What should a hooker do with their grip...?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Out right then hard left.

Can only guess without seeing your stance but would guess your clubface is open at impact and you are cutting across the ball very in to out.

Its so difficult to suggest what may be wrong with your grip without seeing the swing. If your hands are well ahead of the ball at impact you may need to strenghten your grip to square the face.

A

Alex1975

Can only guess without seeing your stance but would guess your clubface is open at impact and you are cutting across the ball very in to out.

Its so difficult to suggest what may be wrong with your grip without seeing the swing. If your hands are well ahead of the ball at impact you may need to strenghten your grip to square the face.

As it happens that is what I am working on and that is what will force this bad shot. As it goes, I am not worried about it, everyone has a bad shot, the post was more a check up than anything, but you know I will have a play with it anyhow :whistle:

A

Alex1975

Funnily enough I agree.

He's standing closed to the target and hitting a pull which is why it's starting (what he perceives to be) out to the right.

Ye to be clear its more like it starts out online(does not cross my body like a fade) and then turns hard left.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Funnily enough I agree.

He's standing closed to the target and hitting a pull which is why it's starting (what he perceives to be) out to the right.
Pulls go straight left, his starts out straight then turns hard left. Thats a hook to me.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Semantics ;) Straight-pulls go straight left, although you are right it's a pull-hook or a pull-draw depending exactly where it starts. For some reason I just call them pulls (I'm such a terrible person!)..... although in 'old money' they were a 'draw from a closed stance' :p

I think he's after a fix.... ;)

A

Alex1975

Semantics ;) Straight-pulls go straight left, although you are right it's a pull-hook or a pull-draw depending exactly where it starts. For some reason I just call them pulls (I'm such a terrible person!)..... although in 'old money' they were a 'draw from a closed stance' :p

I think he's after a fix.... ;)

Hehe, after 9 years on the right side of the course and range anything that goes left turns me on!!Seriously! Specialy if it turns left and not just blocks left.

The post was not about looking for a fix so much as checking that with my (I hate the phrase but) new swing my grip was still correct.

I am REALY enjoying the challenge at the moment as I am clearly moving forwards in my quest. I am finding it hard to calm my joy infact, although I have played long enough to know I must.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Loosen your grip, open the clubface about 3° and retake your normal grip. It should start the ball a little more right (that is the goal) and it will then also curve less you can try 5° 6° etc... just experiment, normal swing and grip so the only thing you are changing in your entire swing is the clubface.

Eventually the goal is to get you to line up square and hit 'smaller shaped ball flights'.

Your left thumb is straight down the top of the grip (12 o'clock) or a little to the right side of it 1 o'clock?, 2 o'clock??

A

Alex1975

Loosen your grip, open the clubface about 3° and retake your normal grip. It should start the ball a little more right (that is the goal) and it will then also curve less you can try 5° 6° etc... just experiment, normal swing and grip so the only thing you are changing in your entire swing is the clubface.

Eventually the goal is to get you to line up square and hit 'smaller shaped ball flights'.

Your left thumb is straight down the top of the grip (12 o'clock) or a little to the right side of it 1 o'clock?, 2 o'clock??

Hmm you have somehow stumbled upon a question I have not asked but did want to know. The draw is new to me and I have been spending a bit of time trying to work out where to start the ball. I have been aiming my feet more and more out to the right with the club head pointing at the target but I feel that is getting dangerous. Are you saying I can open the club head? As well or instead?

If the last part of your post was a question, with my current grip my thumb is at 12 o'clock.

Al

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
As it stands right now you have multiple small issues.. is say small because if I say BIG you'll get scared ;) LOL

What I'd refer you to do in the 'real world' would be to line up square and face all consequences from there. We can then get you hitting the ball properly if you want. No good things come from lining up to the right of the target, ever.

For a quick-fix you need to aim the clubface a little more to the right which as i said will start the ball a little more right, a little bit higher and a little bit less curve... just don't close your alignment any more...slowly try and creep it back more square if you dare ;)

If you have yourself aligned to the right and your clubface at the target you will hook it all day long.

What's your h/cap Alex?

Last edited:
A

Alex1975

I have left my club so I don't have one but I finished last year with 19.5.