What To Do About Slow Play

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Think man think. Whose produces such a thing? If one player in each group logged in using their phone, the pro in the shop could monitor all groups and contact those that are "out of position". Technology put to use!

What purpose would that serve though ? May let people thinking of going out know how busy the course is or how many 4 balls are out there and a likely time for a round. But they arent really going to turn around and go home because the 18 holes will likely take them 14 minutes more than they consider acceptable.
Otherwise its just info.
People play at different paces, have good days or bad days, spend time looking for balls because the leaves have fallen and the ground is pluggy, or are playing stroke rather than stableford, there is a mix of 3 balls and 4 balls, or whatever. There simply will be different speeds out there. Seeing it on a screen will not change that situation.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
OK, question as I have not yet played golf in the UK...

How prevalent is ready golf in the UK, whoever gets to the ball first and is ready to go, just hit it, walk on a bit ahead, be ready to go as soon as you can, etc.

It is how me and my mates play (all to less than 13 handicaps) even when we play our Skins game with money on the line. Pick up when out of the hole and so on...

Is it not just done that way in the UK?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
OK, question as I have not yet played golf in the UK...

How prevalent is ready golf in the UK, whoever gets to the ball first and is ready to go, just hit it, walk on a bit ahead, be ready to go as soon as you can, etc.

It is how me and my mates play (all to less than 13 handicaps) even when we play our Skins game with money on the line. Pick up when out of the hole and so on...

Is it not just done that way in the UK?

In our roll ups it's always ready group. In competitions though it still tends to be furthest from the pin first. That said, we usually get round in a medal and stableford (three balls) well within four hours which I consider reasonable. That said, as long as play keeps moving and there isn't too much waiting around, if it takes four hours or longer, then so be it. Not a problem to me

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
In our roll ups it's always ready group. In competitions though it still tends to be furthest from the pin first. That said, we usually get round in a medal and stableford (three balls) well within four hours which I consider reasonable. That said, as long as play keeps moving and there isn't too much waiting around, if it takes four hours or longer, then so be it. Not a problem to me

Homer:

Very strange to me you guys speak of three balls. In the USA nearly every tee time is a four ball.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Homer:

Very strange to me you guys speak of three balls. In the USA nearly every tee time is a four ball.

Most friendly golf in my place - and I guess across the UK - is 4ball. Medals and other stroke play events are invariably 3 ball - as all players have to hole out unless they are to NR - and 4 balls holing out would take just too long.