hit it there, you were so far off the fairway then quite frankly you deserve the penalty. But if you went a little of line you could find your ball

Whilst I agree that clubs should not make the course too easy there must be a case for pin positions. We had a par 3, about 130, to an island green. there was only one bail out area and the pin was so close to the water, a far distance from the bail out area, so people went for the pin. we heard stories that many teams lost 3 or 4 balls into the water. NOW I am NOT saying golf needs to be easier, and perhaps people need to get better/have better course management. But a little bit of forward thinking on the greens/pin positions will help the pace of play given the size of the field.

If all these changes were made, could we have shaved say 30 minutes off the round? possibly. But we had a great day, enjoyed each others company, played some good golf and some sh*te golf.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I played in a field of 76 for a society day on Friday. 4 ball. And it took just about 5 hours. we were not really held up by people in front. We did not spend endless amounts of time looking for lost balls. and we did not hang about and smell the roses so to speak, we had a good pace between shots. We did not go to the hallway hut etc. it did not feel slow either. my PPs did not seem to have elaborate routines either.

Just a few observations -

Ready golf, whether on the tee, second shot or green is vital to speed up play
Range finders, course maps, hazard distances etc were more often than not discussed on every tee between the three better players. it was maybe 2 minutes, but add that up etc.
Also, the better player in our team hit it the longest and often went first, meaning he had to wait for the group to be out of range. again ready golf would help
As we were playing stableford, best two scores etc, the majority of the time we were all holing out, or at least 3 of us were, so perhaps there is an argument about gimmies in comps?
Directions to next tee signage needs to be much better
The rough was bad in places, but if you hit it there, you were so far off the fairway then quite frankly you deserve the penalty. But if you went a little of line you could find your ball

Whilst I agree that clubs should not make the course too easy there must be a case for pin positions. We had a par 3, about 130, to an island green. there was only one bail out area and the pin was so close to the water, a far distance from the bail out area, so people went for the pin. we heard stories that many teams lost 3 or 4 balls into the water. NOW I am NOT saying golf needs to be easier, and perhaps people need to get better/have better course management. But a little bit of forward thinking on the greens/pin positions will help the pace of play given the size of the field.

If all these changes were made, could we have shaved say 30 minutes off the round? possibly. But we had a great day, enjoyed each others company, played some good golf and some sh*te golf.

5 hours is a long time to be out on the course though. Admittedly some course take longer. For instance Castle Stuart and Spey Valley takes a good half hour maybe more than my home course off the back tee, bit thats because of the walks between tee's and the extra 300 or so yards.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
5 hours is a long time to be out on the course though. Admittedly some course take longer. For instance Castle Stuart and Spey Valley takes a good half hour maybe more than my home course off the back tee, bit thats because of the walks between tee's and the extra 300 or so yards.

I agree. but it didn't feel a long time. would I have preferred 20-40 minutes quicker - yep! Did it bother me - no not really. My own view is that we will never eradicate slow play no matter what the clubs do, the players do etc. I have a young family and trying to get time off is difficult so being out from say 07.30 - 14.00 is tough. So I would love to get quicker rounds in. But in reality, whilst we can talk the talk here, and ask players, our clubs to do something, play as quickly as we can, I don't think it ever change. There are too many unknowns every time we step out onto the course - ignorance, a bad bounce, an errant shot or two etc all of which will add time.

I don't know if the solutions, of which there are many, will ever really make a difference.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slow play with a large group unfamiliar with a course is pretty inevitable especially if they want to make the most of their day out. Not sure I have played in a larger forum meet where the rounds are not near 5 hours

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I played Remedy Oak 4 weeks ago, 120 members for a charity day. I was in the last 4 ball. Took 6.5 hours, absolute nightmare time wise.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Last first, the R&A are looking at getting more people playing golf - that is why they are trying to ensure that 9 hole golf, and golf courses, are able to be as fully involved in golf as possible. It's not a solution to slow play; but i agree it is also a targetted solution to those with less time available.

Being out on the course for less time is not, in my experience, the primary issue for the vast majority of people who cite slow play as a concern. If it were the case they would only play foresomes matches in 4 buggies....or singles, and would never ever play medal in 4s!
The primary cited concern is around being held up when playing; not on the odd occasion the group in front has a mare, but constantly and predictably.
As already highlighted different courses will play to different overall times even when there are no delays; this isn't slow play, it's underlying course speed.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
^^^^^^^^^
Is there a place, yes

Where is it, sorry I don't know

One of the courses I play regularly has a large screen tv in the pro-shop that plots the current position of each buggy superimposed onto a map of the course as flashing markers and updates in near real-time
I guess it doesn't matter whether the GPS marker is attached to a buggy or a bag tag it'll work the same so the software and app already exists

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
It's the one thing that would make me stop playing.I can't understand why people can't play out of turn.We play with a big hitter who normally goes first, but if the group in front are in range for him, we all go before him instead of waiting.
And why do men playing with ladies wait to go first when the lady could go first as the group in front is still in range for the men.And we will go if someone is dicking about.And that's why our round takes 3hr 15 and not 5 hours.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
^^^^^^^^^
Is there a place, yes

Where is it, sorry I don't know

One of the courses I play regularly has a large screen tv in the pro-shop that plots the current position of each buggy superimposed onto a map of the course as flashing markers and updates in near real-time
I guess it doesn't matter whether the GPS marker is attached to a buggy or a bag tag it'll work the same so the software and app already exists

Think man think. Whose produces such a thing? If one player in each group logged in using their phone, the pro in the shop could monitor all groups and contact those that are "out of position". Technology put to use!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Think man think. Whose produces such a thing? If one player in each group logged in using their phone, the pro in the shop could monitor all groups and contact those that are "out of position". Technology put to use!

I've never noticed a brand name on screen but I'll ask next time I'm in but fraid I'm not down to play there until end November although I'll be at one of their partner courses in 10 days so they may have similar set up just not displayed in pro-shop so I'll check there too

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've never noticed a brand name on screen but I'll ask next time I'm in but fraid I'm not down to play there until end November although I'll be at one of their partner courses in 10 days so they may have similar set up just not displayed in pro-shop so I'll check there too

If we all had to carry our mobiles with the 'track/find me' option switched on - maybe the pro shop could monitor us all in any case :)

D

Deleted member 21258

If one player in each group logged in using their phone, the pro in the shop could monitor all groups and contact those that are "out of position". Technology put to use!

I would strongly object to this and for me, it would be enough for me to leave a golf club.

I disagree strongly against the big brother culture that is being bought in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would strongly object to this and for me, it would be enough for me to leave a golf club.

I disagree strongly against the big brother culture that is being bought in.

...and I was not totally serious - missing that @CF had already suggested same.

If our group is losing pace or the group in front is we just need to grow a pair balls and tell it as it is. If the slowies get told enough times it just might get through.