What the experienced golfer requires.

studentcraig

Hacker
Visit site
I am currently studying design and have chose to design a golf bag with a trolley installed. I am looking for ideas of what the requirements of the more experienced golfer is for my design brief and also targets that are a must to be meet for the golfer. Any hints or ideas will be hugely appreciated.

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
Hi Craig,

I am not an 'experienced' golfer by any means but then again I think that golf bags are the sort of thing where requirements are likely to be consistent across all golfers, including beginners.

In my view, style is really important. It needs to look good.

In terms of functionality, lighter is presumably going to be less draining on a battery.

Plenty of compartments to keep things, but not to the point of having compartments for nothing. Somewhere to keep your keys/phone/watch would be good, so a few smaller pockets rather than lots of deep pockets.

A pouch for tees would be good - far too few bags actually have decent pockets for that sort of thing at the moment (instead tees all tend to fall out of their wrapping and end up sinking into pockets with your balls and everything else).

I don't think there's much else really. Something that doesn't blow over in the wind obviously.

studentcraig

Hacker
Visit site
lol, great minds!!. Thanks mate but I am looking for what you would like outside the norm from clubs. I am looking for ideas like quick release ball compartments,new ideas for what to do with the space. A little more outside the box. Is there an essential item that you take on the course that could be doing with more storage space or even a storage place. Thank you for thoughts though

A

Alex1975

Fits in the boot of my small car, stops my clubs bashing together, easy access to rangefinder, waterproof(I dont want my fags of gloves getting wet). The rest is in my pocket, marker, repairer, tees and I can bend down on the odd occasion that I need another ball. Rugged!!!

If you are going to have one unit its going to get bulky how ever you design it, if the wheels fold into the bag the bag will be small and not doing its job of looking after your clubs.

Its a nice idea but not easy to pull off. Good luck, look forward to seeing the design.

studentcraig

Hacker
Visit site
I have two concepts, one with the trolley attached at the bottom on fibre glass for durability and also lightweight the handle is attached in to the spine of the bag and is retractable so it really only differs the height and the width of the bottom of the bag. The two wheels can be detached if needed. The other concept is that the wheel will be stored inside the bag when finished so that the size is pretty much the same. The need for these big trolleys i think is unnecessary as it really only is a wheel and a handle that is required. What do yous all need when on the course that you would like to have a space in your bag for?? fire away people all thought are welcomed!!

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
I think a few of the comments so far are going to challenge your thinking, because golf bags have already gone through several decades of evolution to get them where they are today. The point is, they are clearly already addressing most of the needs; reinventing it drastically isn't the right solution as the need just isn't there (I feel).

This strikes at the point I made earlier: there is no point adding functionality when it isn't actually needed by users. At the end of the day we just want something that will fit into the car, easy to handle, with a good battery life and plenty of space to keep our bits. We don't want a space rocket. I think most of our needs have already been catered for, or new functionality tested and either retired or included.

Good luck!

studentcraig

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I have came to discover that its defo not as easy as i thought it could have been, all this means is that i need to find a wider scope in my audience and target customers. I really do appreciate your thoughts. Thanks you

studentcraig

Hacker
Visit site
I will upload my concepts in the next week or that too show yous kind people what i have achieved..... if anything!! Couldnt be happier with your info for me. Any other thoughts or if it clicks what you would love to have next to you on the start of the back nine please dont hesitate.

studentcraig

Hacker
Visit site
yes mate, a bag and trolley combined. It can be pushed or pulled but to install a battery would defeat the purpose of keeping it lightweight and hassle free for the golfer.

A

Alex1975

I have two concepts, one with the trolley attached at the bottom on fibre glass for durability and also lightweight the handle is attached in to the spine of the bag and is retractable so it really only differs the height and the width of the bottom of the bag. The two wheels can be detached if needed. The other concept is that the wheel will be stored inside the bag when finished so that the size is pretty much the same. The need for these big trolleys i think is unnecessary as it really only is a wheel and a handle that is required. What do yous all need when on the course that you would like to have a space in your bag for?? fire away people all thought are welcomed!!

Bottom line is golfers LOVE there clubs and want them protected, you my trolley falls over and it hurts one of my clubs my trolley is not stable and not doing its job. Other than that (I have an electric) but it needs to be very easy to roll, golfers have alot of talking to do an don't want to get out of breath.

Its not going to be easy but it will be fun. You are up against people who do it for a living so you will been a hook I guess.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most cart bags comfortably address the issue of space for anything a golfer could want on the course, so I don't think you can improve much there.

One issue I think a lot of people have is with everything getting drenched when it's raining as most golf bags aren't waterproof, and the few that are you pay a premium for.

What I would like to see is a decent rain hood that isn't so flimsy that it falls over if you blow on it, and makes it easy to access your clubs whilst still keeping the (majority) of the rain off. You can buy one called a rain wedge or bag wedge, something like that to get an idea of what I'm on about.

The other thing that would be good in the rain would be a retractable cover for the rest of the bag. That would stop the need for the bag to be waterproof (expense) and would just pull out of a pocket or inside the top like the hood on a cagoule. Pull it out and fasten it with press studs or similar somewhere near the bottom of the bag.
I know you can buy complete covers but they are a pain to put on when it's raining and there's no access to the bag once they're on as far as I know.

If this goes global I'm on 5% ;)

studentcraig

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you for your thoughts alex. On my first concept i have a holder for the clubs that rotates to promote ease of use for getting access to your clubs. I have also installed foam rings to go inside the the holders for each club so there is a level of stability when maneuvering the trolley and bag and so the clubs are not rattling together and stay in the same position. What do you think of this idea?

studentcraig

Hacker
Visit site
Most cart bags comfortably address the issue of space for anything a golfer could want on the course, so I don't think you can improve much there.

One issue I think a lot of people have is with everything getting drenched when it's raining as most golf bags aren't waterproof, and the few that are you pay a premium for.

What I would like to see is a decent rain hood that isn't so flimsy that it falls over if you blow on it, and makes it easy to access your clubs whilst still keeping the (majority) of the rain off. You can buy one called a rain wedge or bag wedge, something like that to get an idea of what I'm on about.

The other thing that would be good in the rain would be a retractable cover for the rest of the bag. That would stop the need for the bag to be waterproof (expense) and would just pull out of a pocket or inside the top like the hood on a cagoule. Pull it out and fasten it with press studs or similar somewhere near the bottom of the bag.
I know you can buy complete covers but they are a pain to put on when it's raining and there's no access to the bag once they're on as far as I know.

If this goes global I'm on 5% ;)

Thanks mate, my last post states how i intend to keep the clubs safe and well stored. I also have a hood that if you can imaging is made of plastic and can be attached by placing over the bag and being pressed down on the right tracked the turned into its locked position. The hood then has a retractable hood for easier access and also a weather tight locking system to defeat the element of club grips getting wet.

A

Alex1975

Thank you for your thoughts alex. On my first concept i have a holder for the clubs that rotates to promote ease of use for getting access to your clubs. I have also installed foam rings to go inside the the holders for each club so there is a level of stability when maneuvering the trolley and bag and so the clubs are not rattling together and stay in the same position. What do you think of this idea?

very interesting...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I beleive both these are in production (because I saw them in the pro shop last week) but don't seem particularily successful (they were covered in dust!) which must be partly down to the first comment in the thread (looks) and partly the fact that they are a compromise - whilst for a number of people this is good, for most it's not; why buy one bag when you can justify buying two? :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree with much of what Barry states about the basic requirements for a bag - practicality, purpose, performance are my criteria.

Pretty wide scope for different/new styles. There is certainly scope to 'improve the widget' by clever design - retracting handles and unclip wheels being areas where this is possible. It's only pretty recently that the 3-wheel trolley was introduced.

Good Luck