Double overlap grip (ala Jim Furyk)

bwstokie

Visit site
I’ve had a bit of arthritis creeping into my right hand for a while (result of multiple breakages from too many years playing in goal) and the last couple of months my right ring finger has been literally agony after every shot. Been to the range today and changed from my usual standard overlap to a double overlap, like Jim Furyk has used for his entire career, and while the pain hasn’t completely gone using this grip, what has surprised me the most is I seem to have found some extra zip in my swing speed which has obviously transferred into extra distance but the compression and solid striking is like nothing I’ve ever had before! Even more shocking was the fact I found the dead centre of the driver face more often than ever before - the sound was completely different!

has anyone else tried this? What have I stumbled upon? Presumably it’s something to do with taking the right hand out of the equation more and helping my release?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never heard of this until now. I googled it and it seems to help those who are trail side dominant and / or close the face too rapidly through impact. There is a thread on it on golfwrx.
This got my attention as I suffer from these issues.
I just tried a few swings without a ball and it does seem to keep the face from closing for that split second longer.
I will certainly give it a go at the range. It might take some getting used to though.