What Should I Look Out For?

Grizzly

Visit site
So, following on from advice received here, I'm taking the plunge of joining a club - no small deal given West London prices. I've been invited to visit one tomorrow to meet the Secretary and play a round - so I'm picking your brains again. What questions should I be asking, and what should I be paying attention to?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Are there roll ups/swindles that are open to all. I have heard these are a great way of getting to know members when you are new and great craic once you are a regular.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Can I wear white trousers/black socks/caps in the clubhouse?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My biggest thing would be about integration, assuming you don't already have friends who play there. How will you get a regular game? Ho do you sign up for starting times, competitions, social roll ups, team golf? How is golf organised there? Any local stuff you need to be aware of?

If you've never been a club member before, say so. No harm in saying, that you need to understand "how it all works!"

Just be honest about the things you are feeling unsure of and ask.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would say ease of access is important. It may be close to your house but, if you work away, is it easy to pop into on the way home for a quick 9? I was a member of a nice course but it was 50 minutes drive away by my place of work. Now I have been working from home and changing jobs, the location isn’t so appealing so changed clubs to one 5 minutes from home- and on the way back from the new job

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
My biggest thing would be about integration, assuming you don't already have friends who play there. How will you get a regular game? Ho do you sign up for starting times, competitions, social roll ups, team golf? How is golf organised there? Any local stuff you need to be aware of?

If you've never been a club member before, say so. No harm in saying, that you need to understand "how it all works!"

Just be honest about the things you are feeling unsure of and ask.

Absolutely agree with every word. Unless you know some members at a new club, how you will integrate will be a big issue. For example, if you can only play at weekends, it will probably be important to join somewhere where competitions are drawn otherwise breaking into a regular group can be very problematic.

Another thing I would be interested in is playability in winter. If you like year round golf, it’s pointless joining somewhere which will offer only limited golf from November to March every year.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Depending on your needs:

How easy is it to get a game as new member
Are the competitions drawn
Are there any roll ups
Will you help me with getting my handicap cards arranged
What practice facilities are there
What is the social side like (obviously with Covid affecting everything)

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Just ask him whatever you want to know. Once you get the introductory nerves out of the way the conversation will flow naturally anyway. There is no right or wrong questions that he is going to judge you on. I imagine he is just making sure your not an undesirable before they let you join.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think my order of considerations would be:
Cost - is it fairly affordable and not extortionate?
Course - do I like playing the course?
Comps - is it easy to enter comps and/or get a game with other members?
If there's a warm-up or practise area. My current club doesn't have this and it's a little bit annoying.

birdyhunter

Visit site
Is the club privately owned and run, or is it run by a committee made up of members?

I've been a member of a club which was privately owned and run by just one General Manager with little input from the members. The whole point was to make money for the owners so members had to give up peak tee times to large societies and couldn't get a game... the bar prices were comparable to London hotels, etc. For the amount of money they were charging for subs it was poor value.

sunshine

Visit site
Bearing in mind the West London location...
1. Likely to be on clay, so playability in winter. Every course should be immaculate now, but how often is it closed in winter / on temp greens / etc?
2. How are new members integrated? If everyone plays with their mates how do you get involved?
3. Accessibility at the days / times you want to play. You may have a certain day in mind when you want to play and it would be frustrating if you couldn't get on at that time due to societies / seniors / ladies comps etc.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
So, following on from advice received here, I'm taking the plunge of joining a club - no small deal given West London prices. I've been invited to visit one tomorrow to meet the Secretary and play a round - so I'm picking your brains again. What questions should I be asking, and what should I be paying attention to?

How did your tour of the club go in the end?