What should a hooker do with their grip...?

A

Alex1975

I know I know, tighten it up!!! :D:D:D

But really, I have been having been making great gains towards a real golf swing, my place and path are getting way better and some lag and weight shift is really feeling good. I have always been a slicer or fader at best so it is nice to see things getting a little more real.

However I have started to see my destructive shot being a hook, now that is still a novelty to me so I am not negative about it but could it be time to take a look at my grip.

My current grip was in place for my fade/slice and its 2 or 2.5 knuckles on the left hand and with the right hand showing 3 knuckles.

Is it time to look at this again and if so in what direction please. Bob I would love your input and anyone else who knows what they are on about.

Thanks V Much.

Alex

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your right hand sounds a little strong to me.

Where does the 'V' created by your thumb and first finger point to?
If you were to open your fingers on both hands would your palms be exactly opposite each other?

A

Alex1975

Your right hand sounds a little strong to me.

Where does the 'V' created by your thumb and first finger point to?
If you were to open your fingers on both hands would your palms be exactly opposite each other?

I would think it points to my right armpit... i will have a proper look when I have a club in my hand later. My thumb is a long way over the other hand. What will loosening it up do?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Unless its shifted recently your grip is not an issue Al, at worst its slightly stronger than neutral. Keep your focus on swing path and where your weight is, especially on the downswing and through impact

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
A good rule with the grip is to turn the hands on the club in the direction of the ball flight. So if you hook the ball turn so you see less knuckles on your top hand. but make sure the V's formed by your thumb and forefinger of both hands. point in the same direction.( About halfway between your chin and shoulder.) This will give more or less a neutural grip.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would think it points to my right armpit... i will have a proper look when I have a club in my hand later.

That sounds about right. Right shoulder is what I've read.

My thumb is a long way over the other hand.

The lifeline on my right hand sits on top of my left thumb, is that about the same as yours?

What will loosening it up do?

Sorry, I've already exhausted my knowledge on the subject. :eek:

Having said all of that though, Bob has told me my grip looks a little strong.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This is why I bought Leadbetter's training grip, and stuck it on a spare 6i bought for £4.

All this counting knuckles and pointing v's means nothing to me.

A

Alex1975

So grip is not personal to someone swing then, it is correct or incorrect?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats right the grip is the only contact you have with the club. It is the job of the grip to return the clubface square at impact. If your grip does not do that. You can have the best set-up in the world. Even swing like Luke. But if the grips wrong you will hook or slice all day long. The swing path goes a long way to dictate the direction of the ball . But its the grip that dictates if it goes on a straight or curved path. In my view its the most important part of the golf swing.

A

Alex1975

Thanks all, Fundy knows my swing pretty well and if he tells me to keep with what I am doing that is what I will do as he is my reference. It was worth an ask as alot has changed in the last month or so, I also tend to get too busy when making changes so I better keep it to one or two things, Path and weight.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thats right the grip is the only contact you have with the club. It is the job of the grip to return the clubface square at impact. If your grip does not do that. You can have the best set-up in the world. Even swing like Luke. But if the grips wrong you will hook or slice all day long. The swing path goes a long way to dictate the direction of the ball . But its the grip that dictates if it goes on a straight or curved path. In my view its the most important part of the golf swing.

I'd disagree with that to a degree. It has to be 'in the ball park' of the recommended grip, but you only have to see the variations amongst the pros to see that it's not a necessity to only grip a certain way. What's important is to find what works for you.
If you're teaching someone for the first time then I'd say yes give them the ideal neutral grip, but is it really necessary to change a slightly weak or strong grip if it's working ok?

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
your right hand may be too much under the club, i'd recommend buying a preset training grip,
then you can be confident you're in the right ball park, one variable to take out of the swing............

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
IMO go online and research the vardon golf grip theres plenty of places that explain it well.

When you are happy that its correct and you're still hooking its your swing simple as that. Guard against making changes to your grip to counteract a fault somewhere else.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say the hook as you described it comes from a closed clubface and the old out to in swing path sneaking back in.
I am confused however about your grip.
You say you can see 3 knuckles on your right hand? That would suggest weak to me.
I would suggest you keep working on improving the swing path and keep checking it with the head cover drill.
As they say, there's a big difference between real and feel.

A

Alex1975

I would say the hook as you described it comes from a closed clubface and the old out to in swing path sneaking back in.

A CLOSED CLUB FACE..... OMG!!!!:whoo::fore::eek:ne:check out the closed club face on Brad!!!

Ye, it sounds right Bob, Fundy tells me I have two swings fighting it out at the moment, I find that extremity encouraging! But it sounds like for the purposes of this topic I need to leave my ok grip alone.

"As they say, there's a big difference between real and feel." I guess this is meaning, prove to yourself with the head cover drill that your path is good regularly or STFU as you may be fooling yourself!?