What To Do About Slow Play

D

Deleted member 1147

Out of interest - if playing a competitive medal competition, what do people consider a reasonable/acceptable pace of play:

I'll chuck in the following:

2-ball - 3.15/3.30
3-ball - 4 hours

Or is that unreasonable?

4-ball medal/competition is 4 and half hours at best btw............

We held the Midland Open at my course this year. A mate of mine spoke to one of the organisers from the MGU about the course set up and various other things. The speed of play came up and the guy told him that there is a formula to calculate how long a round should take.
He calculated our course, in competition, should take 4 hours 12 minutes to play.
This seems reasonable to me.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It will depend on the course, then the course conditions.

I can vouch for this.
Playing in a club competition earlier this year (I think it was the mens invitation) the rough and semi had been allowed to grow much longer than usual.
Going off the fairway by even a yard into the 1st cut had you searching high and low for your ball.
It definitely slowed our group down, on quite a few holes we must have spent the best part of 5 minutes searching for balls that had no right to be lost.
I felt so strongly about it I actually emailed the secretary because we had literally all been sent out an email a week or two before pointing out about the slow play epidemic and what we could do about it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Is there a reason why it used to take about 3:30 to get round when I started playing and now it takes 4:30?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there a reason why it used to take about 3:30 to get round when I started playing and now it takes 4:30?

More people playing.. More golf on TV.. Both could have an impact..

However, one thing I've noticed recently is that quite a lot of the seniors can scoot round when necessary. I've watched them play and they don't hit it very far, which means that they don't find too much trouble off the tee.. However, the added distance that comes from the new club and ball designs means that inexperienced players and mid-high handicappers can still knock it a fair distance. This means that they quite often put themselves in real trouble off the tee..

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say rough is the number one cause of slow play at ours, last time I played I was a little wayward but not by much, talking less than 5 yards, took me ages to find my ball because as soon as it was off the fairway it was not visable. Yes you should hit the fairway but the rough is too long imo. Prefer playing where the rough is of a length so you can still spot your ball.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back on topic, many relevant elements are being mentioned and it's useful to recognise them. However, it remains a complex equation to put them all back together.
A few more examples...
1. Total yardage to be walked is hugely relevant, but add in hills and you then find that different group characteristics (age and fitness!) also become relevant (more so than normal).
2. Capability combines with distance, carries and course conditions.
3. Competition elements can make a huge difference to some groups but next to nothing to others - the amount of time a 4 ball takes on a green being the biggest variable here; non comp senior fun rounds can be less than a minute in total during the summer when no one marks or takes more than one putt before picking up!
4. Match, stableford and bogey practices are also a huge variable, especially 4BBB. Some will play everything out regardless and others will literally fly around the course - looking for lost balls is another huge variable; if it's where I don't want to play from and I put another into play I'm unlikely to head over even to pick it up unless it's really close to my new route and I have time to spare - I played in an event Monday where the group in front spent 5 minutes looking for a ball in heavy rough 40 yds wide of a par 3 when they had 3 balls on the green quite close and only 2 scores would be counting....they found it and he took another 5 shots before giving up!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like to play walk at a normal pace, 3-4mph
Nowadays many players waddle along at about 1.5mph.

10/12 minute starting times helps as does marked time in and out cards.

Best action by far is slow play penalties.
Most clubs are too scared to bight that bullet.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Us olduns seem to get much of the blame for slow play but I have to say that I've played with quite a few much younger guys (30's, 40's) who, when I've said that we should move quicker as we're being pushed and losing some ground on the group in front and their response almost always is "it's my weekly round and I'm not running round for anyone".

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think more signs could be helpful. Encourage people to accept the pace of play as it is. Remind people that they are there to enjoy, the game, the company, the exercise, and the pleasant surroundings. Put signs at the tee benches asking people to take the weight of their feet for a few minutes if they are waiting to play, and rather that give in to stereotype bitching about the group ahead, just realise how lucky they are to be playing such a fine game with their friends, and that a while more on the course really doesnt amount to a hill of beans. And play your part. Tell a joke, a story, or whatever chit chat you favour and help your more excitable companions from getting too het up about not being able to play speed golf. It it comes up at committee meetings, explain that pace is not the be all and end of of being on a golf course. The anti slow play bandwagon has gotten up a steady head of steam in the last couple of decades, but attitudes can be changed. Be part of it.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think more signs could be helpful. Encourage people to accept the pace of play as it is. Remind people that they are there to enjoy, the game, the company, the exercise, and the pleasant surroundings. Put signs at the tee benches asking people to take the weight of their feet for a few minutes if they are waiting to play, and rather that give in to stereotype bitching about the group ahead, just realise how lucky they are to be playing such a fine game with their friends, and that a while more on the course really doesnt amount to a hill of beans. And play your part. Tell a joke, a story, or whatever chit chat you favour and help your more excitable companions from getting too het up about not being able to play speed golf. It it comes up at committee meetings, explain that pace is not the be all and end of of being on a golf course. The anti slow play bandwagon has gotten up a steady head of steam in the last couple of decades, but attitudes can be changed. Be part of it.

👍 I like that 👍

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Ah!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

I get all that

But For me personally, I like to play at a reasonably constant pace,
this enables me to get a rhythm going, it helps my game too.

If I suddenly come to a shuddering halt. especially 2/3 of the way round, and im standing around for 7 or 8 minutes, my legs will start to ache and my back will start to get stiff and I get grumpy and lose concentration and it all goes to rat poo.

This is why a steady pace of play is important to me and why my next addition to my golf bag will be a 12 bore :)