what should be in the bag.....

Coreservers

Visit site
As my signature states, im using the Rife RX2 set, got it new for 399..and has Driver, 3wood, 4 and 5 Hybrid, and 6-sandwedge, and putter. I rarely use the driver at the moment, as im just way too erratic with it, but am hitting 190 ish off the 3 wood off a white castle tee.
But looking to expand the set a bit.
What would be your next add-on club?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is probably a big gap between your PW and SW. if so have a look at a 50 or 52° wedge, depending on what your lofts are. A wedge of that loft is very useful around the greens as well as for short approach shots.

Highslice

Visit site
The only thing you’re really missing is more wedges, but you don’t actually need them.
you could add a 3h if you are happy hitting the 4h?

But I would spend the money on lessons and practice range balls for the driver and add that to your repertoire!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd evaluate your game and see if there are shots distance wise or loft wise that would help you score better.
I find I am more reliable out of bunkers next to the green with a higher loft than my SW gives me, but it may be different for you.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't be in a rush to fill up the bag. Over time you will realise where the gaps are, say if you're 100 yards out and you only have clubs for 120 and 85 yards for example. The more you get to know your average yardages, the more easily you will see where there's a gap to fill. You don't have to get 14 clubs straight away just because you're allowed 14.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Echoing what @Orikoru says - play golf and see where there are gaps, if any and then consider your options.

I've said it loads - when you're starting out, just get enough to get you out there, enjoy the game and then invest once you've become an addict like the rest of us.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Id also agree with Orikoru and Sats

I rushed to get clubs in my bag and now they sit in a bag of spares or have been sold on again as they go un-used. Play the game and eventually you'll find a gap that a new club will plug.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Agree with previous comments.
One "rule" is, if something is working for you then stick with it, I am going to mention the white castle tee though ?. Can you spot any marks on your 3 wood to indicate where you are striking? You may wish to experiment with something lower.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m only carrying 13 clubs these days - 12 being new, the putter being my existing, when previously I was was a full 14. My Pro advised the purchase of the 12 and said we’ll see how we get on. If it turns out over time that we identify a gap or something lacking with the 12, then I can use the spare slot in my bag.

RichA

Visit site
10 clubs for me. D, 5i-PW, 50°, 56°, putter.
Whenever I mess around with fairway woods and long hybrids I add about 10 shots, so they live in the garage.
Simpler is better.
If you've got cash lying around, spend it on lessons to get the driver in play.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I can't imagine playing without 3,4,5 irons.
The 21d hybrid is temporarily suspended in favour of a 2-iron. Made a birdie 2 with that today on our longest par-3.
At the mo I have driver, 16d hybrid, 2-PW, 52d, 64d and putter.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m down to 11 clubs.

As long as you know your yardages and your gapping is sound, then you’re good. I’ve gone to c.15 yard gaps between clubs (from c.10-12 yards previously) and I’ve felt no discernible difference in my ability to cover different yardages.

As others have said above, 14 is the permissible number of clubs… not a target.

Edit: my eBay purchase history would suggest otherwise though. :rolleyes:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't imagine playing without 3,4,5 irons.
The 21d hybrid is temporarily suspended in favour of a 2-iron. Made a birdie 2 with that today on our longest par-3.
At the mo I have driver, 16d hybrid, 2-PW, 52d, 64d and putter.
I’ve gone other way - apparently more common way these days - dropping 3i and 4i, with a 4h replacing previous 3h to cover dropping these irons - and adding a 50deg Utility wedge to compliment standard wedge plus 54 and 58 wedges.

D

Deleted member 21258

Appears you are missing a Bronty, every golfer needs one of those. Thank me latero_O

60 degree wedge, very handy in bunkers and when trying to hit a ball very high, once you get used to it.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
What loft is your sand wedge?

I have several options, but my current wedge lofts are 48, 52, 56, and 60º
I can also do 48, 54, and 60,
48, 52, and 58,
or just 50 and 58.

I've left the ball in bunkers with every one of them,
and I've been thrashed by players bagging two more clubs overall than my number of wedges alone.

The bows and the arrows matter, but not nearly as much as the archer.